Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
A great, groovy, skilled, long guitar solo, live by John Squire of The Stone Roses:
(the drummer is pretty good too :smile:)
Original song is here, the classic Fool's Gold from 1989.

Physics news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
On it was this very nice song, "Watch", where she does lovely "glides" with her voice (I think the correct musical term is "glissando"):

Billie Eilish - Watch

The video was a tad disturbing...
Nice voice though.

Likes DennisN

DennisN said:
A great, groovy, skilled, long guitar solo, live by John Squire of The Stone Roses:
(the drummer is pretty good too :smile:)
Original song is here, the classic Fool's Gold from 1989.

I should like this I suppose but after 30 years I am still undecided.
It is groovy has guitar based riffs Madchester but I was a rocker at time wondering where all these floppy hats came from.
All the science guys liked Purple Hendrix and Metallica and went to the UMIST rock disco.
All the floppy hats went to the Hacienda.
It was a culture thing.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
I have been listening to a lot of these vocal only songs, I am a Macca fan but and this is his fave track according one q and a with him. It's in my top 5.

Last edited:
My favorite for all time? It will always be Steelheart - She's Gone. :oldbiggrin: :oldbiggrin:

whitedog484 said:
My favorite for all time? It will always be Steelheart - She's Gone. :oldbiggrin: :oldbiggrin:
I know the Hall and Oats song, same one ? Edit : no, not the same

Last edited:
Hotel California by the 'Eagles':smile:

Saw them in person!

Likes pinball1970 and Stavros Kiri

Attachments

• Minimalist-Garden-Wedding-in-Caledon-Ontario-10.jpg
    Minimalist-Garden-Wedding-in-Caledon-Ontario-10.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 128

Ahhhh 😉 Time to dance! :smile:

Likes david2

I just found this track from Asia's:

The start of the track reminds me of the problem of QG: " This problem is insoluble..."

Likes Stavros Kiri
Some real music, real relaxing.

( Not the best recording )

Likes Stavros Kiri
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
This song from The Magic Flute is one of my favorites, sung by one of my favorite boys choir. The part about superstition giving way to enlightenment and men becoming like gods in a heaven-like kingdom on Earth is what I believe. Science and enlightenment in general is the way. A good message for July 4th, since that is the philosophy of Jefferson, Franklin, Paine, and other great champions of the enlightenment.

Bald prangt, den Morgen zu verkünden
Die Sonn' auf goldner Bahn,
Bald soll der Aberglaube schwinden,
Bald siegt der weise Mann.
O, holde Ruhe, steig hernieder,
Kehr in der Menschen Herzen wieder,
Dann ist die Erd' ein Himmelreich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich,
Und sterbliche sind Göttern gleich, Please search online for a professional English translation. Here is my own loose translation.

Soon the blazing sun comes on its golden way to herald the morning. Soon superstition shall vanish. Soon the wise man shall be victorious. Oh come sacred peace, return to the human heart. Then the Earth will become a heavenly empire, and mortals will become equal to gods.
Since it's been some time since I was active here, I decided to look over my old posts and respond to what I now think is rubbish. For example, the attitude expressed in this song is something I only believed in for a limited time. Now I reject it totally. I can't go into details because this forum does not allow any religious discussion. But I'll just mention that my religion (Roman Catholicism) is totally incompatible with the ideas expressed in this song. I think they are more along the lines of Freemasonry, which I do not belong to. As Rachmaninoff said, "music is a spiritual activity." So be careful.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
10K by 10K matrices? No problem. I own you, linear programming.

It's a video thread, right?

Maybe I was drinking when I posted this? Good thing I'm sober now.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Speaking of loose translation, had I not been enjoying a favorite beverage of the founding fathers, I would have translated "holde Ruhe" a bit differently. I think "fair peace" or "beautiful peace" is correct. Any native German speakers are welcome to provide any corrections. As the great German writer Wilhelm Shakespeare once said, "to err is human, especially after an adult beverage." Long live the Reinheitsgebot.

