Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Classical Music?

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    A couple months ago I've recently got into classical music. It's quite nice, but so far I've been sticking to only a few composers mostly in the Romantic style. The music is great but I'm looking to expand my horizons beyond Beethoven, Schubert, and Chopin so I wanted to ask PF: who are your top composers?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There's more in that thread.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I'm pretty hooked on Bach. When I had some demanding engineering studies to tackle, I'd get our my boxed set of the Brandenburg Concertos, and study to those.

Edit: One real advantage to listening to vinyl was that I had a manual turntable, and that made me get up off my butt at the end of every side to change albums. Between the liveliness of the concertos, and the occasional leg-stretching to change the records, it kept me awake and alert for long study sessions. The Firebird Suite was another nice one, but I preferred Bach for study because his concertos were worn into my brain and didn't distract me as much.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. Jan 15, 2010 #4
    Mendelssohn violin concerto in d minor

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    One classical composer I was stuck with for a long time, and who was not mentionned yet here, is Shostakovich. He was a very interesting fellow on top of a musical genius, although admittedly not very joyful life. You see, most wars come with a decline in art production But in Russia, WW2 came as an excuse or pretext for artists to bypass censorship, which resulted in a real artistic bloom.

Anyway, you probably know several joyful compositions of his, some were directly ordered by the party. It came to me as a surprise when I first discovered this kind of composition from the same individual : String Quartet No. 8 (Shostakovich)

Please note, I insist, that he also has much lighter, almost jazzy stuff. This is precisely this duality which I find fulfilling and fascinating. Also, from the link above
    Actually, he kept quoting himself pretty much all the time. Not that he lacked imagination, but that added another layer in the totality of his work. Very rich...

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6
    Mahler is a good one. All of his symphonies are exquisite. A good start to this composer could be the Symphony 5, as already mentioned in the list: movement 4
    it's probably the most popular of his works.

other good composers:

Prokofiev: wrote nice and light symphonies, and sweet piano concertos too (the 3rd one is amazing)

Bruckner: his symphonies are very grandeur (some good ones symphony 4,7 are a good intro)

Tchaikovsky: this guy wrote tons of music. Do a search on him, any random find will be good.

Rachmaninov: awesome piano concertos

Shostakovitch - wrote alot symphonies and some during WWII. His 10th symphony is just brilliant, it's more of a work of art then music.

Dvorak: 9th symphony

Brahms: cool stuff

Holst: Planets

Hermann, Bernard: Vertigo

Simpson: 9th symphony

8. Jan 15, 2010 #7
    www.weta.org

Click listen live. I've been listening to them for the past 8 years. It's just a matter of time, soon enough you will recognize the majority of what you hear.

9. Jan 15, 2010 #8
    Classical music can be addicting since it is such a sophisticated music, always challenging to listen to. My favorites are(spelling is probably off):

Prokofiev
    Martinu
    Egorov
    Shostakovich
    Rachmaninoff
    Mahler
    Bizet
    Arriaga

10. Jan 15, 2010 #9
    Just random from the top 100

Sibelius Finlandia

Camille Saint Saens symphony nr 3 for organ, the most exciting part:

(may sound familiar)

Smetana Moldau
    bsP-RhaAeDg[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jan 15, 2010 #10
    Not sure if this is classical Music, however the composer Rogier van Otterloo is dead. Died far too young due to lung cancer.

Here you an judge if he had potential to become a real heavy weight:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Jan 15, 2010 #11
    I'm mainly drawn to solo instrument pieces and chamber music over symphonic compositions; Erik Satie, Claude Debussy, Arvo Pärt and Maurice Ravel are some of my favorite composers.

13. Jan 15, 2010 #12
    Are there any good albums for classical music? My problem is that there are so many songs out there, and I don't know where to start.

14. Jan 15, 2010 #13
    I would say that you'd have to listen to some Stravinsky, some of his music is really quite serious, it commands a lot of power and isn't joyful like a lot of old classical stuff. The Firebird ballet has some really good parts to it.

15. Jan 15, 2010 #14
    Classical Period: Mozart's "Requiem."

20th Century: Barber's "Adagio for Strings."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook