Funny and Clever Acronyms - Discover Your Fave

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, acronyms are abbreviations used in place of longer phrases. Some favorite acronyms mentioned in the conversation include C.H.A.O.S, COB, TLA, and FUBAR. Some less useful acronyms include TBD and TBD. There are also funny and creative acronyms like MAGIC and FROG. The conversation also includes acronyms used in various industries such as AGRICOLA and ARPU. Finally, there are also acronyms that are actual words like LASER. Overall, acronyms are a common and useful way to communicate in many fields and industries.
Andre
Favorite acronyms...

Acronyms are abbreviations, pronounced as words. it's much better if that's an existing word.

Today I heard:

C.H.A.O.S - Chief Has An Outstanding Solution

There must be dozens better than that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Best acronym for a deadline: COB - it either means "close of business" or "cease of bull****", depending on your work environment.

Worst acronym for a deadline: TBD - in twenty years in the Air Force, every time you looked this acronym up in the glossary it just says "to be determined". If it's taking that long to figure out what it means, maybe they should just delete it!

Last edited:
BobG said:
Worst acronym for a deadline: TBD - in twenty years in the Air Force, every time you looked this acronym up in the glossary it just says "to be determined". If it's taking that long to figure out what it means, maybe they should just delete it!
:rofl:
Here's one I like:
TLA - three-letter acronym
:rofl:(I'm still laughing at TBD).

Last edited:
MAGIC : —manual-aided gaming of integrated
combat (an electromagnetic particle-in-cell
code)

FROG—free rocket over ground

VISTA

Viruses
Infiltrations
Spyware
Trojan horses
Adware
Also, "FUBAR" was a favorite during college. Can't say it here (the last part is "...Beyond All Recognition").

The federal government has an extensive list of acronyms.

How about:

AGRICOLA Agricultural Online Access

It sounds like a new soft drink:smile:

jimmysnyder said:
There is also :
GNU - GNU is Not Unix

jimmysnyder said:
Here's one I like:
:rofl:(I'm still laughing at TBD).

How do you spell "TLA"?

Chi Meson said:
In Phila, TLA stands for Theater of the Living Arts, a.k.a the scratch theater because of the rough material that used to cover the seats.

U.F.O. - an acronym that I've heard used by waste-water processing and yacht racing people.

South Lake Union Trolley

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/332081_slut18.html [Broken]

http://www.ridetheslutshirts.com/index2.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society.

Kurdt said:
Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society.

In the Wireless industry they use the term ARPU (pronounced R-poo), it stands for Average Revenue Per User

Chi Meson said:
Also, "FUBAR" was a favorite during college. Can't say it here (the last part is "...Beyond All Recognition").

Haha! I like fubar!

Kurdt said:

Thats brilliant!

Kurdt said:

DRAGOON (Disconnected Rapid Armament Group Overlook Operation Network)
GENESIS (Gamma Emission by Nuclear Explosion Stimulate Inducing System)
ERA (Electric reactive armor)
EEE (Electrical & Electronics Engineering)

I'm surprised nobody has said LASER yet. Then again Andre did say it was much better if it was an existing word.

1. What is an acronym?

An acronym is a word or phrase formed from the initial letters of a longer name or phrase. For example, NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

2. How do you come up with a clever acronym?

To come up with a clever acronym, you can start by brainstorming words or phrases that relate to the topic or concept you want to create an acronym for. Then, try to find creative ways to combine the letters from those words or phrases in a way that makes sense and is memorable.

3. Can acronyms be funny?

Yes, acronyms can definitely be funny! In fact, many people enjoy using humorous acronyms to add some humor and lightheartedness to a topic or conversation.

4. Why are acronyms popular?

Acronyms are popular because they are a quick and efficient way to refer to longer names or phrases. They can also be easier to remember and more fun to say than the full name or phrase.

5. Are there any tips for creating a successful acronym?

Some tips for creating a successful acronym include making sure it is easy to pronounce and remember, avoiding any potential negative connotations, and keeping it relevant to the topic or concept it represents.