What is the Effect of Low Frequency Fatigue on Structural Damage?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating structural damage using Miner rules on a measured loading history. The load has a low frequency component due to soil texture and the speaker has removed it using a high pass filter, resulting in a 4 times lower damage measurement. They are asking if it is correct to remove the variation of the running mean and if the load frequency below which stress is not damaging can be treated as a static load. They welcome any suggestions.
serbring
fatigue: low frequency and structural damage

Hi all,

I have a measured loading history and I need to calculate the structural damage through the Miner rules. The signal is measured on a rod element of a plough. As you can see from the load PSD, the signal has a verly low frequency component (lower than 0.15Hz) due to not homogeneity of soil texture. It's like a loading history where the running mean of the load is variable. I removed the low frequency component through a high pass filter with a cut-off frequency of 0.4 and the damage is 4 times lower than the one of the not-filtered signal. So is it correct to remove the variation of the running mean? Can I say the signal has a costant running mean in terms of structural damage? What is the load frequency below that the stress is not damaging, but can be treated as a static load?

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
up!

Any suggestion is appreciated

1. What is fatigue?

Fatigue is a feeling of extreme tiredness or lack of energy that can affect physical and mental functioning. It is a common symptom of many different medical conditions and can also be caused by lifestyle factors such as lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and stress.

2. What is the lowest frequency of fatigue?

The lowest frequency of fatigue refers to the point at which someone experiences the least amount of energy and the most intense feelings of tiredness. This can vary from person to person and may also depend on factors such as the underlying cause of fatigue and individual lifestyle habits.

3. What are some common causes of fatigue?

There are many possible causes of fatigue, including medical conditions such as anemia, thyroid disorders, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Lifestyle factors such as lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and excessive stress can also contribute to fatigue.

4. How can fatigue be treated?

Treating fatigue involves identifying and addressing the underlying cause. This may involve lifestyle changes, such as improving sleep habits and managing stress, or medical interventions, such as medication or therapy for an underlying condition. A healthy diet and regular exercise can also help improve energy levels and reduce fatigue.

5. When should I see a doctor for fatigue?

If you are experiencing persistent or severe fatigue that is interfering with your daily life, it is important to see a doctor. They can help determine the underlying cause and develop a treatment plan to address it. Additionally, if you experience other concerning symptoms along with fatigue, such as unexplained weight loss or changes in mood, it is important to seek medical attention.