1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Physics Device

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    Favorite Physics "Device"

For an upper level undergraduate class I need to give a 50 min. presentation on some physics device. Could you guys give me some ideas for some "cool", but more advanced physics devices, such as a Gauss Cannon (they should be things you could pick up). Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Favorite Physics "Device"

Per the PF rules, could you give us some more of your own ideas first? You've given one, which is good. But if you could give your top 10 first, then it would be appropriate for us to help you brainstorm more...

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3

10 would be more than enough if I could think of that - I thought this was exempt from the PF rules as finding these devices myself wouldn't enhance the learning process. No worries though, I'll just do it myself I guess. You can lock the thread.

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

rollingstein

Gold Member

IMHO, it would.

6. Jan 30, 2013 #5

berkeman

Okay. Thread locked because you want us to do your thinking for you in your schoolwork. Definitely not PF material.

7. Jan 30, 2013 #6

berkeman

I'd like to re-open this thread because it is such an interesting question. But because it is a schoolwork assignment for you, we shouldn't offer up ideas for answers to the question. Instead, we should be able to ask you questions that lead you to answer the question...

What is a physics device? In a way, a TV remote control is a physics device. On the other end of the spectrum, the neutrino detector buried deep underground was a physics device (and it helped solve one of the most important science puzzles of our generation).

I'll ask again for you to do the work to post your top 10 ideas, and then we can ask more pointed questions to help you in your schoolwork assignment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook