1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feasibility of Open Heat Exchanger

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    Background:

I am a Chem Eng student at the University of Houston. I have worked on this problem quite a while but am stuck.

Question:

A stream of liquid A in an industrial plant, flowing at rate of 2kg/s, needs to be heated from 5 C to 90 C. Another stream or 5kg/s of liquid B, at a temperature of 60 C is available for possible heat exchange. Assuming that unlimited heat exchange is possible with the environment (which is at 20 C), can heating of stream A be accomplished with no external work input?

-If your answer is yes, show a schematic of your proposed process, and compute the flow rate and exit temperature of stream B and the rate of heat exchange (if any) with the environment.

-If your answer is No, provide a full quantitative justification for this claim. the heat capacities at constant pressure of the two liquids are 3Kj/Kg K for A and 2Kj/kg K for B, independent of temperature.

My attempt is attached (pdf). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?