I still like the Reinheitsgebot, but I don't like this song anymore. I don't agree with its philosophy.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Since it's been some time since I was active here, I decided to look over my old posts and respond to what I now think is rubbish.
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Maybe I was drinking when I posted this? Good thing I'm sober now.
I think it's ok either way. Relax. (for all 3 posts)

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Since it's been some time since I was active here, I decided to look over my old posts and respond to what I now think is rubbish. For example, the attitude expressed in this song is something I only believed in for a limited time. Now I reject it totally. I can't go into details because this forum does not allow any religious discussion. But I'll just mention that my religion (Roman Catholicism) is totally incompatible with the ideas expressed in this song. I think they are more along the lines of Freemasonry, which I do not belong to. As Rachmaninoff said, "music is a spiritual activity." So be careful.

Nothing Mozart wrote was rubbish

Mozart joined the Freemasons in 1784, and remained an active member until his death. His choice to enter the lodge "Zur Wohltätigkeit" was influenced by his friendship with the lodge's master, Baron Otto Heinrich von Gemmingen-Hornberg, and his attraction to the lodge's "shared devotion to Catholic tradition."[10] Nor was Mozart's Masonic commitment the most likely source of his occasional anti-clerical statements, and even less indicative of any essential antipathy to Catholicism. Such anti-clericalism is much more easily attributed to the fashionable anti-clericalism of Febronian Catholicism favored by those in power in Mozart's social ambit at this period, which still reflected curiously a very conservative Counter-Reformation aesthetic environment.[11]
Freemasonry was banned by the Catholic Church in a Papal Bull entitled In eminenti apostolatus issued by Pope Clement XII on 28 April 1738. The ban, however, "was published and came into force only in the Papal States, Spain, Portugal, and Poland."[12] It was not promulgated in Austria, where Mozart lived, until 1792 (after Mozart's death). Hence, although the Catholic Church's opposition to Freemasonry would eventually become known in Austria, during Mozart's lifetime "a good Catholic could perfectly well become a Mason," and it is clear that Mozart saw no conflict between these two allegiances.
[13]

Time to dance to the groove...!

Last edited:
Likes BillTre

Likes DennisN
When I first heard this song when it just had been released, I thought to myself "this will be hit", but I did not realize just how big of a hit it would become. The chart performance and number of cover versions and appearances in popular culture speak for itself.

After the very first listen I was impressed by the lyrics which are very well written, suggestive and full of references to history, religion, revolution and dethroning of kings. But the composer has cleverly still left the lyrics open to interpretation, as it can be about anyone who has fallen down from a previously higher position or situation.

Here is a great live version from Tokyo in 2009, including lyrics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_la_Vida#Chart_performance

Two instrumental tracks I like a lot:

Melosense - Roads & Lights (electronica)

Cantoma - Out of Town (downtempo/electronica)

Likes DennisN
Some really fun stuff here! :biggrin:

In Living Color - Music Video Parodies

Likes WWGD
Spinnor said:
It seems somewhat odd ( I'm not sure odd is the right word ) that you posted a Cream

song today. . . since Ginger Baker also died today. . . . 😞

Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker (19 August 1939 – 6 October 2019) was an English drummer and a co-founder of the rock band Cream.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
OCR said:
It seems somewhat odd ( I'm not sure odd is the right word ) that you posted a Cream

song today. . . since Ginger Baker also died today. . . . 😞

The reason for.

Spinnor said:
The reason for.
Ahh. . . understand.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Two tracks from the UK guys who found water in the desert in the 90s:

Champagne Supernova (my favorite Oasis song)

Live Forever

And three great songs by one of my absolute favorite UK bands ever, The Verve:

This Is Music

Lucky Man

Bitter Sweet Symphony

This is a song that has the ability to make me happy, even I'm feeling a bit low.
It is so upbeat and cheekily positive that it is irresistible to me. :smile:

"I know that my schedule is f**ked up, but baby you know you're the same" means to me that we all should embrace the fact that entropy increases, or something... :smile:

Sigrid - Schedules (Official Lyric Video)

Great guitar work at 1:46, 2:40, 3:47 and the best at 4:13.

• Love
Likes DennisN
Spinnor said:
Great guitar work at 1:46, 2:40, 3:47 and the best at 4:13.
I loved and love The Cult, I'm going to post another song of theirs later [thinking... thinking...]...