Favorite Book Endings: Stephen King's Thinner & Low Men in Yellow Coats

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, some of my favorite book conclusions are the endings of The Thinner, Low Men in Yellow Coats, and My Brother Sam is Dead.
Mk
What are some of your favorite book conclusions, nonfiction or fiction? The top on my list were the endings of Thinner, and Low Men in Yellow Coats, by Stephen King.

Physics news on Phys.org
No favorite ending comes to mind but I'll tell you that I was not one bit surprised by the ending of My Brother Sam is Dead.

Is that the one during the revolutionary war?

Oh, I get the joke now.

Mk said:
What are some of your favorite book conclusions, nonfiction or fiction? The top on my list were the endings of Thinner, and Low Men in Yellow Coats, by Stephen King.

1984 when winston gets cured & becomes a prole & loves big brother. not the typical "happy ending" formula.

Reality mirrors fiction, you truly know your a prole when you love Big Brother:biggrin: .

The ending of the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson was good, a real this day all gods die style thing, all it needed was a fat chick and an orchestra and you could of called it opera, but then that was kind of the point.

The Ending of Crime and Punishment, the dark side of the human mind: pretty good.

Cold Heart Canyon by Clive Barker had a great ending, that man's not right in the head BTW :smile:

Last edited:
The ending of The Count of Monte Cristo is by far the most awesome conclusion to a story I've come across.

Also the ending of The Green Mile was pretty cool.

Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor", when a commercial airliner comes plummetting into the White House.

Of course, after 9/11, that stopped being a great ending in a fictional book, and just became the tragedy of life imitating art.

I might have already said this before, but the ending of Ptolemy's Gate was awesome!

When I was little I read the Animorphs series. If you chopped up the last few chapters of the last book it would have had a great ending. I still liked it though.

1. What is the ending of Stephen King's "Thinner"?

The ending of "Thinner" reveals that the main character, Billy Halleck, is cursed by a gypsy and gradually loses weight until he becomes emaciated. He eventually confronts and kills the gypsy, but the curse is passed on to his wife.

2. How does "Thinner" tie in with Low Men in Yellow Coats?

In "Low Men in Yellow Coats", a short story included in the collection "Hearts in Atlantis", a character named Bobby Garfield mentions the events of "Thinner" and how it affected his hometown. This ties the two stories together and suggests that they take place in the same universe.

3. Was the ending of "Thinner" satisfying?

This is a subjective question and depends on individual opinions. Some readers may find the ending of "Thinner" to be satisfying due to its surprising and unexpected resolution, while others may find it to be too open-ended or unsatisfying.

4. What themes are present in the ending of "Thinner"?

The ending of "Thinner" explores themes of guilt, justice, and the consequences of one's actions. It also delves into the idea of fate and whether one can escape their destiny.

5. How does the ending of "Thinner" compare to other Stephen King novels?

The ending of "Thinner" is often considered to be one of the more unique and unexpected endings in Stephen King's works. It differs from his other novels, which often have more supernatural or fantastical elements, and instead focuses on the consequences of a human character's actions.