What's the Connection Between XKCD and Scientific Communication?

• Thread starter ideasrule
  • Start date
In summary: What's your favorite xkcd?In summary, my favorite xkcd is xkcd.com/526. It's funny because it perfectly encapsulates my work experience.
ideasrule
Homework Helper
What's your favorite xkcd?

Inspired by Galteeth's thread, "What's the email for the president of physics?"

You can find xkcd here

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum:

angular_momentum.jpg

Varying this makes a great pick up line, as well. I have a 100% success rate with it. (1 for 1 is 100%)

ideasrule said:
What's your favorite xkcd?

The Difference
the_difference.png

I have this on my door. PS. Galeeth and I had same idea. His thread: [thread=363561]What's the email for the president of physics?[/thread]. My thread: [thread=363183]xkcd provides some visual PF guidelines[/thread].

PPS. We should send Randall Munroe a bonus membership in PF. Searching for xkcd turns up 263 PF posts.

Last edited:
Cat proximity:

cat_proximity.png

I've added a link to the main xkcd page into the opening post, for maximal compliance with the license.

What the hell is xkcd? :confused:

Danger said:
What the hell is xkcd? :confused:

Do you live under a rock?

BobG said:
Angular momentum:

angular_momentum.jpg

Question is - how to stop not making Earth spinning faster again.

NeoDevin said:
Do you live under a rock?

Apparently.
So what the **** is it?

Thanks, Borek. I notice that Hurkyl added a link in the OP that wasn't there when I first read it. Now I know what it is, but the humour eludes me. Must be some kind of tech stuff that I haven't been exposed to before.

Last edited:
Borek said:
now I can post on PF from everywhere...

Oh, great... another green-haired Pole looking to take over the world... :rolleyes:

Some of those are pretty funny actually. I must admit however I was in the same 'wtf boat' as Danger before when there was no link... guess I live under a rock too huh? :cry:

Now, now... no need to cry.

When viewed from the original site, each comic has a second hidden joke or punchline that is exposed with a mouse-over.

I want to get the T-shirt of this one and wear it at school.
science.jpg

...but I could get in a bit of trouble.

Last edited:
I can't find very geeky one that Junior showed me some time ago. This one fits PF:

http://xkcd.com/356/

http://xkcd.com/85/

it's funny to me because I actually do do this. Anyone else do this or am I an oddball :rofl:

I am worse, I am trying to find path that is both fast and requires me to hurt minimum number of plants :bugeye:

hamster143 said:

I have a copy of that one stuck on the wall right above my computer, as a reminder both to myself and to my wife!

Hahahah...

hats.jpg

:rofl:

I don't get it.

hamster143 said:
I don't get it.

A man with one hat stumbles across a man with 2 hats. They stare at each other...They stare some more. The man with 1 hat slowly backs away.Brilliant!

PS: Do you own a hamster? And moreover, do you love it? (trying to decipher your screen name :smile:)

academia_vs_business.png

http://xkcd.com/664/ definitely demonstrates how I've felt at work :smile:. What's with the philosophy hate though? Philosophers would slap that guy too :tongue:.

kote said:
http://xkcd.com/664/ definitely demonstrates how I've felt at work :smile:.

The business may just heap more work on you, but they also give bigger raises to the folks that are harder to replace.

Does academia give raises?

BobG said:
The business may just heap more work on you, but they also give bigger raises to the folks that are harder to replace.

Does academia give raises?

I'm not complaining, just remembering trying to explain how some code works to my boss and being told no one cares, which does make sense :smile:. Thankfully it ended up actually being useful and not just a neat CS trick.

I have a lot of favorites, but I always thought these three were hilarious (there are better ones, but none that I can think of off the top of my head):

neutrality_shmeutrality.png

Alt text -- 'Hey, everyone, you can totally trust that I didn't do a word count on MY edit!'
http://xkcd.com/545/

im_an_idiot.png

Alt text -- Sadly, this is a true story. At least I learned about the OS X 'say' command.
http://xkcd.com/530/

fourier.jpg

Alt text -- That cat has some serious periodic components
http://xkcd.com/26/

tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

This one has a bad word, but so true. I've added a few more to the graph. Mangoes would definitely belong in the upper left.
http://xkcd.com/388/

Chi Meson said:
This one has a bad word, but so true. I've added a few more to the graph. Mangoes would definitely belong in the upper left.
http://xkcd.com/388/

Bananas should be just above the x-axis. They're nice and neutral and can be put on almost anything.

And what's he have against oranges. I like oranges. Especially those little ones called clementines. They even have a song about them that you sing while you eat them.

"Oh, my darling
Oh, my darling
Oh, my darling, clementine"

Last edited:
BobG said:
And what's he have against oranges. I like oranges. Especially those little ones called clementines. They even have a song about them that you sing while you eat them.

Clementines are not oranges. Clementines are tangerines. Tangerines (C. reticulata) are just as different from oranges (C. sinensis) as oranges are from lemons (C. limon).

<h2>1. What is XKCD and how does it relate to scientific communication?</h2><p>XKCD is a popular webcomic created by Randall Munroe that often features science and technology-related themes. It relates to scientific communication by using humor and satire to explain complex scientific concepts in a more accessible and entertaining way.</p><h2>2. How can XKCD be used as a tool for scientific communication?</h2><p>XKCD can be used as a tool for scientific communication by providing a platform for scientists to share their research and ideas in a more engaging and relatable manner. It can also be used to spark discussions and interest in scientific topics among a wider audience.</p><h2>3. Does XKCD accurately represent scientific concepts and information?</h2><p>While XKCD is known for its accuracy and attention to detail, it is important to remember that it is a webcomic and not a scientific journal. Some concepts may be simplified or exaggerated for comedic effect. It is always best to consult reliable sources for accurate scientific information.</p><h2>4. How has XKCD impacted the field of scientific communication?</h2><p>XKCD has had a significant impact on the field of scientific communication by making complex concepts more approachable and entertaining for a wider audience. It has also inspired other scientists and science communicators to use creative methods to share their work and ideas.</p><h2>5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using XKCD for scientific communication?</h2><p>One potential drawback of using XKCD for scientific communication is that it may oversimplify or misrepresent certain concepts, leading to misunderstandings or misconceptions. It is important to use XKCD as a supplement to other sources of information and not rely solely on it for accurate scientific knowledge.</p>

1. What is XKCD and how does it relate to scientific communication?

XKCD is a popular webcomic created by Randall Munroe that often features science and technology-related themes. It relates to scientific communication by using humor and satire to explain complex scientific concepts in a more accessible and entertaining way.

2. How can XKCD be used as a tool for scientific communication?

XKCD can be used as a tool for scientific communication by providing a platform for scientists to share their research and ideas in a more engaging and relatable manner. It can also be used to spark discussions and interest in scientific topics among a wider audience.

3. Does XKCD accurately represent scientific concepts and information?

While XKCD is known for its accuracy and attention to detail, it is important to remember that it is a webcomic and not a scientific journal. Some concepts may be simplified or exaggerated for comedic effect. It is always best to consult reliable sources for accurate scientific information.

4. How has XKCD impacted the field of scientific communication?

XKCD has had a significant impact on the field of scientific communication by making complex concepts more approachable and entertaining for a wider audience. It has also inspired other scientists and science communicators to use creative methods to share their work and ideas.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using XKCD for scientific communication?

One potential drawback of using XKCD for scientific communication is that it may oversimplify or misrepresent certain concepts, leading to misunderstandings or misconceptions. It is important to use XKCD as a supplement to other sources of information and not rely solely on it for accurate scientific knowledge.