Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Scientist?

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    I was just wondering what you guys consider to be your favorite scientist, inventor, visionary etc.?

I would say mine was Nikola Tesla. He was able to accomplish things that even with today's technology we cannot reproduce. One example would be his "ball lightning" a 1.5" ball of electricity that scientist do not currently understand.

Tesla had a ton of innovations, discoveries, inventions, and produced many results in the field of electromagnetism.

ps if this post is out of place feel free to move it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2
    I admire almost all of the great scientists. I think Claude Shannon had a lot of interesting and original ideas. I also am amazed at how genius and prolific Kelvin and John von Neumann were.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    Richard Feynman and Henri Poincare are my favourites, though I must say I admire almost all scientists in the 1930-70s era.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    I agree. Tesla is my favourite too. He was a national hero in my country and though I live in Canada now, I still admire him a great deal.

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another fast 3 months go by.

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6
  8. Jun 27, 2012 #7
    Favorite scientist?

I'm not saying it's Giorgio Tsoukalos,
    but it's Giorgio Tsoukalos.

Feynman and Bethe come in a close second.

9. Jun 27, 2012 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Favourite scientist is at first sight a slightly weird question. But if we mean the combination of attractive or interesting personality and outstanding scientific bravura and significance it is hard to beat Johannes Kepler. Additionally to Kepler's laws, every now and then you find a first by him that you hadn't realised. Not too well known is the first more than speculation but rather thoughts of a recognisably scientific type about an atomic theory - in precise and meaningful relation to an observable - which was the form of the snowflake.

10. Jun 27, 2012 #9
    Edwin Hubble :)

11. Jun 28, 2012 #10
    Max Planck, Erwin Schrodinger, and Werner Heisenberg

12. Jun 28, 2012 #11
    Carl Sagan. Einstein. Newton. Democritus.

13. Jun 28, 2012 #12

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I've read «surely your joking Mr. feynman»,the interesting parts of Feynman's life,some months ago.I think he was an interesting guy also with good contributions.
    I also like kepler because his laws coming out of a bunch of numbers,show so much effort and will.
    Albert Einstein was interesting too.

I also want to talk about disliked scientists
    I just don't like Stephen Hawking,I think he talks too much.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  14. Jun 29, 2012 #13
    Leonard Susskind!
    Mainly because it was his lecture series "Modern Physics: Classical Mechanics" was what got me into physics and maths. Before I saw those I thought physics was just mindlessly f=ma'ing the fun out of everything and that maths wasn't really very helpful.

15. Sep 15, 2012 #14
    Faraday, Newton, Planck, Curries, Tesla, Galileo, Edison, Mandaleiv, Bohr, come to mind quickly. Newton is my favorite followed by Tesla. Although Galileo in his time was the best of the best. Too bad he pissed off the Pope and had to spend his last years in house arrest. The Pope must have seen something in Galileo otherwise Galileo would have been put under.

16. Sep 15, 2012 #15
    Spelling error on my previous post. "Mandaleiv" shoud read "Mendeleev". Can't spell to save my life.

17. Sep 15, 2012 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Giorgio!!!

18. Sep 15, 2012 #17
    Forgot to add Doc Brown to that list. I must be mad.

19. Sep 15, 2012 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How efficient; bring back old "fave scientist" thread every 3 months instead of starting a new one. Much better.

Has anyone said Sheldon Cooper yet?

20. Sep 15, 2012 #19
    Richard Feynman and Alan Turing.

EDIT: It's a tie.

21. Sep 15, 2012 #20
    Feynman by a landslide because of his humor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook