Greatest Frontman: Axl Rose or Someone Else?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary: Sex Pistols?In summary, the greatest frontman is Axl Rose because of his fantastic voice, stagemanship, and ability to write great songs.
Andy
Last nite i went to see Velvet Revolver perform in london and they where amazing, really put on a damn good show.

But whilst i was there watching it i started to wonder who the greatest frontman is/was? for me i would have to say Axl Rose, due to his fantastic voice his stagemanship and his ability to write damn good songs. I will forget about his lack of proffessionalism(sp?) for now.

So who do you reckon and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of years ago (just about a week or so after John Entwhistle died) I went to a concert by The Who. That just blew me away. And while it's hard to pick a frontman between Daltry and Townsend...they sure put up one live-wire show.

I like Mark Knopfler...(will edit this if something strikes me later) .

Last edited:
Well, it depends on the group doesn't.

Jimi Hendrix - The Hendrix Experience
Rober Plant and Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Jon Anderson - Yes

That reminds me - Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull impressed me.

I've only seen a couple videos of Hendrix - Woodstock, and...umm, was it Isle of Wight or Monterrey ? One of the two...but he's quite the magician, eh ?

I was not very impressed by Plant...he's been touring alone, lately. But he's completely past his prime, and without Page, there's just no chemistry, so I can't really blame him for that. Thirty years ago, would have been a whole different ballgame.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
That reminds me - Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull impressed me.

You have b**ls of steel for admitting this one, dude.

I never saw them live, but I have seen some footage of Ian Curtis (Joy Division), and he had a quality that you don't often see, a weirdly self-conscious loss of himself that could be uncomfortable to watch.

But, y'know Britney is so, like - WOAH.

Astronuc said:
Well, it depends on the group doesn't.

Jimi Hendrix - The Hendrix Experience
Rober Plant and Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Jon Anderson - Yes
Ditto. Also ditto on Ian Anderson & I have to throw in Tommy James, Mitch Rider, Rob Halford, George Clinton, Joey Ramone, & Sid Vicious, but that's my short list.

I've seen Robert Plant a few times lately on Austin City Limits and although he can't scream anymore he's still got his chops. :cool:

the number 42 said:
You have b**ls of steel for admitting this one, dude.

I've got b**ls of steel all right. But why did I need them for this ? IA didn't join the IRA or something, did he ? All I know about him is that he's got this weird thing for tigers and other wild beast.

Let's bungle in the jungle...
well, that's all right by me.
I'm a tiger when I want love,
but I'm a snake if we disagree.

Gokul43201 said:
All I know about him is that he's got this weird thing for tigers and other wild beast.

All I know about him is a black & white video of them in action, with Ian doing a Pied Piper of Hamlin meets Joe Cocker impersonation. :uhh: It was not big, it was not clever, it was just... uncalled for. What people do in the privacy of their own home is one thing, but doing in public? No, decent folk have to draw the line somewhere.

Freddie Mercury (Queen) was a good showman, Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Christine McVie of (Fleetwood Mac) I like watching Stevie Nicks, but I prefer to hear Christie.

Thom Yorke. Kinetic stage prescence, passionate, with a good measure of eccentricity to keep things interesting.

Speaking of passion and eccentricity, how about Jim Morrison. Complete with the dark poet twist.

the number 42 said:
a weirdly self-conscious loss of himself that could be uncomfortable to watch.

You know that comment actually applies very well to Ma Yau Yau, especially the "uncomfortable to watch" part. :yuck:

Sid vicous isn't a front man, he was the bassist i beleive, Jonny rotten was the frontman for the sex pistols and he was pretty cool. So is Scott Weiland (Stone temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver) he put on a great show. Mick Jagger is also really good.

Andy said:
Sid vicous isn't a front man, he was the bassist i beleive, Jonny rotten was the frontman for the sex pistols and he was pretty cool.
I stand corrected.

i agree wit Astronoc and Echo 6 Sierra . Robert Plant is an amazing frontman. But my favorite would have to be Jonathan Davis from Korn. He really has presence.

former Creed frontman Scott Stapp is interesting to watch.

Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company

Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention

Andy said:
Sid vicous isn't a front man, he was the bassist i beleive, Jonny rotten was the frontman for the sex pistols and he was pretty cool. So is Scott Weiland (Stone temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver) he put on a great show. Mick Jagger is also really good.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
I stand corrected.

The late Mr Vicious was the bass player for the Sex Pistols, but enjoyed a brief solo singing career, leaving us such delights as My Way and C'mon Everybody. If you enjoy the sight of someone destroying themselves, he was a good frontman.

Polly said:
You know that comment actually applies very well to Ma Yau Yau, especially the "uncomfortable to watch" part. :yuck:

Sounds interesting. Got a link to any Ma Yau Yau?

I need to remediate an omission - in Robin Trower, Trower played lead guitar, but the bassist James Dewar was lead vocalist, at least at the time Bridge of Sighs was released.

I agree with Evo, Frank Zappa and Janis were great. Zappa was fantastic on guitar, and he had some strange lyrics and songs. Janis could belt it out.

