Unraveling the Mystery of Cooking Steak: Why Oil Matters?

In summary, using oil or fat in a frying pan prevents the temperature from reaching high enough to brown the steak.
kenewbie
So, you have steak which you toss on a hot pan. The heat eventually break apart the molecules, making oxygen and hydrogen evaporate and you are left with just carbon, a burnt crust on your steak.

My question is, why does this change when you use oil or fat?

I have two possible solutions that I can think of. The oil might work as an insulator of sorts, since the steak "floats on top of it" and thus it gets less direct contact with the pan. The other is that it might be a chemical reaction where atoms from the oil takes the position of evaporating atoms.

I consider the first explanation the most likely.

So, anyone care to enlighten me?

k

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting about the water content: as long as there is water present, the temperature cannot exceed 100 C.

Frying, or using oil, allows the temperature to exceed 100C at the surface of the meat. This, in turn, allows the temperature of the surface of the meat to get high enough so that the various components undergo browing reactions (Maillard reactions), which is responsible for the developed flavor.

The same concept holds for roasting in an oven- searing the surface with high heat allows the skin to dry out and brown.

McGee's book "On Food and Cooking" has more information about this.

Andy, did you notice he was asking why the steak doesn't brown if you use oil or fat?

The OP's question, taken literally, makes no sense. The question seems to inquire about the role of fat and frying in creating a tasty steak.

My answer is correct- in order to brown meat, the temperature must rise about 100C, and this can only happen by drying. Boiling meat will never brown.

If (s)he is truly asking "why the steak doesn't brown if you oil or fat to cook the meat", the correct answer is "Because the heat is too low".

The OP's question is just fine.

As someone with lots of experience cooking steak, the only answer I can give is that the oil is not as hot as a grill or pan surface that has been heated with flame. When I cook a steak over charcoal, we're talking about 1000 degrees or more at the surface of the grill. When you fry something in oil, you don't reach those kinds of temperatures. I believe your insulation idea is right. The oil requires far more energy to reach the heat necessary to char the steak than the metal surface does. Whether the crust is formed depends entirely on how hot the meat gets. If the meat only touches the oil (which burns above 450 degrees or so, which is NOT hot enough to char the steak), it will never char.

Last edited:
Peter that makes perfect sense, thank you.

1. Why does oil matter when cooking steak?

Oil is an essential component when cooking steak because it helps to create a flavorful crust on the outside of the steak. It also prevents the steak from sticking to the pan or grill, making it easier to flip and cook evenly.

2. Can any type of oil be used for cooking steak?

No, not all oils are suitable for cooking steak. Oils with a high smoke point, such as canola oil, avocado oil, and vegetable oil, are best for cooking steak at high temperatures. Olive oil, on the other hand, has a lower smoke point and may burn or give off a bitter taste when used for cooking steak.

3. How much oil should be used when cooking steak?

The amount of oil needed when cooking steak depends on the cooking method and the size of the steak. For pan-searing or grilling, a thin layer of oil is sufficient to coat the surface of the steak. For deep-frying, the steak should be fully submerged in oil for even cooking.

4. Is marinating steak in oil necessary?

Marinating steak in oil is not necessary, but it can enhance the flavor and tenderness of the meat. Oil can also act as a carrier for other seasonings and spices in the marinade. However, if using a high-quality cut of steak, marinating in oil may not be necessary as the meat is already tender and flavorful.

5. How does oil affect the cooking time of steak?

Using oil when cooking steak can help to reduce the cooking time by promoting faster browning and caramelization on the outside of the steak. This can result in a shorter cooking time and a juicier, more tender steak.