Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite meal

1. Dec 30, 2003 #1
    I have a number of dishes I really like but I think my Moms' homemade chicken and dumplings would be number 1.
    What do you like? Please tell us.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2003 #2
    That depends on the time of the day. If i'm watching some good show or movie, nothing beats a nice big bowl of thick soup, with an entire loaf of bread to dunk with and a mug of cold chocolate.

4. Dec 30, 2003 #3
    sashimi
    sushi
    oyster
    curry fishballs
    various Chinese food
    everything that taste good

5. Dec 30, 2003 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

any lebanese food, especially baba ganoush...

6. Dec 30, 2003 #5
    Baba ganoush... Yum...

I really like the sushi rolls I have been making lately.

But mostly, I think home-made pizza is the best. My pizza includes:
    - BBQ sauce.
    - hot salami
    - shredded ham
    - cheese
    - mushrooms
    - capsicum
    - sun-dried tomatoes
    - olives
    - onion
    - pineapple
    - anything else I can find that might work.

7. Dec 31, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love food. I love food from every culture; in fact our pinnacle of culinary delights was found not in Paris, but in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is the place to experience the cuisines of the world. I don't know what we ate half the time [Tsunami and I], but most of it was the best thing I ever tasted. Indonesian foods knocked my socks off!

Also, I could eat tacos every day of my life; and did for six months once; much the same for pizza and American Chinese food.

I make a killer Chicken Kiev...when it comes out right.

Its hard to beat a Blank Angus ribeye steak, barbequed over an open flame, fueled with lots of oak wood and charcoal, and with as much heat as possible; heavily smoked and medium rare please. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! This is my only other specialty but it is a real favorite. Tsunami taught me her family's steak barbeque secrets and we have worked to perfect them for 20 years.

PS. it is possible to ignite the paint on a BBQ by using wood instead of, or even with charcoal. This produces flames about 12 feet high and modifies the ambiance significantly.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  8. Dec 31, 2003 #7
    I make the absolute best potato soup on earth...bar none, end of discussion.

9. Dec 31, 2003 #8
    All on the same pizza??

10. Dec 31, 2003 #9
    This thread is making me hungry

11. Dec 31, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love potato [potatoe if you're republican ] soup.

Fess up, what's the recipe?

please please please

12. Dec 31, 2003 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really, if I give you some email addresses, will you tell my friends?

The only place they eat food at are steak houses the worst food ever, you get an ienie tiny little piece of meat, with a salad that fits into an egg shell and french fries without sauce (you have to pay for that separately).

My favorite food is raw chicory with pieces of orange and smoothered in a sauce of sour cream with orange lemonade. Together with that you serve warm french bread and deep fried chicken, which was first dipped into a batter of flour and spices, egg and fine bread crums.. sooo good!

13. Dec 31, 2003 #12
    Chicken Fried Steak
    Mashed Potato(e)s or Plank Fries
    Fried Okra
    Green Beans
    Copious amounts of Cream Gravy with Black Pepper
    Grill Toast
    Sweet Tea

Gumbo
    Lots of Crackers

My body weight in Boiled Shrimp

14. Dec 31, 2003 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once made potato cakes, which were heavenly!

Recipe: boil potatoes, mash them with lots of powdered cumin and fresh coriander and some salt. Roll them into flat cakes, bake until golden brown in some vegetable oil.

Together with that I served an Indian chickpea dish with rice on the side, I had guests over and they were floored

15. Dec 31, 2003 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the chickpeas:

In some oil fry an onion, 2 tbsp coriander, 2 tbsp cumin, some turmeric, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar.

Add 3 cups of chickpeas, 2 fresh chopped green chillies, 2in crushed fresh ginger, 2 chopped firm tomatoes (add some extra tomato paste for sauce).

Simmer 5 min, add 3oz chopped fresh coriander.

Taste and add extra spices/sugar to make it perfect and enjoy!

16. Dec 31, 2003 #15
    so many choices..hmmmm

Babba Ganoush is good- with a nice tabouli. But I prefer just some hoummous and pita bread myself;)- or quefta(sp?) the lamb

salmon sushi with udon noodle soup and some warm saki.

Tapa and shanghai rice or garlic rice -also lumpia

and mom's good ol' taco salad. YUUMMMY

17. Dec 31, 2003 #16

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

you must be from the good ol' south :)

18. Dec 31, 2003 #17
    Hell yes.

19. Dec 31, 2003 #18
    Hmm.. I like to make fried rice with onions, bell peppers (red and green) and soy sauce. Yum.

I could eat avocadoes plain as a meal.

Pitas with hummus and a bunch of stirfried vegetables in them.

20. Dec 31, 2003 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure. I can't say enough good about Amsterdam; especially the food!

Even wandering around Utrecht was fun...chocolate and danish shops. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

By the way, you Nederlanders should tell us Americans that when we go shopping in Holland, we have to bring our own bags.

21. Dec 31, 2003 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! Can you imagine my surprise when all of a sudden a young guy started packing my groceries when I was in the US? I couldn't figure out whether to tip him or what..

and if someone doesn't come to pack your groceries, do you have to stand and wait, or do you have to start packing yourself? And when someone arrives, do you stop packing and let that person take care of it, or should you just pack along? I just found it all very confusing..

Now we are on the subject: don't you find it a terrible waste to double pack every single item in plastic bags?? At least in Holland we stuff as much as we can in our own shopping bags that we bring along

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?