Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite big cat

1. Lion

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Tiger

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Leopard

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Jaguar

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Cheetah

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  6. Snow leopard

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Cougar

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Jul 16, 2015 #1
    There are quite a few big cats so I thought it would be nice to do a poll.

The cougar has a lot of other names like mountain lion, puma, and catamount that you might or might not have heard of.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2015 #2
    The ones we have visiting our property...cougars. See one every couple of years ...but tracks in the snow just about every winter. Never an issue and not sure why they come by as they are skittish and usually avoid people. We see more lynx when snowshoe hares are scarce.

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    Tigers are a close second but Cheetahs are so dang cute and cool!

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4
    I agree. They are really fast. They make several different sounds like purrs when they are happy and content, chirps when calling for their young or when they are excited, and females meow when they are around males that want to mate. Cheetah cubs have the white fuzz on their backs until they are 2 months old to mimic a honey badger so that predators, even lions will think twice about killing it. They also chirp but it is mainly to deter predators away from them and make the predators think "Oh, its just a bird".

6. Jul 19, 2015 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I gotta vote cougar, as much as I really like to see tigers and snow leopards, when I saw a cougar in the mountains a few years ago the experience could not be matched.

7. Jul 19, 2015 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was a very difficult decision.

I love cats - all cats.

Lions - who doesn't love lions? Their social structure, their power - amazing.

Tigers - truly beautiful cats, I think. They love water, too. The ultimate alpha animal.

Leopards - like a living sculpture.

Jaguar - these have to be the most strikingly beautiful cats. So graceful.

Cheetah - the uber-athletes of the cat family. Built for speed!

Snow leopard - adorable, but they live in a tough climate - these are badass cats!

Cougars - OK now. I am an avid hiker in the Pacific Northwest of the US, which is cougar territory. This is the only animal I truly don't want to stumble upon. Yes I'm afraid of them, and yes my fear is justified.

So, I voted for Tigers. They're powerful, beautiful, and you can't take your eyes off of them (nor should you!). Plus, they don't live anywhere near me (except maybe zoos).

8. Jul 20, 2015 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

Jaguar, no question.

9. Jul 20, 2015 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

No vote for poor leopard!:oldcry: I love them too:oldlove:

10. Jul 20, 2015 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think people voted for the only can who is must unlikely to kill a man. :)
    The lion is my favorite, while the jaguar is the real vicious beast of the wild.

11. Jul 20, 2015 #10
    Justified?

When was the last time a person was killed by a cougar in your region? We have the highest concentration of cougars in North America and just one death here in the last decade. More chance to choke on trail mix when out hiking. Only ten deaths from cougars in North America in the last 25 years.

12. Jul 20, 2015 #11
    I like meerkats, does that count?

If not I'd go for a lynx (the eurasian kind). Something about those ears.
    Plus the fact that I'm glad reintroduction seems to catch on if the reports are/were correct.

13. Jul 20, 2015 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

Are you telling me that if you somehow knew you were being stalked by a cougar you wouldn't be afraid? I mean, I guess you could try and calm yourself by meditating on the "10 in last 25 years" statistic from your post, but I'm willing to bet that probably wouldn't be very encouraging in the moment.

14. Jul 20, 2015 #13
    Stalked? How often are you stalked by cougars. I've been hiking around cougars and grizzlies for decades and zero incidents. The rare time we have come across a cougar when hiking they zip up a tree faster than a squirrel.

If cougars are stalking you, don't worry because they must be really bad at it or just do it as a lark. The last cougar death was in my area of the Canadian Rockies back in 2008.

15. Jul 20, 2015 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We have mountain lions where I live, had one in my backyard a few years ago, it ate my neighbor's chihuahua and another neighbor ran over it accidentally. They usually stay up in the wildlife preserve that was 1 1/2 miles from my house, but we'd had severe drought conditions for a few years and they started venturing down.

My favorite is the snow leopard, I bought Evo Child a stuffed snow leopard when I was in the hospital when she was 2. She slept with it every night until she was 16, it is now in a place of honor in my bedroom overlooking my bed. Catty. :oldlove:

16. Jul 20, 2015 #15
    Along those lines, here we have fisher cats. Pretty cool, I saw one last month. Scared the bejeebers out of me.

17. Jul 21, 2015 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

How often? I'm not sure that's something that can be accurately quantified. I think it's reasonable to assume there are instances of cougars stalking people without their knowledge.

What I'm getting at, and I can't speak for lisab, is that fear of an event isn't always based on its likelihood. In my opinion, it's perfectly reasonable to be afraid of something even if there's a small chance of it happening, especially if the event is as traumatic as getting mauled by a large predator. I really don't want to drag this thread off-topic, so I'll drop it. :sorry:

18. Jul 21, 2015 #17
    I don't like any of them :frown:. I just can't. I only like birds, eagles, chicken and dogs.

19. Jul 21, 2015 #18
    Maine Coon :P

Our neighbors have a few of them and they like to come into our yard (because they're so cute and I started feeding them, probably) and they are just awesome cats.

Like this:
    rzsb3iD.jpg

zSGE6CU.jpg

20. Jul 21, 2015 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This post literally made me snort :oldbiggrin:!

21. Jul 21, 2015 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You say it better than I could! I backpack or hike several times a year, and there have been a few times I feel...watched. I try to shake it off, explain it away as fatigue or paranoia or whatever. I should add: I don't spook easily - zero belief in paranoia or whoo-whoo stuff. But the (very few) times I have felt stalked while in the back country...whew.

Meanwhile, this photo was posted elsewhere on the innerwebs as a leopard sighting. Comments welcome:

Leopard.jpe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook