1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fata Morgana - where do I know this name from?

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    I'm reading a book in which someone uses the phrase Fata Morgana to describe what might be "the cruel deception of a mirage".

The second I read this phrase, I was struck with an incredibly heavy feeling of reminiscance, as if Fata Morgana were a significant figure from my past.

Upon further examination, I realized Fata Morgana must've been a character from another book or movie or tv show or videogame or something.

Does anyone recognize Fata Morgana as being a character from anything at all? I'm thinking perhaps she was some vampire-chick from a 90's arcade game simmilar to street fighter (perhaps even an update of street fighter), but perhaps it was something else. Maybe a character from Cowboy Bebop - or maybe the simmilarity to Faye is just what I'm thinking of...

SOME HAS TO HELP ME, I'M GOING INSANE(R)!

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. Mar 12, 2005 #3
    It's definately NOT from the traditional roots of the word that I know her, it's almost definately from some use of the name for a character in relatively modern media...

It's not the name of a member of this forum, is it?

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Somebody's gonna tell you...

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5
    There's also a progressive house producer by the name of Fata Morgana, if you listen to that sort of music.

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6
    Nope, not a fan of house music...

8. Mar 12, 2005 #7
    WhenI was a kid there was a stripper named 'Morgana' that came through town every now and then that boasted a 60 inch chest! :tongue2:

Maybe she visited your area too! :rofl:

9. Mar 12, 2005 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Could it be Morgana from "King Arthur" that rings a bell?

Also known as "Morgan Le Fay"

10. Mar 12, 2005 #9
  11. Mar 12, 2005 #10

Evo

I thought people had already searched "Fata Morgana" and found nothing???

So, I was right!!! HARRRR!!!! :biggrin:

Sometimes being a history geek has its uses.

12. Mar 12, 2005 #11
    In my search to find out where I knew it from, I encountered the origins of Fata Morgana as a character in the King Arthur stories, and that's definately not where I know her from. I'm almost positive it was a character from something relatively recent...

13. Mar 12, 2005 #12
    ^ did you look at the "influences" in that wikipedia link?

14. Mar 12, 2005 #13

Evo

It is very possible that Morgana or Morgan was referenced in something contemporary you came across in the not too distant past. She is a an evil character after all.

15. Mar 12, 2005 #14
    I looked at the influences and such things in the wikipedia article - no luck.

It's entirely possible she was referenced or that name was used for a character BECAUSE of the roots it has in the King Arthur story, infact I'm entirely confident that's the reason for it, but I'm also positive it was a character really relating nothing to King Arthur.

16. Mar 12, 2005 #15

Evo

Do you play computer games? There are a number of references to Morgan Le fay in games. I am on my work computer so I can't go to these sites.

Search on "Morgan Le Fay" computer games. Other similar searches might find what you are looking for.

17. Mar 12, 2005 #16

Evo

Wait, Moonbear's first post had the Fata Morgana answer, sorry Moonbear.

18. Mar 12, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's okay, since I only posted links and not much explanation.

I just came across a hotel in the Dominican Republic named Fata Morgana. Makes you want to think twice before booking there, doesn't it? :rofl:

Then there's this: http://www.fatamorgana.be/tv1_master/subsite/fatamorgana/HomeFrame/
    :rofl: Maybe one of our Belgian members can explain it?

19. Mar 13, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Werner Herzog in 1971 made a documentary film entitiled Fata Morgana about the Sahara desert. I doubt that's what you have in mind. There's also a progressive rock artist, Morgana LaFey, who released an album entitled Fata Morgana in 1999. I also found a forum for video game developers, in which there is this thread. Apparently someone out there at least plans to create a video game called Fata Morgana. There's also www.fatamorgana.it, an Italian website under construction that looks as if it might be devoted to some sort of video game. There was a book written by William Kotzwinkle in 1997 called The Fata Morgana, set in Paris in 1861 (ring a bell?). In 2001, Nexon Media released the video game Shattered Galaxy (www.sgalaxy.com) in which a device called the Fata Morgana teleports characters to the planet Morgana Prime.

That's about all I could find.

20. Mar 15, 2005 #19

Mk

I had this same problem about 2 years ago was it? Then I remembered it was a fancy name for optical phenomonons caused by weather or strange heat patterns.

21. Mar 17, 2005 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

None of what I posted was what you were looking for, Waste? Damn . . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?