Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
symbolipoint said:
Why must the title of the topic still say "...(new thread)", while the topic is up to 21 pages and was started December 2017?
Good question :smile:. I checked if I as OP could change the thread title, but I don't think I can. I summon the emperor, the great overlord with seemingly unlimited powers, @Greg Bernhardt, to ask him if he could assist us mere mortals with a change of the thread title...

Likes jim hardy
Physics news on Phys.org

Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970 and DennisN
I saw this yesterday and it makes me smile when a big artist joins in and plays with amateurs...

Chris Martin of Coldplay Surprises the Crowd and Joins 8th Grade Rock Band

Likes david2
DennisN said:
Two good songs and one cover from Depeche Mode:

Enjoy The Silence (Live on Letterman)

It's No Good, Live 1997

Heroes (by David Bowie) - with great vocals
Heroes Depeche mode did not make me happy. I think he was trying to imitate the 1977 top of pops version.

just bought this cd by this woman from Austria.

pinball1970 said:
Heroes Depeche mode did not make me happy. I think he was trying to imitate the 1977 top of pops version.
I think that "Heroes" is an example of a song where you can't beat the original. Same with "Life on Mars" and pretty much every other Bowie song. :smile:

I personally like this live version of "Heroes" from Paris in 2002, because it's a bit "funky" and laidback in the beginning, but also with good dynamics and powerful in the last part of the song:

Likes pinball1970 and Stavros Kiri

Amazing and unforgetable ...

Here's a classic I enjoy! Sweet sweet bass too! :D

Likes DennisN

“Awaken” by Yes

This has got to be one of the most beautiful pieces ever composed (obviously I’m biased haha), but I would definitely reccomend giving it a listen... really good song for me to listen to when I’m not feeling too great, to be completely honest. And, of course, I quite enjoy long songs!

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
Wow. Nothing But Thieves live with a string ensemble.

Nothing But Thieves - Broken Machine (Live for #IAMWHOLE)

For dog lovers 😂

• Haha
Likes DennisN
I've recently discovered the very talented singer/songwriter Billie Eilish, she's only 17 years old, and she has only released one album, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? (2019)

Good songwriting, great voice, I think:

Billie Eilish - Ocean Eyes
Billie Eilish - Real Voice (song examples)
Billie Eilish - 'bellyache' (live for Like A Version)

Likes almostvoid and Stavros Kiri
a touch of kindness to warm the heart ?

old jim

Likes roam and Stavros Kiri
On the photo thread competitions theme this week now up for votes is The Night.
That and other things reminded me.
In 1985 the entertainer/musician Renzo Arbore launched a late night program calLed Quelli della Notte (People of the Night you could call it) on Italian TV for which neither he nor RAI-TV expected more than a small audience. Instead it went viral, was viewed by millions, everyone talked about it. A sort of cabaret, partly in take-off imitation of the talkshows that make up a lot of Italian TV. The humour was chaotic surreal sometimes, might not come over, but the incredible atmosphere with big audience participation it all had I think does in the clips – you can easily find others including entire programs of which there were only 33. Arbore had this talent of creating atmosphere, putting people together, and (he is still around) the people in the show still remember it as a time when they were paid just to enjoy themselves. For some of them it launched their careers and they are very well-known now. Arbore among other talents plays the clarinet and I forget what else, and is a worshipper of the New Orleans and other jazz giants.

Signature tune song was about how the day was made of stress and rubbish – but not the night: Ma la notte, no!https://www.youtube.com › watchRenzo Arbore: "Ma la notte no" - Sigla di Quelli della notte - YouTube

http://www.teche.rai.it/programmi/quelli-della-notte/

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Comeback City said:

“Awaken” by Yes

This has got to be one of the most beautiful pieces ever composed (obviously I’m biased haha), but I would definitely reccomend giving it a listen... really good song for me to listen to when I’m not feeling too great, to be completely honest. And, of course, I quite enjoy long songs!

I agree.
I would argue that this is the best piece of music ever put together in the modern age. Everything about it is beautiful.

Likes Mary Conrads Sanburn
Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway

Yippee! :biggrin:

Likes Stavros Kiri
Likes pinball1970, DennisN and Stavros Kiri
The Beatles - A Day In The Life

Likes DennisN, david2, pinball1970 and 1 other person
One favorite sad song of mine

Likes Stavros Kiri and pinball1970
david2 said:
One favorite sad song of mine

Yes, strange film of the same name.

Likes Stavros Kiri
It has pretty good reviews as well . let's see if I can get my hands on it

Likes Stavros Kiri
epenguin said:
https://www.youtube.com › watchRenzo Arbore: "Ma la notte no" - Sigla di Quelli della notte - YouTube
That song reminded me a bit of calypso music. Which I happen to like for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on. But I know it puts me in a good mood and makes me happy :smile:.

A classic calypso song: Lord Invader - Rum and coca cola

which also was covered by The Andrews Sisters - Rum And Coca-Cola 1944:
I also like certain types of latin music, for instance the compilation Made In Cuba and the Buena Vista Social Club album.

Here's one wonderful song from "Made In Cuba", Pepesito Reyes - Descarga No 2:

And here's a nice, moody song from "Buena Vista Social Club", Chan Chan:

Likes Stavros Kiri
DennisN said:
I've recently discovered the very talented singer/songwriter Billie Eilish,
I've just listened to her entire studio album and it was very good.
I am now listening to her first EP, Don't Smile at Me (2017) which also is very good.

On it was this very nice song, "Watch", where she does lovely "glides" with her voice (I think the correct musical term is "glissando"):

Billie Eilish - Watch

Likes Stavros Kiri
If you analyse music as you hear it, I recommend you to start with Schubert's symphonies. This is in many situations considered as the fundament for popular music these days.

Mary Conrads Sanburn said:
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

My husband just called on the telephone. Yippee, he is heading home from the:oldlove::oldbiggrin::angel:
Petaluma Speedway - Sprint Car Racing!

song was good--I remember I had the LP

fresh this woman and her friends rip the night away
bought the cd bought the t shirt
can't stop playing it

Likes DennisN
almostvoid said:
fresh this woman and her friends rip the night away
bought the cd bought the t shirt
can't stop playing it
Thanks for posting, I will check them out! I like the energy, and the steadfast guitars! :smile:

Likes almostvoid
DennisN said:
That song reminded me a bit of calypso music. Which I happen to like for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on. But I know it puts me in a good mood and makes me happy :smile:.

which also was covered by The Andrews Sisters - Rum And Coca-Cola 1944:

I thought the Andrew Sisters did Mr Sandman but it's these guys. I think I posted this before too. I live this sound/style. Crunchy close harmony, not easy to do.

Likes DennisN
RIP Joao

Likes pinball1970
Now I know of two songs with lots of fish puns in them.

and

Perhaps there are more!

Jazzy funky and hippy as hell, 1970 a great Year for music (ignoring the high profile deaths)
This is Air, Googie Capolla amazing blues rangy cool as hell voice. More talent in the first 60 seconds singing on this track than the pop dross of the last few years.

Likes DennisN