Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fault current on finite bus

1. Aug 13, 2013 #1
    so calculating FC on an infinite bus is easy but how do you calculate it by hand for a finite bus?

here is the concept i am having an issue understanding:

let say i have a transformer that is 225KVA with 5%z and 3 phase 480 to 208.

with infinite bus i have 12491A available on the secondary of this transformer IF 12291A is flowing on the secondary then based on the voltage ratio and OHMs law 5412.8 A is flowing on the primary.

If this is true then what does it matter if i have infinite amps available on the primary or i have 5412.9 amps available 12491A should still flow in my mind.

I have run this in SKM and i see that it does matter but i just dont understand why.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2013 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Let's talk in an ideal world. If you have no load, no current will flow. As you add a load to the secondary, current will flow based on the secondary voltage. Since power in == power out, then equal power will flow in the primary and you can calculate the primary current based on the primary voltage. So the key is power in == power out. Your source merely needs to be able to supply the required current.

I'm not sure where ohms law comes in since you aren't talking resistance yet. I don't quite understand your infinite vs finite either. Am I missing some basic assumption?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook