1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fe3C Cementite HELP PLEASE

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Fe3C Cementite HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hello... I was wondering if someone would be able to help with the follow question...

Cementite: consider cementite. Calculate the amount of carbon in Cementite (1) as atomic % (2) as weight % [atomic weights Fe 56, c 12]. Place cementite on the Fe-C phase diagram; explain the nature of its appearance on the diagram, and comment on the nature and properties of cementite. Cementite is a key part of pearlite- how does it contribute to the structure of pearlite?

I totally understand the question apart from the atomic % and the weight %, if someone could help i would be so grateful, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Fe3C Cementite HELP PLEASE!!!!

The formula is Fe3C. That is three iron atoms per carbon. Express that ratio in terms of atoms Fe:total atoms in the formula to get Fe atomic %. Also find C:total atoms in the formula to get C atomic %. Convert that to weight to get Weight %.

4. May 20, 2010 #3

could you give me a example as this realy isnt my strong point, thanks

5. May 23, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fe3C contains ___ iron atoms, ___ carbon atoms, and ___ atoms in total.
    Using those numbers, what percentage of the total atoms are carbon?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook