Helping My Autistic Son with Momentum and Friction in a Dog's Movement

• Thread starter Sgt
  • Start date
In summary, a parent is seeking help for their 16-year-old autistic son who is having trouble with a physics question involving a dog's momentum and frictional force. The dog, with a mass of 113 g, is running at 2.00 m/s, then stops and slides 80.0 cm before turning and running in the opposite direction. The question asks for the magnitude of change in the dog's momentum and the average frictional force that caused this change. The solution involves using the formula J=FΔt to find the impulse, then using F=ma and a=Δv/t to find the force and acceleration. The parent is still online for further assistance.
Sgt

Homework Statement

I don't know how to use this forum so here we go. My 16 year old autisitc son is stumped with this question. If anyone can help me send him in the right direction it would be great, I am lost.

dog with a mass of 113 g runs to the right at 2.00 m/s, sees a mouse stopes using paws, slides 80.0 cm during deceleration, dog turns and runs other direction, calculate the magnitudes of change in dog's momentum AND the average frictional force that brings about this change.

He can't figure out what formula to use and I have no idea, can anyone point me in the right direction?

what happened to 2+2=4?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

total 1^p=0
slow down segment = 0.226ns
run in opposite direction segment = 0.226ns

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnitude of the change in the dog's momentum basically means an Impulse. Which can be figured out using the formula J=FΔt.

J=Impulse aka the answer to the first question
F=force
Δt= Change in time

You have Δt but still need force.

F=ma

m=mass
a=acceleration

You have mass but still need acceleration

a=Δv/t

Δv=change in velocity
t=time

Hopefully you can work that out good luck and I will still be online for more question

Hi there,

First of all, I want to commend you for trying to help your son with this question. It's great to see a parent so involved in their child's education.

To answer the question, we need to use two main equations: Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and the definition of momentum, which is mass multiplied by velocity.

For the first part of the question, we need to calculate the change in momentum of the dog as it stops and changes direction. To do this, we can use the equation:

Δp = mΔv

Where Δp is the change in momentum, m is the mass of the dog, and Δv is the change in velocity. In this case, the dog's initial velocity is 2.00 m/s, and its final velocity is 0 m/s (since it stops). So, Δv = 0 - 2.00 = -2.00 m/s. Plugging in the values, we get:

Δp = (0.113 kg)(-2.00 m/s) = -0.226 kg m/s

So, the magnitude of the change in momentum is 0.226 kg m/s.

For the second part of the question, we need to calculate the average frictional force that brings about this change in momentum. To do this, we can use Newton's second law again, but this time we need to solve for the force:

F = mΔv/Δt

Where F is the force, m is the mass of the dog, Δv is the change in velocity (which we already calculated), and Δt is the time it takes for the dog to stop and change direction. We can find Δt by dividing the distance the dog slides (80.0 cm) by its initial velocity (2.00 m/s):

Δt = (80.0 cm)/(2.00 m/s) = 0.4 s

Now, plugging in the values, we get:

F = (0.113 kg)(-2.00 m/s)/(0.4 s) = -0.565 N

So, the average frictional force that brings about the change in momentum is 0.565 N.

I hope this helps your son with his homework. If he has any further questions, I would recommend consulting his

1. What is "Father in need of help"?

"Father in need of help" refers to a person who is struggling or facing challenges in their role as a father. This can include financial, emotional, or physical struggles that impact their ability to provide for their family.

2. What are some common issues that fathers face?

Some common issues that fathers may face include work-life balance, financial stress, mental health challenges, and relationship issues with their partner or children. These struggles can vary depending on individual circumstances.

3. How can I help a father in need?

There are many ways to help a father in need, depending on their specific situation. Some suggestions include offering emotional support, providing resources or referrals for financial assistance, helping with childcare or household tasks, or simply listening and being there for them.

4. Is it important for fathers to seek help?

Yes, it is important for fathers to seek help when they are struggling. Just like anyone else, fathers can benefit from support and resources to navigate challenges and improve their well-being. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

5. Where can fathers find help?

There are many resources available for fathers in need, such as support groups, counseling services, and community organizations. They can also reach out to family and friends for support. It is important for fathers to actively seek out help and not be afraid to ask for it.