What's Your Favorite Strategy Game and Why?

In summary, the favorite strategy game among the group is Starcraft, mainly because of its complexity in campaigns and the ability to play as different alien races. However, some members also enjoy playing other games such as Go, chess, and Heroes of Might and Magic II. Some mention other popular strategy games like Civilization, Age of Empires, and Command and Conquer: Generals. Others have moved on from computer games and have retired from playing. Some even question the inclusion of Diablo in the poll.

whats your favorite strategy game

• starcraft

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • warcraft

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • diablo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • command and conquer

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • red alert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
DR OF DEATH
ok guys what's your fovorite strategy game, and post why its your favorite, if you vote other tell us what it is

Physics news on Phys.org
i vote starcraft becuase the complexity of the campaigns is exellent, i love being able to play as different alien races, the range of different types of battleground is a nice touch, and i just love the map editor

chow

Stars!

Only strategy game I have ever bought which I wasn't bored with after 2 weeks.

EDIT: I hate RTS with a passion.

Last edited:
My favorite strategy game is Go followed by chess.

eNtRopY

the original civilization

What about Age of Empires or Total Annihilation? Both quality games.

C&C.. great game.. I only have a slow computer tho!

Alpha Centauri

its pretty fun since i don't have starcraft or warcraft or civilization

WarCraft II!

SC ALL THE WAY!
warcraft is ok but eveyrone only knows a set stratigy and i don't like playing without thinking

sc on the other hand has ver diffrent units that a lot of peopel don't know how to use because once agian they stick to a stiff nonchangin strat and when they don't think they die

is mahjong considered a strategy game?

I'd have to say Heroes of Might and Magic II. Classic turn based strategy. I love it.

Right now I'm playing Diablo, but I don't think this is a strategy game...
So I voted Starcraft - the best game ever (I really hate the zerg... )
Age of Empires and Heroes of Might and Magic are pretty good too.
Couldn't play W3, computer too old...

Maverick, HOMM3 with expansions is the best! Age of Empires with Conquest expansion is the runner up.

Also, can't forget about the old X-Com Series.

WARCRAFT is the best

the best movies i ever seen in warcraft 3

Isn't Red Alert under Command and Conquer?

Command and Conquer: Generals rules supreme! It is far more dynamic in terms of gameplay then any other strategy games which i have seen. The cut scenes are also extraordinarily good. Just take the first mission of the China campaign. The cutscene when the GLA blew up the chinese parade was breathtaking.

Chess.

I voted Warcraft, but SC is very close, just haven't played it for a while. I don't consider Diablo stratey, its just cut and slash. My true first love strategty game is Prelude to Waterloo by Talonsoft. Turn based tactical Napoleonic, it just don't get no better!

Combat Mission is also a lot of fun and an execellent simulation to boot!

Certainly Age of Kings. however; I have retired from computer games; to focus on a life of science.

I like chess. I've retired from pcgames but I used to like starcraft.
By the way, why is diablo in the poll?

I'm a fan of chess. Occasionaly I'll play on blitzen.

Warcraft 3 (plus the new expansion pack -- The Frozen Throne)

1. What makes a strategy game different from other types of games?

A strategy game is a type of game where players must use their critical thinking and decision-making skills to achieve a specific goal. Unlike other types of games, strategy games require players to carefully plan their moves and anticipate their opponent's actions.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a strategy game?

When choosing a strategy game, it is important to consider the complexity of the game, the type of gameplay (turn-based or real-time), the theme or setting, and the level of challenge. It is also helpful to read reviews or try out a demo version before purchasing.

3. What are some popular strategy games?

Some popular strategy games include Chess, Risk, Settlers of Catan, Civilization, and Starcraft. There are also many digital strategy games such as Age of Empires, Total War, and XCOM.

4. How do strategy games improve cognitive skills?

Strategy games require players to think critically, strategize, and make decisions based on their goals and the actions of their opponent. This can improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, and spatial awareness.

5. Can strategy games be educational?

Yes, strategy games can be educational as they often require players to learn about different concepts such as resource management, economics, and military tactics. They can also improve skills such as time management, teamwork, and adaptability.