Favourite field of mathematics

In summary, a group of individuals with a passion for mathematics discuss their favorite fields and topics within the subject. They also touch on the idea of innocence and its role in creativity and intellectual exploration. Many different branches and connections of mathematics are mentioned, including algebra, number theory, complex analysis, differential geometry, and more. The conversation also includes a bit of humor and self-reflection.
regularngon
I myself love anything and everything to with algebra, particularly Galois theory. Number theory is a close second.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Admittedly my mathematics background is extremely shallow (nothing higher than Calculus I), I have been working independently through a few modern abstract algebra books, I am enjoying this field of mathematics more than any other field I have been exposed to. I have just started learning group theory and will eventually move through fields, rings, Galois Theory, etc.

How far can someone go into this field of mathematics, because I am really enjoying it a lot. Of course, I am reserving my selection of specilization until I am exposed to more mathematics. I really enjoy the abstractness that this field of maths develops. It is refreshing to do something, which to me, is a lot different than calculus.

I will also admit that I do not truly have deep knowledge in any particular area of mathematics to really pick a favorite, but currently I would say my favorite is algebra(even with my limited experience in it), but of the subjects I have had classes in I find complex analysis, and partial differential equations very interesting as well.

Differential topology...was like discovering sex.

>.< Number Theory, But I wouldn't say it was like discovering sex...lol. Both things are equally beautiful :p. Thats a BIG compliment for Number Theory, trust me :)

I was fascinated with the idea of studying functions of a complex variable. Later I found out I could study functions on n- dimensional complex space. I currently studying function theory of several complex variables. I also like differential geometry.

So my hope is to study complex (differential) geometry (i.e., geometry of complex manifolds)

So far, the subject in math that was the most enthralling to me is functional analysis.

Gib Z said:
>.< Number Theory, But I wouldn't say it was like discovering sex...lol. Both things are equally beautiful :p. Thats a BIG compliment for Number Theory, trust me :)

You're only 15, how would you know?

theperthvan said:
You're only 15, how would you know?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

I'm somewhat partial to complex analysis and differential geometry. But I'm on an algebraic geometry kick at the moment, simply because I feel that Groebner bases are far cooler than they're given credit for.

differential topology, differential geometry

Differential topology and geometry are my current obsessions.

dynamical systems (flow, collisionless or collisoin)

edit: oh and graph theory and 3D engine mathematics.

Last edited:
It's so hard to say. I like analysis, differential geometry, algebraic and point set topology, combinatorics, logic, algebraic geometry, group theory, representation theory and commutative algebra.

But I hate non-commutative rings.

Number Theory.

I prefer addition.

Rofl we got a comedian here!

Quote theperthian (dunno if i spelled right): How would you know, your only 15?
Quote d_leet : I was thinking the same thing

I got lucky :p

EDIT: I Spelled "Spelled" as "slept"...Im pretty bad at slepting :p

Last edited:
That gives me an idea, ima start a thread in PF lounge on when people lost their..innocence, thatll be a nice thread :p

Just need a mentor to tell me i won't be banned for doing so before i make it lol.

Btw: Last post, i was kidding.

Its like, f'(x)= d/dx (sex) and I don't know f(x), but I am using 10 Riemann Midpoint sums :P I am such a nerd

Jarle said:
I prefer addition.
It's all you'll ever need :smile:

Currently I'm doing some research in higher dimensional interior angles, which is a fun topic, dealing with the infamous gamma vector, but I particularly enjoy differential equations and am starting to develop a love for Complex Analysis.

Gib Z said:
Im such a nerd

Aren't we all :biggrin:

Jarle said:
Aren't we all :biggrin:

I prefer intellect. Intellects acquire knowledge because they have a passion for discovery and exploration and simply because they can. Nerds acquire knowledge because it's all they are good at.

I can never have a social, intellectual conversation with stereotypical 'nerds' because they always seem to lack good conversation skills and word formation. This is why I prefer the term intellect, we blend in with society and act like we don't care but secretly do homework in our closets.

<333

In France, intellects are celebrities, (e.g. Jean Paul Sartre - one of my favorite philosophers).

This is of course, purely anecdotal.

Last edited:
a more difficult and useful exercise is to regain ones innocence.

mathwonk said:
a more difficult and useful exercise is to regain ones innocence.

Innocence distorts one's ability to transcend the tangible, concrete foundations of reality and expand their awareness across the plane of infinite imagination. Corrupt yourself as much as you can and you will feel an inextricable, interconnectedness between your perceptions and reality.

