Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fav Slow Rock Song

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    Whats your favorite slow rock song? Something along the lines of clapton, or coldplay? Personally I like, wonderful tonight a lot. Its a beautiful song.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't have to think about this one for more than 2 seconds:

"Kangaroo," by Big Star

After that, any slow Velvet Underground song; "Stephanie Says" comes to mind first.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Apr 3, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know what you consider 'slow'. It's also really hard to categorize some types of music into rock, pop, etc.. Two of my favourites are 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' by Bonnie Tyler and 'Stumbling In' by Suzie Q and Chris Norman.

5. Apr 3, 2008 #4
    Pink Floyd - Don't Leave Me Now

or

Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You

6. Apr 3, 2008 #5
    Too many but Fade To Black by Metallica and Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chile Peppers would probably be up there. Top 100 though would be better. :smile:

Oh and lest I forget this is a pretty much a masterpiece of slow rock: Little Wing: Jimmy Hendrix.

And another one Riders On The Storm: The Doors.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. Apr 3, 2008 #6
    as far as slow music goes, for me it's Radiohead.

Nude - Radiohead

You And Whose Army - Radiohead: mmmm

How To Disappear Completely - Radiohead: (this isn't the official video. it seems to have been made by some guy on youtube, but it works well enough with the song so)

Go Slowly - Radiohead: I'm not too sure what the lyrics are on this one, but the melody's just beautiful, especially that key change half-way through.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Apr 3, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, the classic is "Whiter Shade of Pale", by Procol Harum
    - Live performance in later years.

Three of my favorites that come to mind are Led Zeppelin's "Tea for One", Robin Trower's "About to Begin", and Spirit's "Taurus". Of these "About to Begin" with the soulful vocals of the late and great base player James Dewar is my top favorite.

LZ -Tea for One -
    Trower - About to Begin -

I don't know if Traffic's "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" or Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home", would qualify as slow, but those are also two favorites.

Another favorite and classic is Moody Blues "Nights in White Satin".

9. Apr 3, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Stairway to Heaven. Call me a traditionalist.

10. Apr 3, 2008 #9
    I'm actually listening to that right now.

'Since I've Been Loving You' is actually a "slower" song, but definitely, this is one of my favorite songs of all time, slow song or just a song in general.

"The piper is calling you to join him."

11. Apr 3, 2008 #10
    The man the myth the legend--Fats Domino

"I'm Walkin"

12. Apr 4, 2008 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of which...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/04/uk.procol.ap/index.html

Back sometime in the 70s, I think, my dad had recorded a dozen or so songs off the radio onto an cassette tape, which he named "Slow Rock Hits". It had Whiter Shade and Nights in White Satin. I can't recall all of the tracks on it; the ones I remember are House of the Rising Sun (Animals), Horse with No Name (America) and Temple of the King (Blackmore's Rainbow). All good stuff.

13. Apr 4, 2008 #12
    There's a creep cover done by 'the cure'. Its brilliant. Check it out.

14. Apr 4, 2008 #13
    This is great! You guys introduce me to music I never would have come across otherwise! Thank you PF!!

15. Apr 4, 2008 #14

Danger

Gold Member

With the right person, on a dance floor, 'Unchained Melody' is pretty hard to beat.
    I'm also very fond of 'Dream Weaver'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?