Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,506
"It is the duty of children to wait on elders, and not the elders on children." - African Proverb

"Television to brainwash us all and the Internet to eliminate any last resistance." - Paul Carvel

"You are not here to merely make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand." - Woodrow Wilson

"You got to dream, you got to protect it. People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you, you can't do it. If you want something, go get it. Period." - Will Smith in 'Pursuit of Happyness'

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,507
And somewhat more than a quote, but my favorite and in my opinion a humbling one:

From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there*– on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity*– in all this vastness*– there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
—Carl Sagan,*Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, 1997

• #1,508
Ough, I've got a myriad favourite quotes. Here are a few that come to mind:

"This feather stirs; she lives. If it be so,
It is a chance which does redeem all sorrows
That ever I have felt." - King Lear.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet

"For the sake of common worship they've slain each other with the sword. They have set up gods and challenged one another, "Put away your gods and come worship ours, or we will kill you and your gods!" And so it will be to the end of the world, even when gods disappear from the earth; they will fall down before idols just the same." - The Grand Inquisitor (on the nature of man), from Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.

"The Reason of your unreasonable Usage of my Reason, does so enfeeble my Reason, that I have Reason to expostulate with your beauty." - from Don Quixote.

"O Thou steeled Cognizance whose leap commits
The agile precincts of the lark’s return;
Within whose lariat sweep encinctured sing
In single chrysalis the many twain,—
Of stars Thou art the stitch and stallion glow
And like an organ, Thou, with sound of doom—
Sight, sound and flesh Thou leadest from time’s realm
As love strikes clear direction for the helm." - Hart Crane, Atlantis.

"O, thou hast damnable iteration and art indeed able
to corrupt a saint. Thou hast done much harm upon
me, Hal; God forgive thee for it! Before I knew
thee, Hal, I knew nothing; and now am I, if a man
should speak truly, little better than one of the
wicked. I must give over this life, and I will give
it over: by the Lord, and I do not, I am a villain:
I'll be damned for never a king's son in
Christendom." - Sir John Falstaff.

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.” - Cormac McCarthy, The Road

• #1,509
Everyone believes an experiment…except the guy who ran it
And no one believes a calculation…except the guy who made it.
B. L. Smith, Technical Meeting on Application of CFD for NPP Design and Safety Analysis, Dec. 2010

• #1,510
Statistics are like a bikini - they pretend to show everything, hiding the really important bits.

• #1,511
In God we trust. All others must bring data.

• #1,512
"Getting the 'right' answer is important, but understanding how to solve the problem (i.e. how you get the right answer) is just as important, if not more so."
-Astronuc
I have used this a number of times since I first noticed it.

• #1,513
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
-- Jonathan Swift

• #1,514
It was on fire when I lay down on it. -- Robert Fulghum

• #1,515
Man, sometimes God really sucks.
Glenn Beck

• #1,516
Time flies like an arrow; fruit files like a banana.

• #1,517
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what." - Mitt Romney

Actually, it's 50.5%.

• #1,518
Jimmy Snyder said:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what." - Mitt Romney

Actually, it's 50.5%.
:rofl::rofl: Where do you get this stuff?

• #1,519
LOL Jimmy, indeed a favorite quote :rofl::cry::rofl:

• #1,520
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll be drinking beer for the rest of his life.

• #1,521
Ivan Seeking said:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll be drinking beer for the rest of his life.

thats so bad, haha, destroying a wonderful saying
but a lot of truth in there ;)

Dave

• #1,522
Common sense seems commonly elusive.

• #1,523
Perspicuity obviates perspicacity.

• #1,524
Bill Maher: "I'm the last of my guy friends to have never gotten married, and their wives — they don't want them playing with me. I'm like the escaped slave — I bring news of freedom."

• #1,525
Heinrich Heine said:
That was but a prelude; where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.

--------------------------
Born Harry Heine
13 December 1797
Düsseldorf
Died 17 February 1856 (aged 58)
Paris, France
Occupation Poet, essayist, journalist, literary critic
Nationality German
Alma mater Bonn, Berlin, Göttingen

• #1,526
Tasty Cosmos, Milky Way bar, MoonPie, Eclipse gum, Orbit gum, Sunkist, Celestial Seasonings, Mars bar. No food named Uranus. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

• #1,527
... and of course she promptly loved him, or thought she did, which amounts to the same thing. - Jack London in Martin Eden.

• #1,528
It's better to burn out than to fade way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnq_W0i3Bs

• #1,529
The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.

- Albert Einstein

• #1,530
I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous

• #1,531
I'll put it on the cuff.

• #1,532
A diplomat is just a politician who has been dead for fifteen years.

• #1,533
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

• #1,534
Try and fail but don't fail to try :)

• #1,535
You CAN compare apples and oranges. In fact its much harder to compare two identical apples.

• #1,536
"If I had it in me to kill him, the least I could have done was make it as humane as possible"

Jodi Arias

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/15/3790832/prosecutors-play-voicemail-in.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,537
Miles to go before I Sleep, and Miles to go before I Sleep

• #1,538
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else is even more human.

• #1,539
I like Om's quote I have in my sig.

Energy is like Om's bank account. He knows it exists, but has never seen it. It magically has a higher quantity every two weeks, apparently because work has been performed on the system.
-OmCheeto on Energy

• #1,540
John Galt said:
"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

By Ayn Rand.