Exploring the Fastest Wave Frequency: Is There a Limit Beyond Gamma Rays?"

In summary, according to the author, "high frequency waves are not necessarily dangerous, but they can be extremely disruptive and sensory overload can cause serious mental confusion."
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

What is the fastest possible wave frequency? And is it possible for there to be a frequency faster than the frequency of a gamma ray? What has happened to humans subjected to wave frequencies higher than gamma rays?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hello;

What is the fastest possible wave frequency? And is it possible for there to be a frequency faster than the frequency of a gamma ray? What has happened to humans subjected to wave frequencies higher than gamma rays?

Thanks.

(answered respectively)

There isn't any reason to believe there is one.

Yup. Faster gamma rays, or ultra high energy cosmic rays.

After everything is said and done, DNA is destroyed (as well as a number of other problems) causing cells to die.

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up.

It's just that someone told me if you transmitted a wave frequency that was high enough toward someone, it could cause a cerebral hemorrhage.

If this is true, are high frequency waves therefore used by the military?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
If this is true, are high frequency waves therefore used by the military?

Well, anything technologically feasible is often tested by the military. Whether it's "deployed' is another matter.
I recall the "Star Wars" program, which was cancelled. It was alluded in the media and other public sources that some aspects involved extremely high frequency waves. However, this technology was with respect to missles and electronic infrastructures... not humans.

As you probably know, microwaves have been tested and deployed for military use against humans. But that's probably a much lower frequency than you are referring to with "high frequency"

Edit: I found a 368 page pdf file that might interest you.
http://www.ndu.edu/ctnsp/Nielsen-EDEW.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking sound or electromagnetic waves here?
The ionising properties of em waves don't change much, once you are at xRay frequencies. However, as the energy per photon increases, you get fewer photons per Watt, intercepted by your body. You would, therefore expect less damage from an equivalent exposure to higher frequencies (same energy flux density).

Ultra sound travels really badly through air (absorbed) so it would be a poor weapon at long range. Infra sound (sub-sonic) can seriously upset peoples' brains - but, as it is difficult to direct the energy, it can turn round and bite your own troops.

Okay.

So do they use weapons such as sub-sonic waves by transmitting them through pylons that would be situated around an encampment? When you say "seriously upset peoples' brains" how so?

Thanks for replying!

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Okay.

So do they use weapons such as sub-sonic waves by transmitting them through pylons that would be situated around an encampment? When you say "seriously upset peoples' brains" how so?

Thanks for replying!

Yeah, it can cause severe, non-damaging, temporary mental confusion.
A "flash-bang" grenade used in SWAT teams would be an example.

I see... so let's say that if I had a pole emitting sub-sonic waves toward an ideal gas, what would happen to the particles in the gas? Would they begin to move apart because of the wave or would they simply absorb the wave?

Not that it matters, but I think I described the flash-bang grenade wrong.
I believe it's massive sensory overload of the sight and ears which causes the disorientation, not a sub-sonic effect. Sorry.

Anyway to your question: "Would they begin to move apart because of the wave or would they simply absorb the wave?" I don't know.
I speculate that the ideal gas would function as a medium for wave propagation. There is always some absorption, which is why any sound eventually dies out.

I am not sure that a "pole" or "pylon" would launch much sub-sonic sound energy because you need quite a large object ('loudspeaker') to radiate at 10Hz or so. I believe I have read that horns and Helmholtz resonators are used. These structures tend to be pretty non-directional as they are only a fraction of a wavelength in size.

Also, an "ideal gas" is small and can't be polarised or interact with each other in any other way than with an elastic collision so the molecules would simply carry the wave in the same way that they carry any sound wave.

1. What is the fastest wave frequency known to exist?

The fastest wave frequency known to exist is the gamma ray frequency, which has a wavelength of less than 10 picometers and a frequency of more than 100 exahertz (1020 Hz).

2. Is there a limit to how fast waves can travel?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest speed at which all forms of energy and information can travel. Therefore, there is a limit to how fast waves can travel, and that limit is the speed of light.

3. What makes gamma rays the fastest wave frequency?

Gamma rays have the highest frequency and shortest wavelength of any known electromagnetic radiation. This means they have the most energy and can travel at the speed of light, making them the fastest wave frequency.

4. Can we measure frequencies faster than gamma rays?

Currently, there is no known technology that can measure frequencies faster than gamma rays. However, scientists are continuously researching and developing new technologies that may one day be able to measure even faster frequencies.

5. Are there any potential applications for studying the fastest wave frequency?

Studying the fastest wave frequency can help us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how energy and information travel. It also has practical applications in medicine, such as using gamma rays for cancer treatment, and in communication technology, such as using gamma rays to transmit data at incredibly high speeds.