Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fata Morgana - where do I know this name from?

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    I'm reading a book in which someone uses the phrase Fata Morgana to describe what might be "the cruel deception of a mirage".

The second I read this phrase, I was struck with an incredibly heavy feeling of reminiscance, as if Fata Morgana were a significant figure from my past.

Upon further examination, I realized Fata Morgana must've been a character from another book or movie or tv show or videogame or something.

Does anyone recognize Fata Morgana as being a character from anything at all? I'm thinking perhaps she was some vampire-chick from a 90's arcade game simmilar to street fighter (perhaps even an update of street fighter), but perhaps it was something else. Maybe a character from Cowboy Bebop - or maybe the simmilarity to Faye is just what I'm thinking of...

SOME HAS TO HELP ME, I'M GOING INSANE(R)!

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. Mar 12, 2005 #3
    It's definately NOT from the traditional roots of the word that I know her, it's almost definately from some use of the name for a character in relatively modern media...

It's not the name of a member of this forum, is it?

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Somebody's gonna tell you...

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5
    There's also a progressive house producer by the name of Fata Morgana, if you listen to that sort of music.

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6
    Nope, not a fan of house music...

8. Mar 12, 2005 #7
    WhenI was a kid there was a stripper named 'Morgana' that came through town every now and then that boasted a 60 inch chest! :tongue2:

Maybe she visited your area too! :rofl:

9. Mar 12, 2005 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Could it be Morgana from "King Arthur" that rings a bell?

Also known as "Morgan Le Fay"

10. Mar 12, 2005 #9
  11. Mar 12, 2005 #10

Evo

I thought people had already searched "Fata Morgana" and found nothing???

So, I was right!!! HARRRR!!!! :biggrin:

Sometimes being a history geek has its uses.

12. Mar 12, 2005 #11
    In my search to find out where I knew it from, I encountered the origins of Fata Morgana as a character in the King Arthur stories, and that's definately not where I know her from. I'm almost positive it was a character from something relatively recent...

13. Mar 12, 2005 #12
    ^ did you look at the "influences" in that wikipedia link?

14. Mar 12, 2005 #13

Evo

It is very possible that Morgana or Morgan was referenced in something contemporary you came across in the not too distant past. She is a an evil character after all.

15. Mar 12, 2005 #14
    I looked at the influences and such things in the wikipedia article - no luck.

It's entirely possible she was referenced or that name was used for a character BECAUSE of the roots it has in the King Arthur story, infact I'm entirely confident that's the reason for it, but I'm also positive it was a character really relating nothing to King Arthur.

16. Mar 12, 2005 #15

Evo

Do you play computer games? There are a number of references to Morgan Le fay in games. I am on my work computer so I can't go to these sites.

Search on "Morgan Le Fay" computer games. Other similar searches might find what you are looking for.

17. Mar 12, 2005 #16

Evo

Wait, Moonbear's first post had the Fata Morgana answer, sorry Moonbear.

18. Mar 12, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's okay, since I only posted links and not much explanation.

I just came across a hotel in the Dominican Republic named Fata Morgana. Makes you want to think twice before booking there, doesn't it? :rofl:

Then there's this: http://www.fatamorgana.be/tv1_master/subsite/fatamorgana/HomeFrame/
    :rofl: Maybe one of our Belgian members can explain it?

19. Mar 13, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Werner Herzog in 1971 made a documentary film entitiled Fata Morgana about the Sahara desert. I doubt that's what you have in mind. There's also a progressive rock artist, Morgana LaFey, who released an album entitled Fata Morgana in 1999. I also found a forum for video game developers, in which there is this thread. Apparently someone out there at least plans to create a video game called Fata Morgana. There's also www.fatamorgana.it, an Italian website under construction that looks as if it might be devoted to some sort of video game. There was a book written by William Kotzwinkle in 1997 called The Fata Morgana, set in Paris in 1861 (ring a bell?). In 2001, Nexon Media released the video game Shattered Galaxy (www.sgalaxy.com) in which a device called the Fata Morgana teleports characters to the planet Morgana Prime.

That's about all I could find.

20. Mar 15, 2005 #19

Mk

I had this same problem about 2 years ago was it? Then I remembered it was a fancy name for optical phenomonons caused by weather or strange heat patterns.

21. Mar 17, 2005 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

None of what I posted was what you were looking for, Waste? Damn . . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?