1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fastest speed in a Pendulm

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. A simple pendulum is made from a 0.773-m-long string and a small ball attached to its free end. The ball is pulled to one side through a small angle and then released from rest. After the ball is released, how much time elapses before it attains its greatest speed?

2. f = 1/2pi (g/l)^1/2

3. I thought that maximum speed would be when the string is vertical for the first time.
    This would be when the pendulm had gone through 1/4 of a full oscillation.

So I calculated f =.567s
    and 1/4 f = .142s,

But this is wrong,

Am I on the right track or way off?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You thought well, but I don't think you did the calculation right. If I use the formula you provided, I get a frequency which is about 10 times larger. So you might want to redo the number crunching :smile:

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    I have seen some problems like this that have to do with Kinetic Energy.

Ek=1/2mv² so if you have any of the values for this, u can isolate for v like this:

v=√2(Ek)/m

OR.. If u can only work with potential energy you could use this equation

v=√2g▲h

▲h will be the change in height.. but ur looking for time.. so.. hmm.

You may need an equation that has "t" in it.. like P=w/t... if u could find the work done.. or something.. i dont know.. lol.. hope any of this helps.. sorry, im just starting physics! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?