Speed of Light: Is There Anything Faster?

In summary: If you are moving at .9c towards me and turn on a flashlight, I measure the light as moving at c. If you are going AWAY from me at .9c and shine a flashlight towards me, I measure the light as moving at c.Exactly.
Anoop Koushik
Everywhere we see that nothing can go faster than light. Light is the fastest.
Is there any accepted law that states that nothing else can be faster than light?
Or is it just that humans are unable to perceive things which is faster than light?
There might be something faster than light, giving rise to whole new dimension and a different interpretation on understanding the universe.
And also
From E=mc^(2)
Taking c=3x10^(8), m=1kg
E can never exceeded 9x10^(16) for mass of 1kg?
Why can't it exceeded ?
How is that you limit speed of light?
(By 'light' I mean EM waves)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a universal speed limit which has been found empirically to be obeyed my massless objects and impossible to reach for objects with any mass. This is not a limitation on our ability to measure things.

Anoop Koushik said:
Everywhere we see that nothing can go faster than light. Light is the fastest.
Is there any accepted law that states that nothing else can be faster than light?
Or is it just that humans are unable to perceive things which is faster than light?
There might be something faster than light, giving rise to whole new dimension and a different interpretation on understanding the universe.
And also
From E=mc^(2)
Taking c=3x10^(8), m=1kg
Why can't it exceeded ?
How is that you limit speed of light?
(By 'light' I mean EM waves)

...Special relativity. Speed varies depending on the observer in relation to a medium--let say, a vacuum or in a black hole. We assume it is C in a flat spacetime.

http://johanw.home.xs4all.nl/PhysFA...ments.html#Measurements_of_the_Speed_of_Light

Actually, c is by definition the speed of light in vaccum- that is not an assumption.

Anoop Koushik said:
From E=mc^(2)
Taking c=3x10^(8), m=1kg

No. ##E = mc^2## is only valid for objects at rest; an object in motion can have arbitrarily high energy--its energy increases without bound as its speed approaches the speed of light. The correct formula for moving objects is ##E = \gamma m c^2##, where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}##; obviously ##\gamma## increases without bound as ##v \rightarrow c##, so ##E## does as well.

PeterDonis said:
No. ##E = mc^2## is only valid for objects at rest; an object in motion can have arbitrarily high energy--its energy increases without bound as its speed approaches the speed of light. The correct formula for moving objects is ##E = \gamma m c^2##, where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}##; obviously ##\gamma## increases without bound as ##v \rightarrow c##, so ##E## does as well.
Then they formula gives indeterminate valie when v=c ?
phinds said:
There is a universal speed limit which has been found empirically to be obeyed my massless objects and impossible to reach for objects with any mass. This is not a limitation on our ability to measure things.

What is the cause for this speed limitation ?
If you are observe A and I am observer B moving very slowly compared to you, from a fixed point. Light travels at same speed for both of us if we measure?? (If light is originated from that fixed point)

Anoop Koushik said:
Then they formula gives indeterminate valie when v=c ?
Exactly. Nothing with mass can travel at c.

Don't know. It is what it is.

If you are observe A and I am observer B moving very slowly compared to you, from a fixed point. Light travels at same speed for both of us if we measure?? (If light is originated from that fixed point)
Exactly. Light travels at c in ALL inertial frames of reference. If you are moving at .9c towards me and turn on a flashlight, I measure the light as moving at c. If you are going AWAY from me at .9c and shine a flashlight towards me, I measure the light as moving at c.

Now in the first case, the light will blue shifted and in the second case it will be red shifted, but it will be traveling at c in all cases.

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, c is by definition the speed of light in vaccum- that is not an assumption.
Yes. My wording is used very loosely here sorry lol. C constant is postulate of relativity. We can guarantee C in a flat spacetime. GR C is local. In QM, Speed of light varies as photon can travel slower or faster statistically but constant on average.

Anoop Koushik said:
What we know is that theories that include this speed limit make much better predictions about results of experiments than theories that don't. We don't really know why one theory makes better predictions than another. The only thing that can answer that question is a better theory. If there was such a theory, you could ask why that theory is so good, and to answer that, we'd need an even better theory...and so on.

Anoop Koushik said:
Yes.

phinds said:
Exactly. Nothing with mass can travel at c.Don't know. It is what it is.Exactly. Light travels at c in ALL inertial frames of reference. If you are moving at .9c towards me and turn on a flashlight, I measure the light as moving at c. If you are going AWAY from me at .9c and shine a flashlight towards me, I measure the light as moving at c.

Now in the first case, the light will blue shifted and in the second case it will be red shifted, but it will be traveling at c in all cases.
What if I use only one frequency of light? How will the two cases be ?
And if the relative velocity is very huge, then the shift will be greater, but greater to what extent ?

Regardless of the frequency that is emitted, the received frequency will be red shifted or blue shifted by an amount that depends on the relative speed of the source and receiver, not on the emitted frequency. The ABSOLUTE frequency will depend on the emitted frequency but the % shifting won't.

The larger the speed, the larger the shift.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant of the universe, and is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This means that light travels about 1 billion kilometers in just under 3 seconds.

Is anything faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is known as the speed limit of the universe.

How was the speed of light first measured?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century using observations of Jupiter's moons. He noticed that the time it took for the moons to orbit the planet varied depending on the distance between Earth and Jupiter, and used this to calculate the speed of light.

Why is the speed of light important in physics?

The speed of light is important in physics because it is a fundamental constant that affects many other physical laws and phenomena. It is also used in many equations and theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity.

Can the speed of light be exceeded?

As mentioned earlier, according to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light cannot be exceeded. However, there are some theories and experiments that suggest the possibility of faster-than-light travel, such as wormholes and the Alcubierre drive. These are still highly speculative and have not been proven to be possible.