Exploring Fat Curves in Parametrics: Graphing and Evaluating Lengths

• Thread starter hangainlover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary: It's not that hard.In summary, the conversation covers the concept of fat circles, which are curves with equations xn + yn = 1 where n is an even integer. The task is to graph these curves for n = 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 and set up an integral for the length of the arc for n = 2k. The formula for arc length is discussed and it is determined that implicit differentiation is not helpful in solving the problem. The conversation ends with a suggestion to graph the curve and observe its shape for large values of n to determine the limit of the arc length as x approaches infinity.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

The curves with equations x" + y" = 1, n = 4, 6, 8, , are called fat circles. Graph the curves with n = 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 to see why. Set up an integral for the length S(2k), the arc of the fat circle with n=2k. Without attempting to evaluate the integral, state the value of lim S(2k) as x approaches infinity.

Homework Equations

Formula for the lengths of curves.
L= intergal of square root ((dx/dt)^2)/(dy/dt)^2) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

when n=2, it is just a regular circle, therefore it is not too difficult to parametrize the function (for example, x=cost y=cost)
However, when n gets other even number integers, i do not know how i can define it in parametrics.

Physics news on Phys.org
hangainlover said:

Homework Statement

The curves with equations x" + y" = 1, n = 4, 6, 8, , are called fat circles.
I take it that should be

xn + yn = 1​

Graph the curves with n = 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 to see why. Set up an integral for the length S(2k), the arc of the fat circle with n=2k. Without attempting to evaluate the integral, state the value of lim S(2k) as x approaches infinity.

Homework Equations

Formula for the lengths of curves.
L= intergal of square root ((dx/dt)^2)/(dy/dt)^2) dt
That's not the correct formula for arc length of a curve. Moreover, it is not necessary to paramaterize x and y in terms of t. You can read more about the arc length formula at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_length

sorry i apologize...too many typos ...
yeah that should be n and
the length formula should be square root of ((dy/dt)^2 + (dx/dt)^2 )dt

Okay, makes more sense now.

The wiki article has the arc length in terms of dy/dx. I would try that form instead.

Disclaimer: I haven't carried this through to actually solving the problem.

I've been actually trying that way.
I found that implicit differentiation doesn't help us solve it.
But, we can still isolate y by taking root of the rest.

However, I need to come up with some generalization to evaluate the value of lim S(2k) as x approaches infinity.

The problem explicitly says, do not attempt to evaluate the integral.

Try graphing the curve for several values of n. What shape does the curve approach, for large values of n? You need to make the graph and have a look at it.

1. What are fat curves in parametrics?

Fat curves in parametrics refer to curves or functions that have a large number of solutions or intersections with other curves. In other words, they have a higher degree of complexity compared to other curves.

2. How are fat curves different from regular curves?

Fat curves have a higher degree of complexity and often have multiple solutions or intersections with other curves. Regular curves, on the other hand, have a simpler structure and fewer intersections with other curves.

3. What are some real-life examples of fat curves in parametrics?

Examples of fat curves in parametrics can be seen in the study of natural phenomena such as fluid dynamics, as well as in the fields of economics and finance, where complex mathematical models are used to analyze and predict market trends.

4. How are fat curves used in scientific research?

Fat curves are used in scientific research to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They can help researchers understand the behavior and relationships between variables, and make predictions and simulations for future scenarios.

5. What are the challenges of working with fat curves in parametrics?

Working with fat curves can be challenging due to their complexity and the large number of solutions they may have. This can make it difficult to accurately model and analyze systems, and may require advanced mathematical techniques and computational tools.