Can Windows 98 Detect a 160 GB HDD Partitioned to 32 GB FAT32?

• Thread starter kaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partition
In summary: Windows 98 can't see the 160gb hdd because it's formatted as FAT32. Windows XP can see it fine, because it's formatted as NTFS. Fat32 is not as good of a filesystem as NTFS because it doesn't have enough clusters. This can cause some programs to not work, or to run slower, because the filesystem has to work harder to store data. Also, NTFS is more secure than FAT32 because it has security labels.
kaos
I have 160 gb hdd and i partitioned it 32 gb(fat32) chunks using extended partitions.
I am now using windows xp. Can windows 98 detect this hdd?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Fat32 isn't very good. I suggest you format ntfs. Why are you dual booting windows 98 and windows xp?

dduardo said:
Fat32 isn't very good. I suggest you format ntfs. Why are you dual booting windows 98 and windows xp?
Why is NTFS better then Fat 32? Does it have a smaller cluster? Or is it security?

Is there a utility (like the one that converted fat16 to fat 32) for converting fat32 to NTFS?

(Still contemplating shifting to a NT platform.)

ntfs is better because it is more reliable, can supports more files, doesn't defragment as much and has security labels. In terms of speed fat32 is probable faster as is the case with ext2 versus ext3 for linux. Journaling operations causes some overhead, but is worth the extra reliablility.

yes i am dual booting win 98 and xp as there are some programmes that arent compatible
even with emulation (some old dos programs) and i can't seem to detect the hard disk.

What programs are you running that would force you to run windows 98? Are you trying to run some really old games? If this is the case then there are plenty virtual machines for those type of games such as scummVM:

http://www.scummvm.org/

Or hell, run Win98 in vmware or bochs, and use NTFS on your disk. The bottom line is that FAT32 is going to make you waste a LOT of that 160 GB capacity with enormous chunk sizes.

- Warren

Nevermind, I now realized you broke the 160 GB disk up into a bunch of 32 GB partitions, so the chunk size issue is not relevant -- but it'll still be really inconvenient to use 5 small logical disks that way.

- Warren

ok nvm thanks guys

You're dual-booting Windows 98 just to run DOS programs?

Put a small dos partition at the beginning of the disk and just install dos on it. (Why do you want anywhere near 32gb for dos games?) Configure your boot manager (grub, ntloader, or whatever you like) to hide the dos partition when you boot XP and hide the XP partition(s) when you boot dos. That works fine for me with a couple of 80gb disks.

Then you can use NTFS for your XP partitions.

If you want you could probably do the same thing with Win98, but why bother if all you need is dos?

(I think "32gb" is the max for Win98SE, it may be less for earlier versions. Maybe you're just slightly over the limit.)

Last edited:

1. Can Windows 98 detect a 160 GB HDD partitioned to 32 GB FAT32?

No, Windows 98 is limited to recognizing and accessing hard drive partitions up to 137 GB in size. This limitation is due to the use of the FAT32 file system, which has a maximum partition size of 32 GB on Windows 98.

2. Is it possible to partition a 160 GB HDD to 32 GB on Windows 98?

Yes, it is possible to partition a 160 GB HDD to 32 GB on Windows 98. However, the remaining 128 GB of the hard drive will not be accessible or recognized by the operating system.

3. Can I use a third-party software to bypass the 137 GB limitation on Windows 98?

Yes, there are third-party software programs available that can bypass the 137 GB limitation on Windows 98. These programs can allow you to create and access larger partitions on your hard drive, but they may not be compatible with all hardware and may not provide reliable performance.

4. What is the maximum partition size that can be recognized by Windows 98?

The maximum partition size that can be recognized by Windows 98 is 137 GB. This is due to the limitations of the FAT32 file system and the operating system's ability to access and manage larger partitions.

5. Can I upgrade my Windows 98 to a newer operating system to access larger partitions?

Yes, you can upgrade your Windows 98 to a newer operating system, such as Windows XP or later, to access larger partitions. These newer operating systems support larger partition sizes and have more advanced file systems, such as NTFS, which can handle larger volumes of data.