Favorite songs (new thread)

fresh this woman and her friends rip the night away
bought the cd bought the t shirt
can't stop playing it
Thanks for posting, I will check them out! I like the energy, and the steadfast guitars! :smile:

pinball1970
Gold Member
That song reminded me a bit of calypso music. Which I happen to like for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on. But I know it puts me in a good mood and makes me happy :smile:.

which also was covered by The Andrews Sisters - Rum And Coca-Cola 1944:
I thought the Andrew Sisters did Mr Sandman but it's these guys. I think I posted this before too. I live this sound/style. Crunchy close harmony, not easy to do.

BWV
RIP Joao

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Now I know of two songs with lots of fish puns in them.

and

Perhaps there are more!

pinball1970
Gold Member
Jazzy funky and hippy as hell, 1970 a great Year for music (ignoring the high profile deaths)
This is Air, Googie Capolla amazing blues rangy cool as hell voice. More talent in the first 60 seconds singing on this track than the pop dross of the last few years.

A great, groovy, skilled, long guitar solo, live by John Squire of The Stone Roses:
(the drummer is pretty good too :smile:)

Original song is here, the classic Fool's Gold from 1989.

pinball1970
Gold Member
On it was this very nice song, "Watch", where she does lovely "glides" with her voice (I think the correct musical term is "glissando"):

Billie Eilish - Watch
The video was a tad disturbing...
Nice voice though.

pinball1970
Gold Member

pinball1970
Gold Member
A great, groovy, skilled, long guitar solo, live by John Squire of The Stone Roses:
(the drummer is pretty good too :smile:)

Original song is here, the classic Fool's Gold from 1989.
I should like this I suppose but after 30 years I am still undecided.
It is groovy has guitar based riffs Madchester but I was a rocker at time wondering where all these floppy hats came from.
All the science guys liked Purple Hendrix and Metallica and went to the UMIST rock disco.
All the floppy hats went to the Hacienda.
It was a culture thing.

pinball1970
Gold Member
I have been listening to a lot of these vocal only songs, I am a Macca fan but and this is his fave track according one q and a with him. It's in my top 5.

Last edited:
My favorite for all time? It will always be Steelheart - She's Gone. :oldbiggrin: :oldbiggrin:

pinball1970
Gold Member
My favorite for all time? It will always be Steelheart - She's Gone. :oldbiggrin: :oldbiggrin:
I know the Hall and Oats song, same one ? Edit : no, not the same

Last edited:
KateG5

Attachments

Ahhhh 😉 Time to dance! :smile:

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I just found this track from Asia's:
The start of the track reminds me of the problem of QG: " This problem is insoluble..."

256bits
Gold Member
Some real music, real relaxing.

( Not the best recording )

Aufbauwerk 2045
This song from The Magic Flute is one of my favorites, sung by one of my favorite boys choir. The part about superstition giving way to enlightenment and men becoming like gods in a heaven-like kingdom on earth is what I believe. Science and enlightenment in general is the way. A good message for July 4th, since that is the philosophy of Jefferson, Franklin, Paine, and other great champions of the enlightenment.

Bald prangt, den Morgen zu verkünden
Die Sonn' auf goldner Bahn,
Bald soll der Aberglaube schwinden,
Bald siegt der weise Mann.
O, holde Ruhe, steig hernieder,
Kehr in der Menschen Herzen wieder,
Dann ist die Erd' ein Himmelreich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich,

Please search online for a professional English translation. Here is my own loose translation.

Soon the blazing sun comes on its golden way to herald the morning. Soon superstition shall vanish. Soon the wise man shall be victorious. Oh come sacred peace, return to the human heart. Then the earth will become a heavenly empire, and mortals will become equal to gods.

Since it's been some time since I was active here, I decided to look over my old posts and respond to what I now think is rubbish. For example, the attitude expressed in this song is something I only believed in for a limited time. Now I reject it totally. I can't go into details because this forum does not allow any religious discussion. But I'll just mention that my religion (Roman Catholicism) is totally incompatible with the ideas expressed in this song. I think they are more along the lines of Freemasonry, which I do not belong to. As Rachmaninoff said, "music is a spiritual activity." So be careful.

Aufbauwerk 2045
10K by 10K matrices? No problem. I own you, linear programming.

It's a video thread, right?

Maybe I was drinking when I posted this? Good thing I'm sober now.

Aufbauwerk 2045
Speaking of loose translation, had I not been enjoying a favorite beverage of the founding fathers, I would have translated "holde Ruhe" a bit differently. I think "fair peace" or "beautiful peace" is correct. Any native German speakers are welcome to provide any corrections. As the great German writer Wilhelm Shakespeare once said, "to err is human, especially after an adult beverage." Long live the Reinheitsgebot.
I still like the Reinheitsgebot, but I don't like this song anymore. I don't agree with its philosophy.

BWV
Since it's been some time since I was active here, I decided to look over my old posts and respond to what I now think is rubbish. For example, the attitude expressed in this song is something I only believed in for a limited time. Now I reject it totally. I can't go into details because this forum does not allow any religious discussion. But I'll just mention that my religion (Roman Catholicism) is totally incompatible with the ideas expressed in this song. I think they are more along the lines of Freemasonry, which I do not belong to. As Rachmaninoff said, "music is a spiritual activity." So be careful.
Nothing Mozart wrote was rubbish

Mozart joined the Freemasons in 1784, and remained an active member until his death. His choice to enter the lodge "Zur Wohltätigkeit" was influenced by his friendship with the lodge's master, Baron Otto Heinrich von Gemmingen-Hornberg, and his attraction to the lodge's "shared devotion to Catholic tradition."[10] Nor was Mozart's Masonic commitment the most likely source of his occasional anti-clerical statements, and even less indicative of any essential antipathy to Catholicism. Such anti-clericalism is much more easily attributed to the fashionable anti-clericalism of Febronian Catholicism favored by those in power in Mozart's social ambit at this period, which still reflected curiously a very conservative Counter-Reformation aesthetic environment.[11]
Freemasonry was banned by the Catholic Church in a Papal Bull entitled In eminenti apostolatus issued by Pope Clement XII on 28 April 1738. The ban, however, "was published and came into force only in the Papal States, Spain, Portugal, and Poland."[12] It was not promulgated in Austria, where Mozart lived, until 1792 (after Mozart's death). Hence, although the Catholic Church's opposition to Freemasonry would eventually become known in Austria, during Mozart's lifetime "a good Catholic could perfectly well become a Mason," and it is clear that Mozart saw no conflict between these two allegiances.
[13]

Time to dance to the groove...!