Favourite Quotes

• #1,676
My number one of all time, truly magnificent quote:

"If any man is unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone."
Epictetus

and the rest:

"If you work at that which is before you, following right reason seriously, vigorously, calmly without allowing anything else to distract you, but keeping your divine part pure, as if you might be bound to give it back immediately; if you hold to this, expecting nothing, fearing nothing, but satisfied with your present activity according to nature, you will be happy. And there is no man who is able to prevent this."
Marcus Aurelius

"You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."
Marcus Aurelius

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will."
Epictetus

"There is no person so severely punished, as those who subject themselves to the whip of their own remorse."
Seneca the Younger

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
Marcus Aurelius

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do."
Epictetus

"All cruelty springs from weakness."
Seneca the Younger

"Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him."
Epictetus

There are too many to list. I would quote Epictetus' Discourses, M. Aurelius's Meditations, and Seneca's Letters in their entirety.

• #1,677
"All cruelty springs from weakness."
Seneca the Younger

double that

• #1,678
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you see only one possible answer, you failed to comprehend the question - Karl Popper.

• #1,679
td21
Gold Member
“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

• #1,680
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I have often said elsewhere what I wish to repeat here, that Mr. Lincoln was not only a great President, but a GREAT MAN--too great to be small in anything. In his company I was never in any way reminded of my humble origin, or of my unpopular color.
--- Frederick Douglass

• #1,681
drizzle
Gold Member
When you are in love, you meet with the universe' motion. For the morning breaths with love. The sun shines with love. The flower opens with love.. Congrats for the universal meeting!
- Mohammed Al Dehaim

• #1,682
"I'm gonna hit you so hard that when you wake up, your clothes will be out of style"

Bit silly but makes me smile everytime!

• #1,683
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.
― Arundhati Roy

• #1,684
Lisa!
Gold Member
Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength.
- jim hardy

• #1,685
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Thanks Lisa! - but I shoulda credited Eric Hoffer... [sheepish grin icon]

• #1,686
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Sharing favorite quotes, is an acknowledgment, that some people are much better at expressing what you've known for a long time, better than you can.
Thank you Lisa!, and jim hardy. :smile:

Last edited:
  • #1,687
reenmachine
Gold Member
One of my favorite , from Nietzsche:

"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

• #1,688
"People talk a lot and yet oft say naught."

• #1,689
One of my favorite , from Nietzsche:

"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
Hmmm...seems I knew a paraphrased version of it:
Peer not into the darkness for it peers back into you.

• #1,690
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
"People talk a lot and yet oft say naught."
Hmmm...seems I knew a paraphrased version of it:
Peer not into the darkness for it peers back into you.
The original would have been in German leaving it to judgement and inspiration of translator understanding whole essay or book, what English wording best renders.

• #1,691
OmCheeto
Gold Member
The original would have been in German leaving it to judgement and inspiration of translator understanding whole essay or book, what English wording best renders.
The original book is available in both German and English at Gutenberg.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum
Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der
Abgrund auch in dich hinein.
My attempt at a translation of the first sentence:
"Who struggles with monsters, wishes, that they themselves do not become monsters".

I refuse to attempt a translation of his "Abgrund/Abyss" phrase, as it is not clear to me, as a non-Nietzschean, how it relates to the first sentence. Though, reading about him for the last two hours, it appears he didn't think highly of many people, if any at all, other than himself.

hmmm....

how about this:

"When you gaze long into the eyes of an idiot you are arguing with, they will gaze back". :tongue:

• #1,692
"Abgrund" (abyss) is used in the same way as in "Abgründe der Seele" ("abyss of your soul"?).

• #1,693
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Though, reading about him for the last two hours, it appears he didn't think highly of many people, if any at all, other than himself.

Not to demean the man,,,,

You'd enjoy "My Sister and I" which his family still insists he did not write.
One liner that i remember best is to effect "No, i do not think i am God. That would be a demotion."

regardless who actually wrote it, it is rich in outrageous humor.

