Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
I have many favourite quotes. The current one on my MSN name is...

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity." - James F. Bymes

Physics news on Phys.org
Those who have an excessive faith in their ideas are not well-fitted to make discoveries
Claude Bernard

I find the non-pragmatic quotes to be redundant and have an element of pseudo-depth.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

I read the above one first, and then ran across this one:

"Every woman should have four pets in her life. A mink in her closet, a jaguar in her garage, a tiger in her bed, and a jackass who pays for everything."
- Paris Hilton

I wondered if Paris has learned anything from the time when she did say that --yet.

rewebster said:
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

I read the above one first, and then ran across this one:

"Every woman should have four pets in her life. A mink in her closet, a jaguar in her garage, a tiger in her bed, and a jackass who pays for everything."
- Paris Hilton

I wondered if Paris has learned anything from the time when she did say that --yet.
That's an old quote, it was someone like Zsa Zsa Gabor or Mae West that originally said it.

Evo said:
That's an old quote, it was someone like Zsa Zsa Gabor or Mae West that originally said it.

Paris, Mae, Marilyn, Zsa Zsa----why are all the good women alcoholics and gold diggers?

(it was Mae West who said it--I don't think Paris has said anything and original and 'quotable' yet)

I will drive the walking Wst and will not stand observant the passerby procession in front of me .
ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ
jobran khaliel jobran

"The Supreme Court ruled today that George Bush will be awarded the Nobel Prize instead of Al Gore. That was the joke going around Washington today." - David Brooks.

Ivan Seeking said:
"The Supreme Court ruled today that George Bush will be awarded the Nobel Prize instead of Al Gore. That was the joke going around Washington today." - David Brooks.
:rofl:

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. - Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - Arthur Conan Doyle, A Scandal in Bohemia.

pace said:
...yay...

Hopefully everyone gets the irony of an "environmentally friendly" bomb. Only a politician could come up with that one!

The average woman would rather have beauty than brains,

because the average man can see better than he can think.

~Author Unknown

----------------------------------------------

Brains are an asset, if you hide them.

Mae West

------------------------------------------------

I have an idea that the phrase "weaker sex" was coined by some woman to disarm some man she was preparing to overwhelm.

--Ogden Nash

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Hopefully everyone gets the irony of an "environmentally friendly" bomb. Only a politician could come up with that one!

Yeah. Soon we'll be told a whole lot of people will die environmentally friendly I'm sure.

Last edited:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

-- Albert Einstein

A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice.

Edgar Watson Howe

-----------------------------------------------
I never had a man come to me for advice yet,

but what I soon discovered that

he thought more of his own opinion than he did of mine.

Josh Billings

I think this has already been quoted, but it bears repeating.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

–Anonymous

That's where http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/06/howd-we-get-here-from-there.htm is generated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen Colbert: Ah, the famous pocket Constitution. Did you shrink it yourself?

Dennis Kucinich: No, George Bush already did that for me

One in three meals is eaten in a car
http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/newshour/expansion/2007/10/16/20071016_school28.rm?altplay=20071016_school28.rm

That is amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Colin Powell was a big letdown. He could have made a good Pres. but now he's blown it, well for a while anyway. I thought the guy had class until the UN crap.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science,

the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!'

but,

'that's funny...'

Isaac Asimov

All great discoveries are made by men
whose feelings run ahead of their thinking.

Charles Henry Parkhurst

Last edited:
rewebster said:
The most exciting phrase to hear in science,

the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!'

but,

'that's funny...'

Isaac Asimov
Right up there with "WTF!" which is sometimes followed by "That wasn't supposed to happen", which precedes my involvement. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Right up there with "WTF!" which is sometimes followed by "That wasn't supposed to happen", which precedes my involvement. :biggrin:

so your job can be called either 'The Janitor' or 'The Bounty Hunter'?----

More like the Janitor or Mr. Fixit.

When technology don't go as planned - for the last 30+ years.

Keeps me busy - and employed - for a long time to come.

