Fea on single plate element-image attached

• Thread starter chandran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fea Plate
In summary, the von Mises stress for the 50x50x1 plate is 288. The beam theory estimate is 600. The analytical plate theory reference is 4200.
chandran
I just modeled a single square plate of size 50x50 and thick 1 and applied a force on two nodes(total force is hence 100). The software i used is nastran. The force vector is shown as arrow in the image.

My doubt is all the points in the plate should have the stress=100/area=100/(50*1)=2. But in the four nodes, two have a stress of 1.90 and two others have 2.03. Any body can explain this?

Attachments

• platefea.jpg
    platefea.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 412
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a somewhat typical difference arising from stress interpolation, from your point loading contrary to smooth boundary traction and overall accuracy of the FEM solution is typically worth a percent or two ... you got a bilinear element and the other end is fixed right? Check stress values at integration points, they are most accurate at those locations and should be closer to your reference.

yes, perennial the other end is fixed. But then why this? how to find the integration point?

I don't use Nastran myself but in FE codes you can typically specify from which location you want your output extracted. Usually the options are nodes, element centroids and integration points. So requestion, via some output option, a listed (numerical) output such that the location of the output is integration points should give you the specific results. I'll be interesting to see how much difference there is.

In bilinear isoparametric plates if you're using reduced 1*1 integration you've your single point at point (0,0) (the center of your element), alternatively you may have (and probably have) used a 2*2 grid integration scheme, where the points are located symmetrically at [itex]1/\sqrt{3}[/itex] (symmetrically with respect to both coordinates axes, 4 points in total).

perennial,
I have modeled a single plate element with 50x50 dimensions and thickness of 1. I fix the two nodes at one side and apply 50 force at each node at the other side. After running the static test
the result of von mises stress for that element is 288.

Manually if i consider the plate as a beam and apply the classical mechanics formula of stress=moment*y/moment of inertia(where y is 0.5(half the thk) in this case) i get the result for the stress as 600. Where I have gone wrong

Note:
moment=50(distance)*(50+50)=5000
y=0.5
moment of inertia=4.16

I have attached the image

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 452
First make sure you've comparable stresses, the beam theory estimate you've calculated compares to the uniaxial stress component of the plate rather than the von Mises stress. Then we can compare it to analytical plate theory reference using both biaxial plane stress components.

What is a single plate element?

A single plate element is a finite element used in structural analysis to represent a flat or curved plate. It is commonly used to model thin structures such as plates, shells, and membranes.

What is the significance of using plate elements in finite element analysis?

Plate elements are used in finite element analysis to more accurately model the behavior of thin structures. They can capture the bending, twisting, and shearing effects that occur in these structures under load.

What is "Fea" in the context of single plate element?

"Fea" stands for finite element analysis, a numerical method used to analyze the behavior of complex structures by dividing them into smaller, simpler elements. In the context of single plate elements, "Fea" refers to the application of this method to analyze the behavior of a single plate element.

What factors should be considered when using single plate elements in finite element analysis?

When using single plate elements in finite element analysis, factors such as plate thickness, material properties, and boundary conditions should be carefully considered to ensure accurate results.

What are some common challenges encountered when using single plate elements in finite element analysis?

Some common challenges encountered when using single plate elements in finite element analysis include meshing difficulties, convergence issues, and inaccurate results due to simplifications made in the element model.