Actually, I have no idea what innocence you were describing, I was focusing on the embodied consciousness and how we can disassociate and disconnect it from the usual flow of perception.

i was thinking of grohendieck's notion of the innocence of a child in research, in being willing to conjecture things too simple minded for the sophisticated to attempt, like the prime spectrum of an arbitrary ring as the right framework for algebraic geometry and number theory.

or picassos innocence in relearning to draw with the freedom and creativity
again of a child. As he put it, he could draw like raphael as a child himself, and it took him years to regain the free expression of the ordinary child.

great thread. didn't know we had so many poets and philosophers here! ;)
Since I'm a physics guy, I enjoy pretty much every branch of math related to/supporting the framework of theoretical physics (facsinated at the moment by connections of group theory to QM, lie groups, generators of symmetry, and how linear algebra all of a sudden seems like a tremendously large subject compared to the high school days of matrices and vectors)

great thread. didn't know we had so many poets and philosophers here! ;)
Since I'm a physics guy, I enjoy pretty much every branch of math related to/supporting the framework of theoretical physics (facsinated at the moment by connections of group theory to QM, lie groups, generators of symmetry, and how linear algebra all of a sudden seems like a tremendously large subject compared to the high school days of matrices and vectors)

Wu Tang homie!

I, too, share your interests at the moment and have only recently began my introduction into abstract algebras. It's tight!

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
I prefer intellect. Intellects acquire knowledge because they have a passion for discovery and exploration and simply because they can. Nerds acquire knowledge because it's all they are good at.

I can never have a social, intellectual conversation with stereotypical 'nerds' because they always seem to lack good conversation skills and word formation. This is why I prefer the term intellect, we blend in with society and act like we don't care but secretly do homework in our closets.

<333

In France, intellects are celebrities, (e.g. Jean Paul Sartre - one of my favorite philosophers).

This is of course, purely anecdotal.

I know what you mean. I think I could put myself in such a group, although my interests are not covered totally. It's fun to talk to nerds anyway I think :smile:

secretly do homework in our closets.
In almost every hobby, or interest field you have, it is perfectly normal to use your spare time on it. But if you are interested in math's or physics it's "nerdy" to learn more of it, and do extra homework on it. Wonder why...

Gib Z said:
Rofl we got a comedian here!

Quote theperthian (dunno if i spelled right): How would you know, your only 15?
Quote d_leet : I was thinking the same thing

I got lucky :p

No, I don't think you have.

What about foundations of mathematics?

Ahh what exactly do you mean?

Jarle said:
In almost every hobby, or interest field you have, it is perfectly normal to use your spare time on it. But if you are interested in math's or physics it's "nerdy" to learn more of it, and do extra homework on it. Wonder why...
maybe it has something to do with the "nerd" stereotype planted in our minds by hollywood. in movies, any kid who wants to pursue their interests in maths/physics are called a "nerd" and is portrayed as an un-cool guy who wears glasses and has pimples.

I'm new to this forum and I really like it.
Regarding my post before: isn't this thread about favourite math subject? So I answered "foundations".
Greetings Fabio

Yes We can tell your new, it says you have 2 posts. What I was asking was what exactly do you mean by foundations? You mean..axiomatic theory or arithmetic or what?

Mostly formal logic and axiomatic set theory. Those parts of mathematics which build up the foundations on which all the other ideas rest.

Btw. it's nice that you're able to read my number of posts. But I don't think there's any problem with me stating that I'm new to this forum. Anyway, your earlier post wasn't really helpful either, so I think it would be best if you limited the content of your statements to the necessary stuff. Thank you a lot.

Last edited:

What is your favourite field of mathematics?

My favourite field of mathematics is calculus. I find it fascinating how it can be used to solve real-world problems and the concepts of limits and derivatives are crucial in many other areas of mathematics.

Why did you choose to specialize in calculus?

I have always been drawn to the logical and analytical nature of calculus. It allows me to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and find solutions through mathematical reasoning.

What is the most challenging aspect of studying calculus?

The most challenging aspect of studying calculus is understanding the underlying concepts and applying them to different scenarios. It requires a lot of practice and critical thinking to become proficient in calculus.

How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze change and is essential in understanding concepts like motion, growth, and optimization.

What advice do you have for someone struggling with calculus?

My advice would be to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It is also important to understand the fundamentals and build upon them. Don't get discouraged by mistakes, as they are a crucial part of the learning process.