Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
  • #1,016
I agree, 20 year old Olivia is quite good. After her initial success I was wondering if she might be a one album phenom but it looks like she might be around for a while. By coincidence I just ordered her new CD this morning.BTW, I love that Tommy Emmanuel clip further up the thread. Especially the part where he pulls the capo off the neck and chucks it.

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
waternohitter said:

I prefer 'Amazing' of this band, lyrics with the final conclusion.

• #1,018
There can only be one Jarre... :smile:

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene, Pt. 17 (Official Music Video)

• #1,019
... and only one Candy Dulfer!

• Love
Likes DennisN
  • #1,020
but Bob Wills is still the king

• #1,021
New live album out

• #1,022
Maybe not for everyone but I like this style of music

• #1,023
I listened to this song again today and remembered how much I like it.
I think it's a darn good song, probably my favorite Foo Fighters song.
The lyrics, riffs and powerful chorus is just spot on, in my ears at least :smile:.

Foo Fighters - Times Like These (Official Music Video) (US Version)

The reason I listened to it today was because I saw a story about the background to the song.
Interestingly enough this song came about after Foo Fighters were very close to breaking up,
after having spent 1 million dollars on recording a new album which they thought was crap.
So they scrapped that entire album and called it "the 1 million dollar demos". :biggrin:

The story is here:

About to BREAK UP After Spending 1 Million on Record They HATED…Band Wrote an Opus—Professor of Rock

Another one of my favorite Foo Fighters songs is this one:

Foo Fighters - M.I.A.

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,024
I'm not sure how famous she is in the states but we love her over here!
That's from here new album, all covers of German songs.

• #1,025
A quite rough song (indierock/shoegaze) by one of my favorite bands, Wolf Alice (UK).
I love it and I love the band :smile:.

Wolf Alice - Moaning Lisa Smile

Another good song, which surprises at 3:00 when it goes from indiepop/rock into something way more rough :smile::

Wolf Alice - Sadboy (Official Video)

• #1,026
It's Halloween times, so here is the excellent Night of the Vampire by Roky Erickson (psychedelic rock):

• #1,027
Have to tap video then tap speaker. This Chinese girl has it going on

• #1,028

Hush • Deep Purple, see​

Focus - Hocus Pocus​

• #1,029

Bruce Springsteen, It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City​

• #1,030
I loved (and still love) the first two albums by the band Garbage.

Here's an energetic live performance of "Stupid Girl":

Garbage - 'Stupid Girl' live on TFI Friday

Likes collinsmark and morrobay
  • #1,031
JT Smith said:
I agree, 20 year old Olivia is quite good. After her initial success I was wondering if she might be a one album phenom but it looks like she might be around for a while. By coincidence I just ordered her new CD this morning.BTW, I love that Tommy Emmanuel clip further up the thread. Especially the part where he pulls the capo off the neck and chucks it.

I got the chance to seem Tommy Emmanuel last night. He's quite something, an amazing entertainer. He did all of his classic stuff, mind blowing some of it, a few new things, and he had two incredible guest musicians. Phenomenal.

I also splurged recently to see Olivia Rodrigo on tour next year. I can't stop listening to her music.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,032
A lovely song from the early 1980s:

Bruce Woolley - Blue Blue (Victoria) (1981)

• #1,033
I recently discovered this song, and I like the feeling and emotion in it a lot. :smile:

York & Ferry Tayle Feat. Asheni - Under The Stars

• #1,034
I'm surprised there seem to be no reaction videos to Alan Stivell. (Are there any Alan Stivell aficionados at PF?)

Here are 2 of my favourites:

Reflets:

Broceliande:

(If there's any interest, I'll post translations of the lyrics.)

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
  • #1,035
10 minutes of absolutely exquisite musicianship...
...words fail to describe how good they are.... :))

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing (Alchemy Live)

...and I read a fun comment on a Mark Knopfler video on youtube:

Somebody on the internet said:
Several years ago I asked a bandmate and guitarist friend if he would give me some guitar lessons.
Told him I want to play like Mark Knopfler.
He replied, "We ALL want to play like Mark Knopfler!
:biggrin:

...and I also read a fun quote about Jimi Hendrix:

Somebody on the internet said:
Jimi plays better with his teeth than most people with their hands.

And it's true! :biggrin:

• Love
Likes BillTre, collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #1,036
strangerep said:
I'm surprised there seem to be no reaction videos to Alan Stivell. (Are there any Alan Stivell aficionados at PF?)

Here are 2 of my favourites:

Reflets:

Broceliande:

(If there's any interest, I'll post translations of the lyrics.)

I haven't heard it before, but it sounds quite interesting, thanks! :smile:

I actually really like harp, and also medieval music.
And I thought there were elements of medieval feeling in the music you posted.

• #1,037
DennisN said:
I actually really like harp, and also medieval music.
And I thought there were elements of medieval feeling in the music you posted.
Alan Stivell was heavily into Breton music and Celtic culture, though I'm not sure how far back his songs reach.

It's curious how the music in both those songs (Reflets and Broceliande) feel quite uplifting (at least, to me), but when I eventually bothered to look at the lyric translations, they are a rather wistful, sad lament.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #1,038
And since this is the "favorite songs" thread, I think this 2009 digital re-mastering deserves a mention:

Tubular Bells Pt 1 (Deluxe Digital Edition - 2009).

The clarity/definition of the various instruments is very much improved over the original 1973 version. Some extra notes also seem to have been added in various places, like cute little fairy drops, istm. So it's more than just a simple re-mastering.

Listen to it on high quality headphones if you can. Near the start of the main ending theme, the various instruments enter from one side (channel), and then move across to the other channel, while the next instrument enters from the first channel, also migrates across, and so on.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,039
strangerep said:
I dare say reactions to those videos would be from the very esoteric.

• #1,040
Oh, gosh, this girl could really sing, what a performer!

Two of the most iconic songs of the 1980s:

Irene Cara - Fame (Live) (written by Michael Gore and Dean Pitchford)

(Edit: Regretfully I think the performance above is playback, and I actually got fooled :smile: )

Irene Cara - What A Feeling (Live) (written by Giorgio Moroder, Keith Forsey and Irene Cara)
(e.g. watch her microphone technique at 2:05-
...hint: when you see a singer do this, the singer is most likely highly professionally trained...
...they do this to level out the volume... when the vocals sometimes go very high up and louder)

I've always loved the song "Fame" and regarding "What A Feeling" I've been more split.
"What A Feeling" is terrifically written, particularly the verse and melody, but I've long thought the production could have been better, e.g. the sounds in the chorus. Well, it became one of the most famous songs of the 1980s anyway, so... :smile:)

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes difalcojr and collinsmark
  • #1,041
morrobay said:
I dare say reactions to those videos would be from the very esoteric.
Yes, you're probably right. Very few youtube reactors make a virtue out of presenting lesser-known material.