Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Wine

1. Feb 7, 2004 #1
    I really like a Bougelais Nouveau and a good brand of Lambruska. The Nouveau is hard to find around here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Beaujolais Nouveau is only released once a year in November and the quanitities shipped to the US (if you are in the US) are not huge and are usually purchased quickly as it has developed a following here. If you really like it, I suggest that you stock up on it as soon as it appears.

I like Chardonnay & Zinfandel, De Loach winery is a consistant favorite of mine.

4. Feb 7, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Best I ever had, Chateau Paulliac, 1962.

5. Feb 7, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And when did you drink that one :wink:

I like to have a glass of wine once in a while, but unfortunately I have absolutely no idea which one to pick when in the store.. and came home a few times with sour variaties :S

So tell me: which ones are good

6. Feb 7, 2004 #5

Evo

Wine snobs will insist on certain vinters, vintages, etc... but I say go with what you like. Besides De Loach, I like a cheap White Zinfandel from another American winery Berringer. It's light and fruity.

The wines you bought may have become sour from improper storage, oxidation can destroy a good bottle of wine.

If restaurants there offer a wine list that allows you to purchase wines by the glass or caraf, you can inexpensively sample a variety and select your favorite. When you find one you like, write the name down.

7. Feb 7, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

I usually like anything red. However i have developed quite a taste for white zinfandel cos the parents like to drink it. Ultimate.

8. Feb 7, 2004 #7
    I hate wine. Too high class for me. I prefer plain old beer, whisky and vodka.

9. Feb 7, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

lol, i drink wine about once a week, im usually a beer or jack daniels kinda bloke...but the ones mentioned above are the ones i like when i want to appear 'couth'

10. Feb 7, 2004 #9
    a recent favorite is menage a trois- 3 rivers vintner. Merlot, cab and zinfandel blend. I highly recommend it- and it's only about 15 bucks a bottle.

I've also aquired a taste for reisling wines.

If you want sweet, go with a port, sherry, or zinfandel.

11. Feb 7, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

Red wines give me the worst headache. I like White Zinfandels (like Evo? - what a surprise! :wink:) and White Merlot is very tasty, too. But my very favorite is Pieroth Gewurztraminer. Yum.

12. Feb 7, 2004 #11

Evo

OMG!!!! I had to stop drinking red wine because of the headaches they cause. (start the theme song from the twilight zone)

13. Feb 7, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

And I've been having dreams about large, glowing, green cows!! This is so SCARY!!!!

Have you had any cravings for Green Apple Martini's??

14. Feb 7, 2004 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i enjoy Alice White Cabernet Shiraz...it's from SE Aussie

15. Feb 7, 2004 #14

Evo

I've never had one. :frown:

16. Feb 7, 2004 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

I'm sorry. :frown: You must rectify this at once!

They're dandy! I usually have regular (Absolut) gin martini's but for a nice change...:wink:

17. Feb 7, 2004 #16

Evo

Actually, I've been intending to try a green apple martini. I love martini's, but my favorite are dirty martini's. I wish I had one right now!

18. Feb 8, 2004 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

Now YOU'RE taking ME on a trip down memory lane! Years ago I had some friends with a houseboat moored on the Sacramento Delta. We would take a couple of ski boats up, tie them to the houseboat and cruise the Delta for a weekend. We would go up with multitudes of jars of olives, make a giant batch of martinis, pour the juice off of the olives and fill the jars of olives with martinis. We'd stick them in the refridgerator or coolers and take them with us to ski the following days. What a TRIP!

19. Feb 8, 2004 #18
    any of you ever smoke fine cigars on rare occasion?

20. Feb 8, 2004 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

They smell bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?