Comparing F(a) and F(n) for a Tennis Ball-Racquet Collision

In summary, the question is asking whether the applied force (F(a)) or the normal force (F(n)) is larger when a tennis ball hits a racquet. According to Newton's second law, these forces are equal because they are both receiving the same force. However, due to the different masses of the ball and racquet, the ball experiences a larger acceleration. The equal and opposite forces between the ball and racquet are due to Newton's third law. The racquet, being heavier and anchored to the player's hands, experiences a more complex acceleration due to the impulsive nature of the event.
vysis

Homework Statement

for an FDB of an tennis ball hitting the racquet. Is the F(a)=F(n) or is F(a) larger then F(n).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that F(a) = F(n). According to Newton's second law, they both receive the same force, however since the tennis ball has less mass, it receiver a larger acceleration then the tennis racquet (which is also anchored by the player's arm).

Im pretty sure I am right, but it's always good to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
vysis said:

Homework Statement

for an FDB of an tennis ball hitting the racquet. Is the F(a)=F(n) or is F(a) larger then F(n).
What do you mean by F(a) and F(n)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that F(a) = F(n). According to Newton's second law, they both receive the same force, however since the tennis ball has less mass, it receiver a larger acceleration then the tennis racquet (which is also anchored by the player's arm).
This is not Newton's 2nd law.
Im pretty sure I am right, but it's always good to be sure.
Draw a FBD of the ball, not the racquet. What forces act on the ball? The problem is not asking for acceleration.

PhanthomJay said:
What do you mean by F(a) and F(n)?

F(a) = applied force
F(n) = Normal force

This is not Newton's 2nd law.
umm, yea sry. I was typing a bit too quickly. Third and Second law.

Draw a FBD of the ball, not the racquet. What forces act on the ball? The problem is not asking for acceleration.
nono, i mean if a tennis racquet was to hit a tennis ball. Would the applied force and normal force be equal or would applied force be larger?

Neglecting the weight of the tennis ball, when the racquet hits the ball, there is only one force acting on the ball...the force of the racquet on the ball, which i guess you are calling an applied force, F(a),which is fine. Now by F(n), I think you mean the force of the ball on the racquet?

yea, the equal and opposite force excerted on the racquet stated by the 3rd law.

vysis said:
yea, the equal and opposite force excerted on the racquet stated by the 3rd law.
Well, you just answered your question!

lol, so to sum it up:

force exerted on ball = force exerted on racquet.
However, ball flies away extremely quickly and racquet doesn't is becaue racquet is heavier and therefore according to Newton's second low, it doesn't accelerate as much (and also since the racquet is anchored to the player's hands)

vysis said:
lol, so to sum it up:

force exerted on ball = force exerted on racquet.
Correct! (equal but opposite in direction...force exerted on ball by racquet = force exerted on racquet by ball)
However, ball flies away extremely quickly and racquet doesn't is becaue racquet is heavier and therefore according to Newton's second low, it doesn't accelerate as much (and also since the racquet is anchored to the player's hands)
Sort of. The acceleration of the ball will be in the direction of the average impulse force (which you refer to as the applied force), in accordance with Newton 2. The racquets acceleration (deceleration) is a much more complex phenomenon because of the additional varying force acting on it from the player, and the impulsive nature of the event, but it is still Newton 2 at work.

Last edited:
thank you so much

What is the purpose of comparing F(a) and F(n) for a Tennis Ball-Racquet Collision?

The purpose of this comparison is to understand the impact force exerted on a tennis ball during a collision with a racquet. This can provide insight into the mechanics of the collision and help improve player technique and equipment design.

How is F(a) different from F(n)?

F(a) refers to the average force applied to the ball during impact, while F(n) refers to the peak force applied to the ball. F(n) is typically higher than F(a) as it occurs at the moment of maximum deformation during the collision.

What factors can affect the values of F(a) and F(n)?

The values of F(a) and F(n) can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the ball, the angle of impact, the material and stiffness of the racquet, and the tension of the strings. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

How can the comparison of F(a) and F(n) be useful in tennis research?

By comparing F(a) and F(n), researchers can gain a better understanding of the forces involved in a tennis ball-racquet collision and how they can be manipulated to improve performance. This information can also be used to develop new training methods and equipment that can help reduce the risk of injury.

What are the limitations of comparing F(a) and F(n) for a Tennis Ball-Racquet Collision?

One limitation is that the values of F(a) and F(n) may vary depending on the specific conditions of the collision, such as the type of ball and the surface of the racquet. Additionally, these values may not accurately reflect the forces experienced during a real game situation due to the controlled nature of laboratory experiments.