Create the Perfect Playlist: Who are Your Favorite Comedians?

• News
  • Thread starter Fervent Freyja
  • Start date
In summary, I think that the comedian that is most likely to appeal to the OP is George Carlin. He is known for his humor that is both intelligent and dark. Other favorites of the OP include Eddie Murphy, Greg Giraldo, and Jimmy Carr.
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
My plan is to put together a playlist (a few hundred hours long) that I can listen to at work in the next few weeks. I need help. Who are your favorites to listen to? I’m open and love to explore all kinds!

• Love
Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's where I click when I want to listen to a standup comic:
1603334014235.png

Likes Fervent Freyja and berkeman
I was driving cross-county and Larry Miller's "The Secret of Skiing" came on. I had never heard it before. Laughed so hard I damn near died.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude and phinds
Vanadium 50 said:
I was driving cross-county and Larry Miller's "The Secret of Skiing" came on. I had never heard it before. Laughed so hard I damn near died.
Listened to it last night after I saw your post. Hilarious. A bit long / drawn out, but had me falling off my chair every now and then.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Vanadium 50 said:

It was hilarious. I need more!

Eddie Murphy

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
Greg Giraldo at the Comedy Central Roasts are my favorite ever. Wouldn't recommend if you don't like rude and crude jokes, however. No one gets spared.

I like quite a few.

My absolute personal favorite is George Carlin.
For instance I really love when he plays around with words and expressions. (I posted a video example but it contained some foul language occasionally, so I removed it again).

Another favorite of mine is the UK comedian Jimmy Carr.

There's also a very funny Scottish comedian I saw making improvised hilarious jokes about the jobs of various audience members, IIRC. I don't remember his name at the moment but I will go and see if I can find the video on youtube, and post later if I find it.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
I feel that the OP may have finished their playlist by now.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Kenny Bania has a 12 minute bit on ovaltine. It's gold.

Jim Jeffries likes Science. His vision of the people driving the train of humanity forward are Scientists.
He also gives a nice summary of evolution.

The first time I was ever interested in stand up was being forced to watch Bill Hicks, totally different.
I don't think anyone has grabbed me since in the same way.

Likes collinsmark
DennisN said:
I like quite a few.

My absolute personal favorite is George Carlin.
For instance I really love when he plays around with words and expressions. (I posted a video example but it contained some foul language occasionally, so I removed it again).

Another favorite of mine is the UK comedian Jimmy Carr.

There's also a very funny Scottish comedian I saw making improvised hilarious jokes about the jobs of various audience members, IIRC. I don't remember his name at the moment but I will go and see if I can find the video on youtube, and post later if I find it.
They say that Bill Hicks took from Carlin, I like both. I also like Bill Burr, Jim Jeffries and Ricky Gervais.
I did not think Ricky Gervais would work as a stand up but he is actually great.
Bill Burr just sounds so funny that high pitched NY accent. Brilliant on the observational stuff too.
Louis C.K. who is good.

Besides Ricky Gervais I don't like British stand up and British comedy on TV in terms of series is just rubbish compared to the US.

Just compare something like Mash, Cheers, Frasier, Friends, Scrubs, House, The West Wing to anything here and very little we have produced stands up. A few series of Black Adder, Red Dwarf and the Office and that is pretty much it. Our series are typically 6 episodes? US about 20?
The West Wing was not a comedy but had more good intelligent comedy writing than anything I can think of here. Same with House.

Likes DennisN
I also like Bill Hicks, Ricky Gervais and Bill Burr a lot :smile:. I haven't seen Jim Jeffries.

Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
I also like Bill Hicks, Ricky Gervais and Bill Burr a lot :smile:. I haven't seen Jim Jeffries.
Lots of clips on YT. Gun crime is good. This is making fun of Brits. He lived here for a while.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and collinsmark
pinball1970 said:
This is making fun of Brits
Very funny! :smile:

Here's one of my favorites with Ricky Gervais:
(he gets an extra plus from me for managing to make humor out of such a difficult topic)

(link to clip removed by me, the poster)
-------------------------------------------------
Edit:

I posted a clip with Ricky Gervais, but later I got second thoughts about posting it, since (1) I saw another clip (see *below) and (2) this is an international forum and it was about a tricky topic (if you want to see the clip, search on youtube for "Ricky Gervais on Hitler").

I posted it because I am a fan of dark humor, and I personally like to laugh even about very serious matters (not always, though). But I also realize it's not everybody's cup of tea.

* I have the same opinion as Ricky Gervais in this clip (at 1:01 and onwards) that the subject of a joke may not be the same as the target of a joke. And in the clip I posted before Hitler was the target. But it is a tricky and sensitive topic, so maybe I shouldn't have posted it on PF.

-------------------------------------------------

And here is George Carlin playing with words and expressions:

George Carlin -- Airline Announcement (Part 1 of 2)

(part 2 is here)

Last edited:

1. Who are some popular comedians that should be included in a perfect playlist?

Some popular comedians that could be included in a perfect playlist are: Dave Chappelle, Amy Schumer, Kevin Hart, Ali Wong, and Trevor Noah.

2. Are there any specific genres of comedy that should be represented in a perfect playlist?

It ultimately depends on personal preference, but a well-rounded playlist could include a mix of stand-up, sketch, improv, and satire comedy.

3. How many comedians should be included in a perfect playlist?

Again, this is subjective, but a good range could be anywhere from 10-20 comedians. This allows for a diverse mix of styles and personalities.

4. Should the playlist include only well-known comedians or should lesser-known comedians be included as well?

It's always good to mix in some lesser-known comedians to introduce listeners to new talent. However, including some well-known comedians can also add familiarity and appeal to the playlist.

5. Can a perfect playlist be created for just one specific comedian?

Yes, a perfect playlist can certainly be created for just one specific comedian. This can be a great way to showcase their best material and give listeners a deeper understanding of their comedic style.