Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,261
the rational man tries to change himself, the irrational man tries to change the world. thus, all progress depends on the irrational man.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,262
It is necessary to work, if not from inclination, at least from despair. Everything considered, work is less boring than amusing oneself.

Charles Baudelaire

• #1,263
To infinity. And beyond!

• #1,264
Misericorde said:
"Hide a knife behind a smile" (unknown)
"Smiles conceal knives." (Fynn Flewelling)

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
- Will Rogers

• #1,265
DaveC426913 said:
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
- Will Rogers

That's wicked! Seems true as well.

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

• #1,266
"May you live a long and lucid life spent in excruciating physical and mental anguish." -Me

• #1,267
I may be apatetic but, I don't care.
- the internet

Hypocrisy is the vaseline of political intercourse.
- some TV show

(I'm also too lazy to look up the authors today) :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • #1,268
"They're all jerks, when you're out here on your own, just assume that everybody else is drunk or on the phone. They're all jerks, not a one knows how to drive, so yah got to pay attention, to make it home alive..." (Part of 'Grandpa's Advice', a song about driving)

• #1,269
Misericorde said:
"They're all jerks, when you're out here on your own, just assume that everybody else is drunk or on the phone. They're all jerks, not a one knows how to drive, so yah got to pay attention, to make it home alive..." (Part of 'Grandpa's Advice', a song about driving)
*chuckle*

• #1,270
Bill Maher New Rule:

“non-violence was Jesus’ trademark” and that Christians who celebrated the killing of Osama bin Laden are not faithful to the teachings of Christ.

“If you’re a Christian and support killing your enemies and torture, you have to come up with a new name for yourself,”

“Capping thine enemy is not exactly what Jesus would do — it’s what Suge Knight would do …Martin Luther King gets to call himself a Christian because he actually practiced loving his enemies, and Gandhi was so ****ing Christian he was Hindu”

• #1,271
"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says... 'Oh ****...he's awake!'"

• #1,272
khemist said:
"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says... 'Oh ****...he's awake!'"

:rofl:
(Reminds me of the Klingon death ritual of screaming. They scream not out of mourning, but to warn the Underworld that a warrior is coming.)

• #1,273
leave her be, i do not wage war on women.
conan

• #1,274
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Carl Sagan

• #1,275
Darken-Sol said:
leave her be, i do not wage war on women.
conan

You see, this always confused me when the same character claimed that the best thing in life was, "To crush your enemies , see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." -Conan

It just occurred to me, given the nature and outrage of his recent scandal, maybe that wasn't so much Conan as Schwarzenegger himself. :rolleyes:

• #1,276
Frankly said:
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Carl Sagan

"Just because it could be, doesn't mean it is; just because anything is possible doesn't imply a physical reality." -Me, just now.

• #1,277
Hendrix, 'when the power of overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.'

Descartes, 'I think, therefore I am.'

'To know the good is to do the good,' said Socrates.

Brian Madland, 'I wish I knew if we were near where we needed to be.'

'Can you know where you're going if you don't know how you got here?'

'A lofty spot is a fine place for a dead-reckoning wanderer.'

'Not all who wander are lost.'

And while measuring gravity out of a Sno-Cat on the frozen Arctic ocean, one of which had a serious exhaust leak, me radioing them... Derek Vanwestrum, 'Schrodinger's Sno-Cat, we're still alive.'

• #1,278
Misericorde said:
You see, this always confused me when the same character claimed that the best thing in life was, "To crush your enemies , see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." -Conan

It just occurred to me, given the nature and outrage of his recent scandal, maybe that wasn't so much Conan as Schwarzenegger himself. :rolleyes:

ah, you are watching conan, i am reading conan.

• #1,279
I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London. -Apocryphal attrib. Wernher Von Braun

• #1,280
"Let me say on the record, any ad which quotes what I said on Sunday is a falsehood.
- Newt Gingrich

• #1,282
I would rather have a good plan today than a perfect plan two weeks from now.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Always do more than is required of you.

-- George S. Patton

I love all of these quotes so much.

The first one because, well... imo there's just so much to it.

Second one because it's funny, considering who the guy is.

And the third because it's good advice.

• #1,283
Ivan Seeking said:
- Newt Gingrich

I thought this was a joke, then Googled it; I'm absolutely stunned. I knew the guy was a maniac, but damn!

• #1,284
"My proof is wrong" - anonymous

• #1,285
My favorite Mao Zedong quote: "You [intellectuals] revile us for being Qin Shi Huangs. You are wrong. He buried 460 scholars alive; we have buried forty-six thousand scholars alive..."

• #1,286
I like lots of Bridget Jones sayings the entire film for me is the source of wisdom :) It has a very elegant humor, I like the movie greatly and the quotes are fascinating I can't even choose one for citing! :)
This must be my favourite Mark Darcy: Mother, I do not need a blind date. Particularly not with some verbally incontinent spinster who drinks like a fish, smokes like a chimney, and dresses like her mother.

• #1,287
Oh cheer up Harold, it's not like it's the end of the world. - Mrs. Camping.

• #1,288
Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat (Gaelic)
means= "May the cat eat you, and the devil eat the cat."
-Old Irish/Gaelic curse

Part of a triad of classic curses:

"May you leave without returning."
"May you fall without rising."

I don't know the Gaelic for those however. Nasty, but funny too; very Irish.

• #1,289
"The mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding fine." -Longfellow quoting 17th century manuscript, possibly originally Greek

• #1,290
~ 1:100 people are psychopaths. For CEOs and politicians, the average is about 4:100
- The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry; Jon Ronson

This suggests that we have four psychopaths in the Senate, seventeen in the House of Representitives, and had one or two as President.

• #1,291
Ivan Seeking said:

This suggests that we have four psychopaths in the Senate, seventeen in the House of Representitives, and had one or two as President.

Sounds like a fun political thread - it's a long weekend?:smile:

• #1,292
Jimmy Snyder on marriage said:
Congratulations. Just remember that it takes commitment. Marriage is an institution and you should be committed to an institution.
-----

• #1,293
"Fear not, yet anxious be"

• #1,294
"Face is the natural abstraction of unity in being, the capital of being and the crown upon your head."

• #1,295
Ivan Seeking said:

If that's accurate, that's terrifying, but it sure does explain a lot of things.