I would also add:

Greg Lake - Emerson, Lake and Palmer; King Crimson

Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes

Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple

Carlos Santana - Santana

Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane; Jefferson Starship

Jerry Garcia - Grateful Dead

Jim Morrison - Doors

Jeff Beck - Jeff Beck Group; Yardbirds

Keith Relf - Yardbirds

Steve Windwood - Traffic; Blind Faith

Dino Valenti (vocals), John Cipollina - Quicksilver Messenger Service

Donald Roeser (aka Buck Dharma), Eric Bloom - Blue Öyster Cult

Rodger Waters, David Gilmore - Pink Floyd

Paul Rodgers - Bad Company

Justin Hayward, John Lodge - Moody Blues

Bono - U2

One could add John Lennon, Paul McCartney of the Beatles - before 1972.

*Not Mick Jagger - Rolling Stones (before 1969)

Astronuc said:
Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane;
Okay :approve:

Jefferson Starship
Not okay :grumpy:

Also : Doug Ingle (Iron Butterfly), Eric Burdon (Animals), Neil Young (CSNY and alone), Curt Cobain (Nirvana), Ozzy (Black Sabbath), Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), Peter Frampton, Tom Petty, Lou Reed, Angus Young/Brian Johnson, Eddie van Halen/Roth/Hagar ...

the number 42 said:
All I know about him is a black & white video of them in action, with Ian doing a Pied Piper of Hamlin meets Joe Cocker impersonation. :uhh: It was not big, it was not clever, it was just... uncalled for. What people do in the privacy of their own home is one thing, but doing in public? No, decent folk have to draw the line somewhere.

I don't get this still :grumpy:

Why chastise a flautist for appearing too Pied Piper-like ? :confused:

Gokul43201 said:
Astronuc said:
Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane;
Okay :approve:
:approve: I hate Jefferson Starship.

Oooh Eric Burden and the Animals. You know some good ones for such a young lad.

Astronuc, I saw Zappa & the Mothers live at the Catacombs. He was the "conductor" on stage, sometimes the audience was part of what he conducted. :biggrin:

I was very young (pre-teen but very mature for my age) and luckily I had a cool mom that would drop me off and pick me up from the concerts I wanted to see. I have been lucky enough to see Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison (The Doors) in concert.

Evo said:
I was very young (pre-teen but very mature for my age) and luckily I had a cool mom that would drop me off and pick me up from the concerts I wanted to see. I have been lucky enough to see Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison (The Doors) in concert.
My folks were definitely not as cool, especially not after the coverage of Woodstock. Now if I had wanted to go hear Beethoven or Mozart.

So, Evo, how come you didn't call me about the concerts? I would have liked to have seen Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison.

I do remember when Jimi and then Janis died. Bummed the entire school. I think there was an attempt to boycott classes. Interesting times back then.

As for Starship - I like Jane (Freedom at Point Zero) and St. Charles (Spitfire), but otherwise, I was generally disappointed - too much of change from Airplane.

Hey Gokul, you do have good knowledge of and taste in music.

Last edited:
the number 42 said:
Sounds interesting. Got a link to any Ma Yau Yau?

:rofl: Mean and nasty, so I made a mistake. Here's the link in case you don't know who I am referring to. ^.^

Very mean ! :devil:

When did it start becoming cool to call Yo Yo Ma, "ma yau yau"...or is this some inside joke ?

I'm not young...I was born in the 70s.

Gokul43201 said:
I'm not young...I was born in the 70s.
Oh good, then I can ask you to marry me and not have to fear legal repercussions. :approve:

Did anyone ever get a chance to hear Sandy Denny when she was with Fairport Convention live?

I would have liked to see Grace with The Great Society. I like the songs that came out of there a lot more than the Jefferson Airplane songs. I would have really liked to see the band "Love" perform too. Unfortunately I was born a couple decades too late :).

Of course Hendrix, Janis, Robert & Jimmy, would have been fantastic to see, as would Jim Morisson.

I tink Ozzy should get some credit as well, he's always been pretty outrageous.

Would have loved to see Clapton back in his Cream days as well. Mmmmm, mmm, good.

-JasonZ

Polly said:
:rofl: Mean and nasty, so I made a mistake. Here's the link in case you don't know who I am referring to. ^.^

I liked the bit where he poked the flautist in the eye with a mackerel - that's what I call rock.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't get this still :grumpy:

Why chastise a flautist for appearing too Pied Piper-like ? :confused:

Put it this way, I'd like to see him jam with my man Ma Yau Yau.

the number 42 said:
I liked the bit where he poked the flautist in the eye with a mackerel - that's what I call rock.

Ehh? :confused:

Gokul43201 said:
When did it start becoming cool to call Yo Yo Ma, "ma yau yau"...or is this some inside joke ?

:biggrin: That's the transliteration of his Chinese name.

the number 42 said:
Put it this way, I'd like to see him jam with my man Ma Yau Yau.

Maybe you'd need to lend him your b**ls of steel, though :biggrin:

Polly said:
:biggrin: That's the transliteration of his Chinese name.

So what does his name mean? Death Hate Hate? Sex Drugs Violince? Enquiring minds demand to be told.