Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favourite Frontman?

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    Last nite i went to see Velvet Revolver perform in london and they where amazing, really put on a damn good show.

But whilst i was there watching it i started to wonder who the greatest frontman is/was? for me i would have to say Axl Rose, due to his fantastic voice his stagemanship and his ability to write damn good songs. I will forget about his lack of proffessionalism(sp?) for now.

So who do you reckon and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of years ago (just about a week or so after John Entwhistle died) I went to a concert by The Who. That just blew me away. And while it's hard to pick a frontman between Daltry and Townsend...they sure put up one live-wire show.

I like Mark Knopfler...(will edit this if something strikes me later) .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  4. Jan 10, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, it depends on the group doesn't.

Jimi Hendrix - The Hendrix Experience
    Rober Plant and Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
    Robin Trower - Robin Trower
    Jon Anderson - Yes

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That reminds me - Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull impressed me.

I've only seen a couple videos of Hendrix - Woodstock, and....umm, was it Isle of Wight or Monterrey ? One of the two...but he's quite the magician, eh ?

I was not very impressed by Plant...he's been touring alone, lately. But he's completely past his prime, and without Page, there's just no chemistry, so I can't really blame him for that. Thirty years ago, would have been a whole different ballgame.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  6. Jan 10, 2005 #5
    :surprised You have b**ls of steel for admitting this one, dude.

I never saw them live, but I have seen some footage of Ian Curtis (Joy Division), and he had a quality that you don't often see, a weirdly self-conscious loss of himself that could be uncomfortable to watch.

But, y'know Britney is so, like - WOAH.

7. Jan 10, 2005 #6
    Ditto. Also ditto on Ian Anderson & I have to throw in Tommy James, Mitch Rider, Rob Halford, George Clinton, Joey Ramone, & Sid Vicious, but that's my short list.

I've seen Robert Plant a few times lately on Austin City Limits and although he can't scream anymore he's still got his chops. :cool:

8. Jan 10, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got b**ls of steel all right. But why did I need them for this ? IA didn't join the IRA or something, did he ? All I know about him is that he's got this weird thing for tigers and other wild beast.

Let's bungle in the jungle...
    well, that's all right by me.
    I'm a tiger when I want love,
    but I'm a snake if we disagree.

9. Jan 11, 2005 #8
    All I know about him is a black & white video of them in action, with Ian doing a Pied Piper of Hamlin meets Joe Cocker impersonation. :uhh: It was not big, it was not clever, it was just... uncalled for. What people do in the privacy of their own home is one thing, but doing in public? No, decent folk have to draw the line somewhere.

10. Jan 11, 2005 #9
    Freddie Mercury (Queen) was a good showman, Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Christine McVie of (Fleetwood Mac) I like watching Stevie Nicks, but I prefer to hear Christie.

11. Jan 11, 2005 #10

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thom Yorke. Kinetic stage prescence, passionate, with a good measure of eccentricity to keep things interesting.

Speaking of passion and eccentricity, how about Jim Morrison. Complete with the dark poet twist.

12. Jan 11, 2005 #11
    You know that comment actually applies very well to Ma Yau Yau, especially the "uncomfortable to watch" part. :yuck:

13. Jan 11, 2005 #12
    Sid vicous isnt a front man, he was the bassist i beleive, Jonny rotten was the frontman for the sex pistols and he was pretty cool. So is Scott Weiland (Stone temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver) he put on a great show. Mick Jagger is also really good.

14. Jan 11, 2005 #13
    I stand corrected.

15. Jan 11, 2005 #14

DB

i agree wit Astronoc and Echo 6 Sierra . Robert Plant is an amazing frontman. But my favorite would have to be Jonathan Davis from Korn. He really has presence.

16. Jan 11, 2005 #15
    former Creed frontman Scott Stapp is interesting to watch.

17. Jan 11, 2005 #16

Evo

Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company

Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention

18. Jan 11, 2005 #17
    The late Mr Vicious was the bass player for the Sex Pistols, but enjoyed a brief solo singing career, leaving us such delights as My Way and C'mon Everybody. If you enjoy the sight of someone destroying themselves, he was a good frontman.

19. Jan 11, 2005 #18
    Sounds interesting. Got a link to any Ma Yau Yau?

20. Jan 11, 2005 #19

Astronuc

I need to remediate an omission - in Robin Trower, Trower played lead guitar, but the bassist James Dewar was lead vocalist, at least at the time Bridge of Sighs was released.

I agree with Evo, Frank Zappa and Janis were great. Zappa was fantastic on guitar, and he had some strange lyrics and songs. Janis could belt it out.

I would also add:

Greg Lake - Emerson, Lake and Palmer; King Crimson

Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes

Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple

Carlos Santana - Santana

Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane; Jefferson Starship

Jerry Garcia - Grateful Dead

Jim Morrison - Doors

Jeff Beck - Jeff Beck Group; Yardbirds

Keith Relf - Yardbirds

Steve Windwood - Traffic; Blind Faith

Dino Valenti (vocals), John Cipollina - Quicksilver Messenger Service

Donald Roeser (aka Buck Dharma), Eric Bloom - Blue Öyster Cult

Rodger Waters, David Gilmore - Pink Floyd

Paul Rodgers - Bad Company

Justin Hayward, John Lodge - Moody Blues

Bono - U2

One could add John Lennon, Paul McCartney of the Beatles - before 1972.

*Not Mick Jagger - Rolling Stones (before 1969)

21. Jan 11, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay :approve:

Not okay :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?