1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FB Diagram problem

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

Is my sketch(illustration) and fbd correct? Is T(orange) = T (blue)?

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, for the bucket. The fbd of the pulley is not correct, your forces are not in the right direction, and there is an additional force on the pulley not shown at the point where it is supported. But don't worry about the fbd of the pulley, since you don't need that one.
    Yes, as long as the pulley is frictionless and massless.
  4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    can you give me the correct fbd for the pulley? I just wanna know.
  5. Jan 6, 2009 #4
    I think fbd: (pulley) should be fbd: (hand)? is it correct?
  6. Jan 7, 2009 #5
    As Jay mentioned, you don't need the force diagram for the pulley since all it does in this question is change the direction of a force. In this case, a force F causes a tension T in the rope, which is redirected to pull the block upwards.

Perhaps what you need is a force body diagram for the hand/thing that provides the force F.
  7. Jan 7, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

jaseh86 is correct. If you want to know the free body diagram of the pulley,which must be anchored to a table or such, you have T acting to the right, and T acting down (the rope tension), and for equilibrium, you must have the table supporting reaction force, R, acting up and to the left at a 45 degree angle thru the center of the pulley (R= T/cos45 = 1.414T). But don't fool with it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?