Why Does Placing a Bag Over a Debit Card Work?

• Thread starter Hybird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a shopping bag over a debit card to make it readable for a scanner. The participants speculate that this trick may be due to the reader's sensitivity to imperfections in the card's magnetic strip. One person shares their personal experience of this trick working at a specific store. Another person suggests that the plastic bag evens out the magnetic strip, which may vary in quality among different card manufacturers.
Hybird
Could someone explain why putting a shopping bag over a debit car make it readable for the scanner? I've always wonder why this is, and I'm almost certain it has to do with physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hybird said:
Could someone explain why putting a shopping bag over a debit car make it readable for the scanner?
I've never heard of that trick, but I know of a few instances of cellophane tape being applied. From what I've seen, the fault usually lies in the reader, not the card itself. Cards work some places and not others, so I suspect that some readers have more discrimination than others and are more sensitive to imperfections. I thought that the tape might help to stabilize micro-fractures in the magnetic material, but a bag wouldn't do that. Maybe it just covers surface irregularities that would cause the card to 'skip' a bit due to uneven contact with the reader slot.

The magneitc stipe must be very close to the scanning head to make
a successful read. Even a bag's thickness is too far away.

Antiphon said:
The magneitc stipe must be very close to the scanning head to make
a successful read. Even a bag's thickness is too far away.

No this happens to me quite regularly. My card works everywhere except at the 7/11 just down the road. Everytime I go there the guy behind the counter gets a plastic shopping bag, puts it over my card and presto, it goes through. I don't have any idea why, but this trick certainly does work.

Kazza_765 said:
No this happens to me quite regularly. My card works everywhere except at the 7/11 just down the road. Everytime I go there the guy behind the counter gets a plastic shopping bag, puts it over my card and presto, it goes through. I don't have any idea why, but this trick certainly does work.

Oh I see. I had it backwards.

It's likely that there are low-level magnetic errors creeping onto the
stripe which is fooling a sensitive reader. By reducing the strength of the
signal, only the main encoding is detected.

Oh I see. I had it backwards.

Did you hear the one about the experimentalist who compiled his recent data in graph form to show his more theoretically inclined colleague?

The theoretician said ''this data makes perfect sense...we would expect to see that hump there...and that flat section is right where it should be...".

The experimentalist says "Oh dear, that graph is upside down, let me help you orient it". Without skipping a beat the theoretician continued "...and this concave region is just what we would expect from..." :smile:

I haven't heard the joke but I've lived it more than once!

I use a card scanner in my shop, and was told by the company, that the plastic evens out the strip. They told me it has to do with the manafacter of the cards, some just wear better then others. I have noticed that to be true.

1. Why does placing a bag over a debit card work?

Placing a bag over a debit card works because it creates a barrier between the card and any potential skimming devices. These devices rely on close proximity to the card's magnetic strip in order to read and steal information. By placing a bag over the card, it becomes more difficult for the skimming device to read the card's information.

2. Is placing a bag over a debit card an effective way to prevent fraud?

While placing a bag over a debit card can provide some protection against skimming devices, it is not a foolproof method for preventing fraud. It is still important to monitor your account regularly for any suspicious activity and report any unauthorized charges to your bank.

3. How does a bag prevent skimming devices from reading a debit card's information?

A bag can prevent skimming devices from reading a debit card's information by creating a physical barrier between the card's magnetic strip and the device. This makes it more difficult for the device to read the card's information and decreases the chances of fraud occurring.

4. Are there any other methods for protecting against debit card fraud?

Yes, there are other methods for protecting against debit card fraud. Some include using chip-enabled cards, signing up for text or email alerts for account activity, and regularly checking your account statements for any unauthorized charges.

5. Is it necessary to place a bag over my debit card every time I use it?

No, it is not necessary to place a bag over your debit card every time you use it. While it can provide some protection against skimming devices, it is not a foolproof method and may not be practical for everyday use. It is important to continue to monitor your account and take other precautions to protect against fraud.