Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faster than the speed of light?

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    Hi, this would be my first post here. Although I've read the forums from afar for a few months now :)

I tried searching for the answers to my questions, but not being very well versed in the science of the matter it was hard for me to find the information I am looking for. I apologize in advance if I've stuck this in the wrong forum or these two videos have been addressed already. Let me know, I'll remember it for next time.

I have two videos regarding breaking the speed of light. It is my understanding that this is NOT possible. Can you help explain these two videos to myself, in layman's terms; I'll understand the complicated stuff but it's harder for my to articulate that than most of you guys.

For purposes of this conversation I'll number the videos; so they are easier to refer to. I didn't think this needed two posts.

Video #1

Video #2

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. show me the math
    2. show me the math
    Haha. This is an exercise in aristotlean logic. No math, observational support, or anything of substance - aside from excuses and sweeping generalizations. Otherwise compelling. I would like to see the error bars on the 'experimental data' - the real ones. The plastic tubing in video 1 is hilarious. Video 2 skipped the plastic tubing and went directly to crackpottery 101.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    Yeah I don't agree with them at all, I'm also not educated on the matter enough to really say why the videos are most likely false.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Jul 13, 2010 #4

DavidSnider

Gold Member

The first video is referring to group velocity. Information is not being transmitted faster than c.

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    Sweet! I did a bit of research, it wasn't hard for me to understand group velocity and how it's still not transmitting information faster than light. Thanks!

7. Jul 13, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea what Chronos is talking about, but, as DavidSnider pointed out, the paper was about superluminal "group velocities", and it was published.

http://www.physorg.com/news88249076.html

The key point in the first video, is that there is no mass or object moving at the speed of light, or faster. I would need to read more to understand the experiment, but they appear to be toying with some complex properties of waves - in this case, sound waves.

There are exotic ideas in physics which might one day allow us to circumvent the speed of light limit. For now, at best, this is all highly speculative. It may never be possible. And even if it is one day be possible, it may never be practical.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. Jul 13, 2010 #7
    I wonder if I could start a thread about damaged artificial plant micro-environments without getting in trouble....
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

It seems to me that the transfer of information at a speed faster than light may be the first thing to happen if faster than light travel is ever discovered, but the medium in which the information travels would have to be able to move faster than light, and as far as we know no such thing exists.

9. Jul 13, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really, how about inflation? The Alcubierre drive idea depends on space itself as the medium.

10. Jul 14, 2010 #9
    So would the information transfer be the rebound effect ahead of the wave that would occur at nearly the same instant that the ripple started? I'm just trying to understand what is occuring.

11. Jul 15, 2010 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

FTL information transfer suggests you could receive the signal before it was emitted. How paradoxical would that be? If logic traveled FTL, I should have thought of this yesterday.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook