Fecal transplants

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, fecal transplants. Miracle cure or passing fad.

The Enema of Your Enemy is Your Friend

You can even do this at home. All you need is a bottle of saline, a 2-quart enema bag, and one standard kitchen blender.

Answers and Replies

Bob! PLEASE take this down. I am not opening the link.
There are so few places of sanity in this wierded out world of ours.
PLEASE let Physicsforums stay one of them.

:cry:

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Bob! PLEASE take this down. I am not opening the link.
There are so few places of sanity in this wierded out world of ours.
PLEASE let Physicsforums stay one of them.

:cry:

How long have you been around the General Discussion forum again?

You must not have been around when Moonbear told us about her electroejaculator or when we discussed whether to fold or scrunch. And you definitely must not have been around here for National Talk Like a Pirate Day. :rofl:

Lacy, it's okay. We're welcoming you to join us. You'll love it. :devil:

Evo
Mentor
It makes sense, but as stated, getting research grants when there is no money to be made is tough. Perhaps it will be possible to clean up the poop and inject just the beneficial stuff.

Last edited:
That would suck to go to the doctor and come out with poop in your lungs.

Evo
Mentor
That would suck to go to the doctor and come out with poop in your lungs.
Yeah, I would prefer the "bottom up" scenario.

what happened to eating yogurt? the whole thing stinks, if you ask me.

turbo
Gold Member
I have a 3rd cousin that suffers awfully from Crohn's. I'm sure he would try this if there was a chance to get some relief (or even a cure). I haven't seen him for a couple of years - wonder if there are any gastro-enterologists willing to try something this "out there"?

i think crohn's is autoimmune. not sure how this would help.

turbo
Gold Member
i think crohn's is autoimmune. not sure how this would help.
Crohn's is not well-understood.

Scientists do not know if the abnormality in the functioning of the immune system in people with Crohn’s disease is a cause, or a result, of the disease. Research shows that the inflammation seen in the GI tract of people with Crohn’s disease involves several factors: the genes the patient has inherited, the immune system itself, and the environment. Foreign substances, also referred to as antigens, are found in the environment. One possible cause for inflammation may be the body’s reaction to these antigens, or that the antigens themselves are the cause for the inflammation. Scientists have found that high levels of a protein produced by the immune system, called tumor necrosis factor (TNF), are present in people with Crohn’s disease.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/

I saw this before on discovery health. Some GI problems are clearly related to disturbances of the flora in the gut and transporting some fecal matter of a healthy person to a sick one could very well help to stimulate recovery of flora to proper levels.

Borek
Mentor
This is one of these things that are at the same time disgusting and perfectly fecal.

Sorry, I meant "logical".

Not directed at anyone in the thread, just the notion of a "fecal transplant"
[PLAIN]http://www.grim-planet.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/jesus_facepalm.jpg [Broken]

btw... at least an electroejaculator serves a purpose in breeding animals... this is potentially dangerous.

Say, have you crazy birds talked about "penile plethysmography" yet? :smile?

Last edited by a moderator: