Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite operating systems

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I should have presented this as a poll: But what are the favorite computer operating systems among Mathematics, Physics, and Engineering enthusiasts (students, professionals, teachers, researchers)? Any particular or general reasons why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Do you really want to know? :tongue:

Well, MS-DOS is one of my favourites. Nostalgy, I guess.

4. Feb 4, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

As a student I use linux based systems in my computer engineering courses for hardware based programming in assembly and C/C++. The reason is becuase it comes with all the needed libraries right from the install so there is no need to go looking for them. And also there are no licensing issues to worry about.

5. Feb 4, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All the *nix flavors.....

6. Feb 7, 2007 #5
    IOS... But it was actually made from Unix I believe.

I use *nix at home along with xp and osX. My preference depends on what I am trying to do.. I use osx the most however, and I like the interface, and even more so I like what is under the hood... For Buisness application I prefer Unix or Solaris.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  7. Feb 7, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like a cygwin-windows combination.

8. Feb 7, 2007 #7
    I've been sticking to Linux for the past few months. I've not tried out all the flavours, so I'm still a newbie. I still have XP sitting for a few things. Once I find apps that can do stuff that I rely XP for, then I will bid farewell to Windows. (Actually, the rest of the world would do that too, if they can find the suitable programs that run on Linux :biggrin:)

9. Feb 7, 2007 #8

ranger

Gold Member

If you want to try all the flavors, you have a long way to go. There are over 350 distros out there ;) If you are looking for win32 equivalent apps, you can look through this list for some suggestion.

10. Feb 7, 2007 #9
    I don't want to go through all the distros, at least not right now...I'm not that adventurous. May be the most popular ones, with a large user base and support, in the near future, say FC, openSUSE, et.al. In fact, new ones are popping up like mushrooms on a daily basis. There's one distro, and there are two others, which are same excpet for desktop environments, and the one with closed-source stuff pre-installed, and one with no closed-source stuff at all, and then there's one with a religious bias!

11. Feb 7, 2007 #10

ranger

Gold Member

Could this be Ubuntu for Christians (Ubuntu Christian Edition)? :rofl:

I tend to stick with the only open source software (even games!). I dislike having any closed source software on my [linux] machine. IMHO, it goes against the philosophy of GNU/Linux. I tend to limit myself to rpm and pkg based distros only. It helps in the decision process of figuring out what new distro to use next.

12. Feb 7, 2007 #11
    Actually, I listed all the off-shoots of Ubuntu there, including Ubuntu CE. K/X/Ubuntu, Linux Mint, gNewSense and Ubuntu CE.

I just have a few proprietary software on borad (Ubuntu 6.10). Acrobat Reader, Opera, although I Firefox is my browser of choice.

13. Feb 7, 2007 #12
    My opinion is that Windows is the worlds best operating system based on the fact that even though it has its downs, it is still designed to be usable for a variety of users ranging from retired to beginners and it isn't that shameful for programming either.

However, as a not-so-generic computer user, I would have to say any open source (ish) system designed for programming, modeling and overall computations. Take your pick.

14. Feb 7, 2007 #13
    Actually it really does depend on what systems you want to operate, right? Windows wouldnt be the worlds best operating system for a fridge or perhaps a space shuttle now would it :smile:

Anyway I disaggree and would say that a Mac is far easier to use than windows, (for a desktop pc)... But easy of use for me doesnt equate with best

15. Feb 7, 2007 #14
    True. :smile:

What I meant to say was that Windows is one of the most all around versatile operating systems.

16. Feb 7, 2007 #15

ranger

Gold Member

It depends on your perception of "all around versatile". :wink:

17. Feb 7, 2007 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Waiting on my dual boot Fedora Core--XP laptop right now......

18. Feb 8, 2007 #17

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: Versatile is what's available that gets the job done with the least amount of aggavation on my part.

In the case of uPs there is no OS, you write your own.

I might note that MS DOS could be considered a variant of UNIX. :tongue2:

19. Feb 8, 2007 #18
    Why?............................

20. Feb 8, 2007 #19

graphic7

Gold Member

21. Feb 8, 2007 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?