Solving the Mystery: Identifying the Faulty Bag of Balls

In summary: Try this:In summary, Vikasj007 suggests that you use a weighing machine to find out which bag contains the faulty balls. If the weight of the two balls that you weigh from the bag is not equal, then the heavier of the two balls contains the faulty balls.
geniusprahar_21
try this,
there are eight bags. each bag contains 10 balls. one of those bags contains balls weighing 2 kg(all balls weigh the same). All the other balls weigh 1 kg. you have a weighing machine (not a balance). in one weighing u have to find out which bag contains the faulty balls.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of threads with problems like this one. This version is far too easy though. Just weigh any two bags. If they balance, then the third bag contains the faulty balls. If they don't balance, the heavier of the two contains them.

AKG said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of threads with problems like this one. This version is far too easy though. Just weigh any two bags. If they balance, then the third bag contains the faulty balls. If they don't balance, the heavier of the two contains them.

Nope, this is the one where you have a scale - rather than a balance so you weigh a different number of balls from each bag. (This is typically referrred to as the counterfit coin problem.)

Vikasj007 graciously posted a more interesting version which involved 81 bags:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=33784

Oops. He even said "not a balance". Still, this one is too easy. Weigh two balls from bag A together with one ball from bag B. If the total weight is 3kg, then it's bag C, if the weight is 4 kg, then it's bag B, and if it's 5 kg then it's bag A.

AKG said:
Oops. He even said "not a balance". Still, this one is too easy. Weigh two balls from bag A together with one ball from bag B. If the total weight is 3kg, then it's bag C, if the weight is 4 kg, then it's bag B, and if it's 5 kg then it's bag A.

How do you keep missing that he said 8 Bags? Its the first line for crying out loud... It still may be easy but at least read what he wrote...

geniusprahar_21 said:
try this,
there are eight bags. each bag contains 10 balls. one of those bags contains balls weighing 2 kg(all balls weigh the same). All the other balls weigh 1 kg. you have a weighing machine (not a balance). in one weighing u have to find out which bag contains the faulty balls.

In white for anyone who doesent know the answer: Number the bags 1-8. Take 1 ball from bag 1, 2 from bag 2, exc.. Weigh the lot of them and subtract 34 from the answer... That is the bag number with the 2kg balls.

EDIT: Thanks Everneo! I did mean 36 :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

did you mean 'subtract 36' ?

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to use scientific methods to identify a faulty bag of balls among a group of bags, by analyzing the weight of the balls in each bag and determining which bag contains balls that are consistently lighter or heavier than the others.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a set of bags, a scale or balance, and a set of identical balls. It is also helpful to have a notebook or spreadsheet to record and analyze the data.

3. How do I set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, first label each bag with a number or letter. Then, weigh each bag and record the weight. Next, weigh each ball and record the weight. Finally, place the balls back into their respective bags and mix them up.

4. How do I analyze the data?

To analyze the data, compare the weights of the balls in each bag to determine if there is a bag with consistently lighter or heavier balls. You can also calculate the average weight of the balls in each bag and compare it to the weights of the balls in the other bags. The bag with the most consistently different weights is likely the faulty bag.

5. What should I do if I find the faulty bag?

If you find the faulty bag, you can either remove the faulty balls and replace them with new ones, or replace the entire bag of balls. This will depend on the purpose of the experiment and the availability of replacement balls. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency of the results.