Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,331
Zero Hedge said:
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone, drops to zero.

Actually, it was some guy from Pasco.

Palahniuk is his name, so says wiki. Which also according to wiki, was Jack Palance's actual birthname: Ukrainian: Володимир Палагнюк

I wonder if they are related.

I'm not in random thoughts, am I.

sorry...

:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
Eminem said:
I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Hmmmm... Simple as that. :smile:

• #1,333
President Nixon: So Doctor, the world is safe again.

Doctor Who: SAFE?! Of course it's not safe. There are a billion other things out there just waiting to burn your world.

Last edited:
  • #1,334
Ivan Seeking said:
President Nixon: So Doctor, the world is safe again.

Doctor Who: SAFE?! Of course it's not safe. There are a billion other things out there just waiting to burn your world.

Ivan, I didn't know you were a fan of "Who" - like in WhoWee.:wink:

• #1,335
WhoWee said:
Ivan, I didn't know you were a fan of "Who" - like in WhoWee.:wink:

I've been a Whovian since the 80s.

Netflix has one of the very early Whos availalble for streaming - The Aztecs; 1964. Wow! It seems, from what I've seen so far, that the audience never even saw inside of the TARDIS back then. In my view, for 50 years Who has just gotten better and better. It is quite an amazing story in the history of Sci-Fi.

The programme is listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running science fiction television show in the world,[1] and as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time, in terms of its overall broadcast ratings, DVD and book sales, iTunes traffic, and "illegal downloads".[2] It has been recognised for its imaginative stories, creative low-budget special effects during its original run, and pioneering use of electronic music (originally produced by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop). The show is a significant part of British popular culture[3][4] in the United Kingdom, and elsewhere it has become a cult television favourite. The show has influenced generations of British television professionals, many of whom grew up watching the series. It has received recognition from critics and the public as one of the finest British television programmes, including the BAFTA Award for Best Drama Series in 2006, and five consecutive wins at the National Television Awards from 2005 to 2010, in the Drama category while under Russell T Davies' reign as executive producer.[5][6] In 2011 Matt Smith became the first actor to be nominated for a BAFTA for portraying the Doctor, but lost to Daniel Rigby.
- wiki -

First aired in 1963, so almost 50 years.

Last edited:
  • #1,336
Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

Here is another one

Lady Aston : Mr. Churchill, you are drunk!

Winston Churchill: "Yes, and you, Madam, are ugly but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly."

The funniest thing is that churchill wad really drunk

• #1,337
Seinfeld I think: "Women need a reason to make love men just need a place"

• #1,338
Monty Python: Nixon went into get a new ***hole but the ***hole rejected him.

Last edited:
  • #1,339
Cherokee proverb said:
When the white man discovered this country, Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this.

Once in a while, a young person posts something, that looks pretty profound. Often times, it is something very old, that has been rediscovered. The above I discovered after I read my FB friends quote yesterday:

Cree Indian Prophecy said:
Only after the last tree has been cut down.
Only after the last river has been poisoned.
Only after the last fish has been caught.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

I'm not sure why I like young people. Perhaps, it's because they remind me of me, in my youth.

• #1,340
If Bush was cancer, and Obama is the chemo, Rick Perry is what it looks like when the cancer returns. - Bill Maher

• #1,341
I'm not sure why I like young people. Perhaps, it's because they remind me of me, in my youth. - OmCheeto

• #1,342
jobyts said:
If Bush was cancer, and Obama is the chemo, Rick Perry is what it looks like when the cancer returns. - Bill Maher
OK if we're going to go after political digs...
(Subconscious honesty?)
"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." – Obama, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

• #1,343
jobyts said:

If Maher was ever funny - he's morphed into something that isn't - now he's just mean, nasty, bitter, and mostly irrelevant.

• #1,344
WhoWee said:
If Maher was ever funny - he's morphed into something that isn't - now he's just mean, nasty, bitter, and mostly irrelevant.

I thought "mean, nasty, bitter and mostly irrelevant", were job requirements for popular comedians.

That particular comment was pretty benign for Maher.

• #1,345
"I refuse to believe God has given us the faculty of reason only to forgo its use."

Voltaire.

• #1,346
Ivan Seeking said:
I thought "mean, nasty, bitter and mostly irrelevant", were job requirements for popular comedians.

That particular comment was pretty benign for Maher.

Are you sure it's good for us to agree so often - what will folks think?

• #1,347
"We're all pretty bizarre, some of us are just better at hiding it."
From the Breakfast Club :D

• #1,348
"ENJOY LIFE NOW - IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE" - author unknown to me

• #1,349
  • #1,350
"If you don't know what it is, it's best to leave it alone." - Anon, but very true for divers. There some things down there which can put a world of hurt on you.

• #1,351
DoggerDan said:
"If you don't know what it is, it's best to leave it alone." - Anon, but very true for divers. There some things down there which can put a world of hurt on you.

Amen. Brushed up against one or two of em...

• #1,352
Eden Philpotts said:
The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

Found whilst searching for answers to the http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,354
Trogdor said:
Newton died an 84 year old virgin

Just noticed it on the first page and this is surprisingly true!

In fact i think some one should really use this line as a signature:rofl:

• #1,355
Friedrich Schiller said:
Against stupidity, the gods themselves, contend in vain.

Also a good book. :wink:

• #1,356
OmCheeto said:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Schiller
Against stupidity, the gods themselves, contend in vain.
Also a good book. :wink:
True dat. :rofl:

• #1,357

quddusaliquddus said:
What are your favourite quotes?

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1816

• #1,358

Demystifier said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1816

Interestingly, this...
Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone.
Albert Einstein
...is exactly what we're arguing against, in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3534922&postcount=71".

(A-wal doubts GR because he can't formulate a conceptual model of the event horizon of a black hole. We are arguing that the math models it, that we do not have a conceptual model for something so far outside our experience.)

• #1,359
One of my favorites is by Shakespeare:

"there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (From Hamlet)

There's also another one about being less likely to break means it's a living hell trying to fix it, or something along those lines. I don't remember who said it, though.

• #1,360
"stay hungry stay foolish...,i have always wished that for my self"

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

• #1,361
FizixFreak said:
"stay hungry stay foolish...,i have always wished that for my self"

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

Nice.

• #1,362
‎"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life." -Steve Jobs

• #1,364
"What is a Hilbert Space?" - David Hilbert.

• #1,365
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that."

-Martin Luther King Jr.