Last edited:
  • #1,694
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
  • #1,695
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
"When you gaze long into the eyes of an idiot you are arguing with, they will gaze back". :tongue:
Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle said:
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
:biggrin:

Seriously, this was interesting.

Ich spreche nicht sehr gut German, ja, aber some words are very close to the Swedish-svenskö-mumbo-jumbo language like; Abgrund --> Avgrund etc.

The word monster is the same in German/English/Swedish, but Nietzsche uses the word Ungeheuer, which afaik is more like behemoth/beast/cryptid... (or 'the second beast' = false prophet = impostor?)

Here's my try:

"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"He who fights with beasts should make sure, that in the process, he becomes not a beast. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into thee."

Devils Epilog:

Thou who fight with German geniuses, make sure before wasting too much time, that the man whose work you've gazed too long into, is not gazing into thee with a megalomaniac nutcase stare.

360px-Friedrich_Nietzsche_drawn_by_Hans_Olde.jpg

History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell said:
What are we to think of Nietzsche's doctrines? How far are they true? Are they in any degree useful? Is there in them anything objective, or are they the mere power-phantasies of an invalid?
[...]
Nevertheless there is a great deal in him that must be dismissed as merely megalomaniac.
[...]
It is obvious that in his day-dreams he is a warrior, not a professor; all the men he admires were military. His opinion of women, like every man's, is an objectification of his own emotion towards them, which is obviously one of fear.
[...]
It never occurred to Nietzsche that the lust for power, with which he endows his superman, is itself an outcome of fear. Those who do not fear their neighbours see no necessity to tyrannize over them. Men who have conquered fear have not the frantic quality of Nietzsche's 'artist-tyrant' Neros, who try to enjoy music and massacre while their hearts are filled with dread of the inevitable palace revolution. I will not deny that, partly as a result of his teaching, the real world has become very like his nightmare, but that does not make it any the less horrible.
Bertrand Russell was a cool dude. :approve:

• #1,696
OmCheeto
Gold Member
:biggrin:

Seriously, this was interesting.

Ich spreche nicht sehr gut German, ja, aber some words are very close to the Swedish-svenskö-mumbo-jumbo language like; Abgrund --> Avgrund etc.

The word monster is the same in German/English/Swedish, but Nietzsche uses the word Ungeheuer, which afaik is more like behemoth/beast/cryptid... (or 'the second beast' = false prophet = impostor?)

Here's my try:

"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"He who fights with beasts should make sure, that in the process, he becomes not a beast. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into thee."

Devils Epilog:

Thou who fight with German geniuses, make sure before wasting too much time, that the man whose work you've gazed too long into, is not gazing into thee with a megalomaniac nutcase stare.

360px-Friedrich_Nietzsche_drawn_by_Hans_Olde.jpg

Bertrand Russell was a cool dude. :approve:
We are one tonight. :smile:

Russell rules!

----------------------------
ps. I dreaded sharing this Nietzsche thread/thought with my Russian friend today.

But I did, and it turned out fine.

He basically said; "Nietzsche, liked to **** with peoples heads"

:redface:

• #1,697
One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny.
-Russell

• #1,698
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
Russell rules!
Yup! :thumbs:

He basically said; "Nietzsche, liked to **** with peoples heads"
Ваш товарищ прав.

Not only did he **** with people's heads, he also imploded his own... hmm, I wonder if there's some "Hillbilly logic" going on here... Nietzsche lived to be 55, Russell lived to 97...
"Evil kills you before you know it." ― Avocado on the run (in Mexico:D)​

• #1,699
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." ― Bertrand Russell

220px-1%2B1%3D2.png

"The above proposition is occasionally useful." ― Bertrand Russell

(... Bertrand walks the talk ... :D)

• #1,700
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Reviewing his own book, A History of Western Philosophy

B. Russell said:
...to my mind, a man without bias cannot write interesting history — if, indeed, such a man exists.
There were some nasty reviews. The only names I recognized were Einstein's and Schrödinger's. They both gave it a thumbs up.

Never in my life would I have guessed that I would want to waste my time and money on a book about Philosophy. hmmm... As usual, Joni was right.

Joni Mitchell said:
But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day