Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite crackpot theories.

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm sure you've all heard a lot of them in your time, so share with me some of the most rediculous ones, or ones that amuse you most.

I just stumbled across this little beauty:

http://www.nov55.com/geol.html
    The person explains in vaguely how soil formation through the means of breakdown of rock is impossible, and instead, soil must have come from space. Along the way, he demonstrates little to no understanding of any soil or geological processes.
    The line that cracks me up the most has to be "Sediments and shale have no similarities"

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2
    there's a guy called zecharia sitchin who is apparently the only person in the world who can "correctly" read & interpret ancient sumerian clay tablets. according to him, the nice God from the New Testament is an alien called Enki (actually true in mainstream) & his evil brother Enlil from the planet Nibiru. We can't see Nibiru anywhere because it's so far away; it comes close to Earth only once every 3600 years or so. according to Sitchin, humans were part of one of Enki's genetic engineering experiments and Enlil thought is was stupid & tried to kill everyone off. he was God in the Old Testament & Enki was the nice God from the New Testament who wanted to take care of everybody. way back whenever there were nuclear wars, etc between the rest of the 'gods' from Nibiru & it's all written in the Bible.

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3
    ^^ at least the bible would make a lot more sense.

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5
    ^ Just read a bit of that. Was reminded of the time on the Subway where this guy was having a rather perplexing conversation with himself.

Cliffs on what the jist of what hes talking about? I tend not to read things where im called stupid twice in one sentence.

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No idea, but I couldn't stop laughing the first I heard of it. I felt bad cause they guy appears to have a very serious mental disorder.

8. Apr 25, 2005 #7
    If you'll scroll down to the bottom of the [time cube] page, you'll find a few diagrams that seem to explain the core of his theory. If I'm understanding it correctly, he's defined 4 points on the Earth's surface 90 degrees apart, and since each of them experiences a full day during a rotation of the Earth, there are really *4 days* per every rotation of the Earth, rather than just 1.

As for a mental condition, I wouldn't presume to diagnose him, but he makes the following statement on his webpage:

9. Apr 25, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

10. Apr 25, 2005 #9
    I love the one when Thomas Huxley has finished a lecture and an old lady stands up:

That one gets me every time. :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

11. Apr 25, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wonder who these people are. I really wanna meet em. I wonder what credentials make him a "biologist"!

12. Apr 25, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

"Male+female cancel each out." What class do i need ot take to understand this math equation?

13. Apr 25, 2005 #12

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I love the one that says "Jesus lives here." :rofl:

14. Apr 25, 2005 #13

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Introduction to Politics, of course.

15. Apr 25, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same ones that make me qualified to build the next space shuttle. :rofl: You can claim to be anything you want, it doesn't make it true.

16. Apr 25, 2005 #15
    I would never say that any particular one was my favorite; there are too many to choose from. But this one just arrived in the mail from a "financial advisor", so it's my "favorite of the day". Presumably, it's meant to convince the prospective customer (i.e., sucker) to buy some tax-deferred annuity or whatnot. I'll just copy it down here, exactly as I received it:

:surprised :surprised :surprised

I guess some MBA thought of this one.

17. Apr 25, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha, the the time cube... 'wisest human being on earth'.

18. Apr 25, 2005 #17
    I think that the Time Cube is a joke, and a pretty good one.

19. Apr 25, 2005 #18
    :eek: Time Cube :eek:

Apparently he doesn't think it's a joke. That is one sick puppy!

20. Apr 25, 2005 #19
    What makes you think he doesn't think it's a joke?

21. Apr 25, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Someone suggesting that I was Tribdog in disguise was one of the more cracked ones that I've heard recently. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?