Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Latex Editor

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    What do you guys use to write your documents? And why?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2
    I don't have a lot of experience and my Latex history is pretty short (a few months)...I started out of curiosity and...

I had looked into Lyx but had a bit of hard time 'getting it' and I seemed to have understood that the code that they generate is not quite 100% latex.

Then, I run into Gummi and like the idea of dual panes with source on one side and pdf on the other...but soon I found that is not quite complete and lacked development activity.

Then, I found Texmaker and like it very much! It is very much a complete piece of software and is easy to install on MS-Windows AND Linux.

my 2 cetns

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3

Hepth

Gold Member

I started with LED, but then moved to Texmaker. Both of these are good, Texmaker the best. Very easy to install, and has a good preview plane with the ability to jump back and forth between the preview (equation) and the matching code in long documents.

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

I also use vim.
    There are certainly more comfortable/graphic etc choices, but I decided to use vim for any programming task because I work both on windows and latex machines and vim is available and fast on any system. Furthermore I am writing with the ten finger system and vi doesn't force you to leave the baseline to enter commands.

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    For windows TeXnicCenter absolutely the best!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook