Can the Speed of Light Be Exceeded by Manipulating Distance and Velocity?

• Thread starter Edward Solomo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planck
In summary, the author thought that if he increased his distance from the fence and increased his velocity, the time between each flicker would be less than a Planck second.
Edward Solomo
Today I was driving down the road, on the side of the road, there was a fence made of many vertical slats.

I noticed that that sun was blinking on and off like a strobe light, as each individual slat would shield the sun, and each space in between the slats would expose it. I thought, if my car remained moving at the same speed, but my parallel distance between the fence was increased, the sun would flicker at an even faster speed.

In fact, if I were to increase my distance enough, and also increase my velocity, and decrease the distance between each slat, the time between each flicker would be less than a Planck second.

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a "Planck second"?

The time is takes light to travel one Planck Length.

Edward Solomo said:
The time is takes light to travel one Planck Length.

I think that's actually called the "Planck time".

Edward Solomo said:
Today I was driving down the road, on the side of the road, there was a fence made of many vertical slats.

I noticed that that sun was blinking on and off like a strobe light, as each individual slat would shield the sun, and each space in between the slats would expose it. I thought, if my car remained moving at the same speed, but my parallel distance between the fence was increased, the sun would flicker at an even faster speed.

In fact, if I were to increase my distance enough, and also increase my velocity, and decrease the distance between each slat, the time between each flicker would be less than a Planck second.

Am I missing something?

I would think the distance would either have to drop below the Planck length or your vehicle would have to travel faster than c (a ridiculous violation of SR) for that to occur, and most modern theories don't even posit lengths 'shorter' than the Planck length to have any meaning. Certainly not in the ever-popular string/M-theory, in which the intrinsic string length L[itex]_{s}[/itex], which is on the order of the Planck length, is considered to be the fundamental length.

Last edited:
What is a "Planck second", how does it differ from a regular second, and what makes you think it (or anything) is a minimum unit of time?

FalseVaccum89 said:
I would think the distance would either have to drop below the Planck length or your vehicle would have to travel faster than c (a ridiculous violation of SR) for that to occur, and most modern theories don't even posit lengths 'shorter' than the Planck length to have any meaning. Certainly not in the ever-popular string/M-theory, in which the intrinsic string length L[itex]_{s}[/itex], which is on the order of the Planck length, is considered to be the fundamental length.

Well, when I did the math, I realized it doesn't provide any practical way of getting a strobe frequency under the femtosecond.

It did get me to think about a way to time attoseconds though.

Imagine we had a thin cylindrical disc, centered about a laser. The sides of the disc is divided into 1 trillion parts, such that the laser can pass through each of the 1 trillion openings on the side of the disc.

We spin this disc 1,000 times per second, giving us 1 quadrillion hertz. Now, we take each individual pulse that exits the disc and we must find a way to divide it 1,000 times.

Perhaps you could let the laser pass through a very narrow fiber optic-like tunnel, with 1,000 appropriately spaced mini lasers that emit a laser perpendicular to the path of the laser, such that a capacitor would discharge for each of the 1,000 cells when the laser inference hit a critical value.

Is there a point to this thread other than a mindless rambling?

Zz.

it would give you some crazy diffraction patterns...like a disco ball.

1. What does it mean to be "faster than the Planck second"?

Faster than the Planck second refers to a measurement of time that is smaller than the Planck time, which is the smallest unit of time that has any physical meaning in the current understanding of physics.

2. How fast is faster than the Planck second?

The Planck time is approximately 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds, so anything faster than that would be considered faster than the Planck second. This is an incredibly small unit of time and is currently beyond our technological capabilities to measure.

3. Can anything actually move or happen faster than the Planck second?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything to move or happen faster than the Planck second. This is because the Planck time is considered to be the smallest unit of time that has any physical meaning.

4. Why is the Planck time considered to be the smallest unit of time?

The Planck time is considered to be the smallest unit of time because it is the time it takes for light to travel the Planck length (the smallest unit of length) in a vacuum. This makes it the smallest unit of time that has any physical meaning and is used as a fundamental constant in many theories in physics.

5. Are there any theories that suggest something can be faster than the Planck second?

There are some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, that propose a minimum time interval smaller than the Planck time. However, these theories are still highly speculative and have not been proven or widely accepted in the scientific community.