Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fat People Earn Less Cash

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    http://papers.nber.org/papers/w13595

:cry: :cry: :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    This isn't taking into amount the money they spend on food. :D

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The top wage earner in my office must weigh over 300 pounds. She can barley walk.

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    Evo; OMG, that must be so painful to her. Is she wheezing too?

Everyone hates fat people. (ok not everyone, nice people don't do it, but your average joe). Because they find them "lazy" for not getting into shape, for prioritizing looking like an california specimen of man eating vegan and health-nut foods.

I remember when I weighed over 200 pounds, man it was both really irritating, getting less sleep, being miserable etc. But, the most peculiar part is that now when I am fit; People are more nice to me. I get better service, people think I am more "capable" etc. That is FUBAR.

6. Jul 17, 2008 #5
    Now, when you say "people", is it ALL people or just the skinny ones who treat you better?

7. Jul 17, 2008 #6
    Yeah, even the fatties treat me better. But the skinny or "normative" ones treat me even better.

8. Jul 17, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm taking a course in gerontology, and one of the things that was discussed was that people lose muscle-mass when they get into their later years. Fat Free Mass declines. Since that's on my mind, I couldn't help but wonder if about the ages of the people in the study. People of retirement age in the study would likely have both lower FFM and lower incomes. It seems that would have some effect on the results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?