Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
Ack! I can't spot the second half at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a fun tune I ran across.
Italian singer Adriano Celentano released a song in the 70s with nonsense lyrics meant to sound like American English, apparently to prove Italians would like any English song.

Video is fun too:

This is one of my all-time favorites.

Likes fresh_42 and DennisN
This song cracks me up. I don't know why the beat of horse hooves and a slide guitar fit Saturn so well, but it works for me!

Last edited:
Don't worry about the writing or the music, just watch! :-p

Been there done that.

Been there done that

Had the guts, got the glory. True story.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
This is pretty cool

Then came...

And then...

Likes Spinnor

The most beautiful love song ever written, imo. And who could have done it better?

Likes collinsmark
Ivan Seeking said:
The most beautiful love song ever written, imo. And who could have done it better?

That being said, some time ago I fell madly in love; more in love than I thought humanly possible. And for three years this song was running in my head almost constantly. They were the best three years of my life... so far. :) The funny thing was, as if someone hit a switch, every cheesy love song I'd ever heard suddenly made total sense to me. I was truly helpless. I was completely out of control. It was wonderful! And it changed me forever.

I recently saw two fascinating interviews with two sound engineers who recorded the very famous Beatles album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and I post them below.

They describe background info, e.g. that "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" were the two first songs recorded, and that the idea of the album being a sort of a concept album did not materialize until about half of the songs had been recorded. The idea behind the album was that The Beatles had decided to stop touring, and the album was intended as being about a show on stage in front of an audience.
This explains the intro song:

and also that there is a reprise of the song with some variations later on that album.

There's much more interesting info in the two interviews (e.g. the sound engineers played a huge role in making the album since The Beatles wanted it to sound very different from anything ever recorded):
And here's another recent long interview with Paul McCartney where he tells a lot
of Beatles stories:
(FYI @pinball1970 and @ZapperZ who I know are Beatles fans :smile:)

Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
John Lennon's 80th birthday

I think I'm going to be ill. :H

I heard a couple of tunes on World Cafe on NPR.

I like the base line.

Likes DennisN
Heard this instrumental piece today on PsyRadio.
Very groovy and dance oriented with lovely synth lines.

Shiloh ‎– Café Del Mariachi (Original Mix)

Astronuc said:
I like the base line.
Massive Attack has made some great songs, here are three more:

Angel

Teardrop

Dissolved Girl

I've had this on repeat all day:

not a song just a music

Last edited:
Why I never saw Prince live is a mystery...

Prince - 1999 (Live at The Summit, Houston, TX, 12/29/1982)

Prince - Let's Go Crazy (Live At Paisley Park, 1999)

Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
(where Prince shows his guitar skills at 3:28 an onwards)

Likes Spinnor, collinsmark and DennisN
Sat through the whole movie yesterday on a hard kitchen chair just for this. There's a choir, that makes it a song, right?

Likes Demystifier, Spinnor and DennisN
I've always loved this really old song since I first heard it. The melody in the verse is great, in my opinion.
First performed by Ethel Waters in 1933, and afterwards recorded by many other famous artists over the years.

Stormy Weather - Ethel Waters (1933)

Likes collinsmark and cybernetichero
Another old favorite of mine, here excellently performed by young Angelina Jordan in a song contest:

Angelina Jordan Sings Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

Original is here. The song is partly inspired by The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Likes cybernetichero
We've got (unseasonable) stormy weather tonight here in my part of the world.

I just love the chorus but can't sing along 'coz I get choked up.

Likes Spinnor
I've heard this song in so many versions but when I heard this on Spotify today I thought, "If he were any MORE laid back he'd be unconscious". Have a cup of hot coffee handy.

Likes BWV
Two nice live deliveries from ol' R.E.M. :

R.E.M. - All The Best (Live)
R.E.M. - Alligator Aviator Autopilot Antimatter (Live At Hansa Studio)

A lesser known version of a well known tune

I don't think there is 1 particular song . I like Clean Bandit , Sia , Linkin Park.

Helena Wells said:
I don't think there is 1 particular song . I like Clean Bandit , Sia , Linkin Park.
Favourite songs can change with your mood. You can have a different one every day if you want.