What are your favorite all time books?

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, favorite books are: Fooled by Randomness by Nassim TalebAtlas Shrugged by Ayn RandLord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienMaurice by E.M. ForsterFermat's Last Theorem by Simon SinghSnow Crash by StephensonHeart of Darkness by ConradThe Cave Divers by BurgessDr. Seuss books are not literary masterpieces, but they are still enjoyable.
I was surprised this week when I received a large package from my friend in New York. Turned out to be a couple of dozen science fiction books. :!)

I lost my entire collection of science fiction paperbacks when a friend that had borrowed them moved to the Phillipines and they "accidently" got packed and shipped, yeah right. Accident. :grumpy:

Anyway, he has an incredible collection of old science fiction paperbacks and some are duplicates and it really made me sad remembering all the books I lost. So, he surprised me by shipping me a bunch. :!) :!) (Except he doesn't have a duplicate Asimov's Mysteries) :frown: http://www.answers.com/topic/asimov-s-mysteries

There are some REALLY NICE people in this world, and MIH and Zooby & Zz are also people that have gone out of their way to do nice things for me and I SUCK. I owe all four of these people and I really suck. :frown: I have become a terrible procrastinator.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is worth a read. :smile:

Finished reading Avenger by Frederick Forsyth a couple of days ago. I made a point to read more of his work after watching the movie The Odessa File. I'm currently reading The Afghan by the same author. It's been only a couple of months since its release, and last night I was reading about the events that happened on September 15th, 2006!

My favorite book of all time is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I don't care if you think it is juvenile, I really love it.

Physics_wiz said:
"The Road to Reality" by Penrose. Even though I haven't finished this book, the small part I read can only be described by one word: "Beautiful"

Just thinking about it makes me happy :smile:

really? I really liked it up until chapter 8... I thought, finally, a book that is as long (and presumably thorough) as a textbook, but not as boring... but then he discusses stuff like conformal mapping, riemann surfaces, sigh... I never learned these things and he does a bad job of introducing them, so I decided to wait until I learned it in school... I am finishing up calculus, freshman in college... do I have a long wait? what is your math background?

Because its relevant to what is currently going on, I'm going to say Flatland.

<h2>1. What inspired you to become a scientist?</h2><p>I have always been fascinated by the natural world and how things work. As a child, I loved exploring and conducting experiments, and as I grew older, I became more interested in understanding the underlying principles and mechanisms behind scientific phenomena. This curiosity and passion for discovery ultimately led me to pursue a career in science.</p><h2>2. What is your favorite scientific field and why?</h2><p>It's hard for me to choose just one favorite scientific field, as I find all areas of science to be incredibly interesting and important. However, if I had to pick, I would say that biology holds a special place in my heart. I am fascinated by the complexity and diversity of life on our planet and the intricate processes that govern it.</p><h2>3. How do you stay updated on the latest scientific advancements?</h2><p>As a scientist, it is crucial to stay current with the latest research and advancements in my field. I regularly attend conferences and seminars, read scientific journals and publications, and collaborate with colleagues to stay informed and up-to-date. I also make it a point to follow reputable science news sources to stay informed about breakthroughs and developments in other fields.</p><h2>4. What is your favorite all-time book related to science?</h2><p>There are so many great books related to science, it's hard to choose just one. However, if I had to pick, I would say "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. This groundbreaking book not only revolutionized our understanding of evolution but also sparked important debates and discussions that continue to this day.</p><h2>5. How do you think science will continue to shape our world in the future?</h2><p>I believe that science will play an increasingly important role in shaping our world and addressing some of the biggest challenges we face, such as climate change, disease, and food insecurity. With advancements in technology and our understanding of the natural world, I am confident that science will continue to drive progress and improve the lives of people around the globe.</p>

1. What inspired you to become a scientist?

I have always been fascinated by the natural world and how things work. As a child, I loved exploring and conducting experiments, and as I grew older, I became more interested in understanding the underlying principles and mechanisms behind scientific phenomena. This curiosity and passion for discovery ultimately led me to pursue a career in science.

2. What is your favorite scientific field and why?

It's hard for me to choose just one favorite scientific field, as I find all areas of science to be incredibly interesting and important. However, if I had to pick, I would say that biology holds a special place in my heart. I am fascinated by the complexity and diversity of life on our planet and the intricate processes that govern it.

3. How do you stay updated on the latest scientific advancements?

As a scientist, it is crucial to stay current with the latest research and advancements in my field. I regularly attend conferences and seminars, read scientific journals and publications, and collaborate with colleagues to stay informed and up-to-date. I also make it a point to follow reputable science news sources to stay informed about breakthroughs and developments in other fields.

4. What is your favorite all-time book related to science?

There are so many great books related to science, it's hard to choose just one. However, if I had to pick, I would say "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. This groundbreaking book not only revolutionized our understanding of evolution but also sparked important debates and discussions that continue to this day.

5. How do you think science will continue to shape our world in the future?

I believe that science will play an increasingly important role in shaping our world and addressing some of the biggest challenges we face, such as climate change, disease, and food insecurity. With advancements in technology and our understanding of the natural world, I am confident that science will continue to drive progress and improve the lives of people around the globe.