A champion is someone who gets up when he can't. - Jack Dempsey

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. - Einstein

A little knowledge is dangerous. So is a lot. - Einstein

A politician should always be sincere whether he means it or not - Pat Paulsen

Last edited:
From [I assume] the Dean of Wellesley College, while introducing Hillary as the guest speaker:
You should have seen the debate last night: It was six guys all ganging up on Hillary, which is what I call a fair fight!

I'm not a Hillary fan, but I liked that one.

Hehaka Sapa said:
Hear me, four quarters of the world.

A relative I am!

Give me the strength to walk the soft earth.

Give me the eyes to see and the strength to understand.

Look upon these faces of children without number,
that they may face the winds and walk the good road to the day of quiet.

This is my prayer; hear me.

The Sacred Hoop (Ring/Circle)
Hehaka Sapa said:
Then I was standing on the higher mountain of them all,

and around beneath me was the whole hoop of the world.

And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell,

and I understood more than I saw.

For I was seing in the sacred manner the shape of all things of the spirit

and the shapes as they must live together like one being.

And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people was one of many hoops that make one circle;

wide as daylight and starlight,

and in the center grew one mighty tree

to shelter all the children of one mother and one father

And I saw that it was holy.

Hehaka Sapa (Black Elk) of the Oglala Lakota
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Elk

Remarkable person with great wisdom he was.

Astronuc said:
Yep, that was probably the motivating factor behind my travel to far-flung pulp and paper mills more often than I know. Once you solve a few WTF problems, word gets around. In industry, time not only equals money, it is the life-blood of the business and sub-standard efficiencies for any significant period of time can destroy your company, especially if you are producing a commodity like wood pulp, paper, etc that can be picked up anywhere and can't easily be branded.

The paper machine that I was the lead operator on from start-up and six years thereafter made coated, calendared paper for Elle, Playboy centerfolds, and other uses where high print quality was essential. I could have accepted nominal adviser status at any number of paper mills after that and have made a whole lot of money for not a lot of work, but my old employer and the manufacturer of the initial paper machine would still be suing me to this day. Not good.

Hehaka Sapa (Black Elk) of the Oglala Lakota
The haka (battle dance) performed by the Tainui tribe of the NZ Maori (people) ends as follows (it was first spoken by a chief who was emerging from a cave where he had hidden from an enemy):

..."E houpane! E koupane!
E houpane koupane, whiti Te Ra!"

...which means "I step forward! I step back!
I step forward I step back, the Sun shines!"

this was essentially a giving of thanks to both the Sun and to the grace of his enemy for not killing him as he emerged. Many chiefs were accomplished poets and speakers.
Just a little insight into what the NZ All-Black rugby team does before the kick-off...

Last edited:
Phred101.2 said:
The haka (battle dance) performed by the Tainui tribe of the NZ Maori (people) ends as follows (it was first spoken by a chief who was emerging from a cave where he had hidden from an enemy):

..."E houpane! E koupane!
E houpane koupane, whiti Te Ra!"

...which means "I step forward! I step back!
I step forward I step back, the Sun shines!"

this was essentially a giving of thanks to both the Sun and to the grace of his enemy for not killing him as he emerged. Many chiefs were accomplished poets and speakers.
Just a little insight into what the NZ All-Black rugby team does before the kick-off...

I love the haka! It's the part of the rugby I just can't miss :tongue:

Glad to see you can still talk about the ABs with pride!

Yeah, everyone complains about the weather but no one ever does anything about it!
- Zoobyshoe

If Kucinich is elected President, his wife would be the first First Lady with a pierced tongue
- unknown, but probably from The Daily Show or The Colbert Report

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. ”

~ Terry Pratchett on fire

:rofl: I love this one.

Dogs look up to you.
Cats look down on you.

Give me a pig.
He just looks you in the eye and treats you like an equal.

- Winston Churchill

http://ecards.alege.net:81/31/pig_smiling.jpg

Last edited:
"Giuliani got the support of Pat Robertson today. That's about like getting a kiss from your crazy old aunt!" - Cafferty.

This could go in LOL, but

"Politicians are like diapers, they all stink and should be replaced frequently!" :rofl:

From the new Robin Williams movie, or so I was told.