Favorite Scientist? Nikola Tesla - Innovations, Discoveries & Inventions

• Thread starter grantwilliams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: Feynman are my favoritesIn summary, the conversation revolved around discussing favorite scientists, inventors, and visionaries. Many names were mentioned, including Nikola Tesla, Claude Shannon, William Thomson (Lord Kelvin), John von Neumann, Richard Feynman, Henri Poincare, Giorgio Tsoukalos, Johannes Kepler, Edwin Hubble, Max Planck, Erwin Schrodinger, Werner Heisenberg, Carl Sagan, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Leonard Susskind, Faraday, Newton, Curie, Galileo, Edison, Mendeleev, Bohr, and Doc Brown. The conversation also touched on disliked scientists such as Stephen Hawking and the controversy of Galileo's house
grantwilliams
I was just wondering what you guys consider to be your favorite scientist, inventor, visionary etc.?

I would say mine was Nikola Tesla. He was able to accomplish things that even with today's technology we cannot reproduce. One example would be his "ball lightning" a 1.5" ball of electricity that scientist do not currently understand.

Tesla had a ton of innovations, discoveries, inventions, and produced many results in the field of electromagnetism.

ps if this post is out of place feel free to move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I admire almost all of the great scientists. I think Claude Shannon had a lot of interesting and original ideas. I also am amazed at how genius and prolific Kelvin and John von Neumann were.

Richard Feynman and Henri Poincare are my favourites, though I must say I admire almost all scientists in the 1930-70s era.

grantwilliams said:
I was just wondering what you guys consider to be your favorite scientist, inventor, visionary etc.?

I would say mine was Nikola Tesla. He was able to accomplish things that even with today's technology we cannot reproduce. One example would be his "ball lightning" a 1.5" ball of electricity that scientist do not currently understand.

Tesla had a ton of innovations, discoveries, inventions, and produced many results in the field of electromagnetism.

ps if this post is out of place feel free to move it.

I agree. Tesla is my favourite too. He was a national hero in my country and though I live in Canada now, I still admire him a great deal.

Another fast 3 months go by.

Agreed ^^^ with Tesla. He paved the way for a lot of breakthroughs. My personal favorite is Leonard Susskind. His work in physics is amazing. Here's a link.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bad-boy-of-physics

Favorite scientist?

I'm not saying it's Giorgio Tsoukalos,
but it's Giorgio Tsoukalos.

Feynman and Bethe come in a close second.

Favourite scientist is at first sight a slightly weird question. But if we mean the combination of attractive or interesting personality and outstanding scientific bravura and significance it is hard to beat Johannes Kepler. Additionally to Kepler's laws, every now and then you find a first by him that you hadn't realized. Not too well known is the first more than speculation but rather thoughts of a recognisably scientific type about an atomic theory - in precise and meaningful relation to an observable - which was the form of the snowflake.

Edwin Hubble :)

Max Planck, Erwin Schrodinger, and Werner Heisenberg

Carl Sagan. Einstein. Newton. Democritus.

I've read «surely your joking Mr. feynman»,the interesting parts of Feynman's life,some months ago.I think he was an interesting guy also with good contributions.
I also like kepler because his laws coming out of a bunch of numbers,show so much effort and will.
Albert Einstein was interesting too.

I also want to talk about disliked scientists
I just don't like Stephen Hawking,I think he talks too much.

Last edited:
Leonard Susskind!
Mainly because it was his lecture series "Modern Physics: Classical Mechanics" was what got me into physics and maths. Before I saw those I thought physics was just mindlessly f=ma'ing the fun out of everything and that maths wasn't really very helpful.

Faraday, Newton, Planck, Curries, Tesla, Galileo, Edison, Mandaleiv, Bohr, come to mind quickly. Newton is my favorite followed by Tesla. Although Galileo in his time was the best of the best. Too bad he pissed off the Pope and had to spend his last years in house arrest. The Pope must have seen something in Galileo otherwise Galileo would have been put under.

Spelling error on my previous post. "Mandaleiv" shoud read "Mendeleev". Can't spell to save my life.

QuarkCharmer said:
Favorite scientist?

I'm not saying it's Giorgio Tsoukalos,
but it's Giorgio Tsoukalos.

Feynman and Bethe come in a close second.
Giorgio!

GregJ said:
Edwin Hubble :)

Forgot to add Doc Brown to that list. I must be mad.

How efficient; bring back old "fave scientist" thread every 3 months instead of starting a new one. Much better.

Has anyone said Sheldon Cooper yet?

Richard Feynman and Alan Turing.

EDIT: It's a tie.

Feynman by a landslide because of his humor.

Fermi

What were Nikola Tesla's most famous inventions?

Nikola Tesla was known for his numerous inventions, but some of his most famous ones include the Tesla coil, alternating current (AC) power, and the radio.

What is Nikola Tesla's most significant contribution to science?

Tesla's most significant contribution to science was his development and promotion of AC power, which revolutionized the way electricity is transmitted and used today.

What was Nikola Tesla's most famous discovery?

Tesla's most famous discovery was the rotating magnetic field, which forms the basis of AC motors and generators.

Why is Nikola Tesla considered one of the greatest scientists of all time?

Tesla is considered one of the greatest scientists of all time due to his numerous groundbreaking inventions, his contributions to the field of electricity and magnetism, and his visionary ideas and concepts that were ahead of his time.

How did Nikola Tesla's inventions and discoveries impact the world?

Tesla's inventions and discoveries have had a significant impact on the world, particularly in the fields of electricity, transportation, and communication. His work on AC power systems has made electricity more accessible and affordable, while his contributions to radio technology have revolutionized global communication. His concepts and ideas also continue to inspire and influence modern technologies.