1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FBD for tri-pod jack stand?

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A jack-stand with three equally spaced legs (120 degrees) are connected to a center tube is loaded axially with 36,000 pounds. Each leg has a horizontal cross member 11 inches from the ground. All connections are welded. Set up FBD and find reaction forces.

2. Relevant equations
    ∑Fy = 0
    ∑Fx = 0
    ∑M_x = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess I'm confused about the connections being rigid and welded. Most structures I have seen in examples are assumed to be pinned and therefore do not transmit moment/shear loads. Solving globally for

∑Fy = 0
    36,000 = 3*Na = 0
    Na = 12,000 (Vertical reaction at each foot contacting ground)
    The horizontal reaction at each foot is the opposition of friction:
    Fa = μsNa
    Fa = (0.5*12000) = 6000 (I use a μs = 0.5 for concrete/steel)

Summing moments about A:
    ∑Ma = (15*R_dy) + (15*R_cy) - (28*R_cx) = 0
    ∑Fy = Na - R_dy - R_cy = 0
    ∑Fx = R_cx - Fa = 0

R_cx = 6000

Plugging everything in I get R_dy = 0?? So DB is a zero force member then if CB is in compression? I would think the 36,000 would transform some load to the member DB. The other thing I'm confused about is there a reaction at point B between the angled leg and the cross-member? I don't know if each of these points would have a bending moment associated with it either since they are rigid and not pinned.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See previous thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted